Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by columbia »

Green/vinegar slaw.

Pork, slaw, onion and cilantro + verde salsa tacos on the menu for tonight. 8-)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 before dinner:
Spoiler:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Is allowing cooking oil to freeze a bad thing? I had a 5 gallon box of peanut oil from frying turkeys. There was a bit left over and I left it in the garage, and it froze. letting it thaw out now..
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I don't think it'll really hurt anything. It'll still be oil for deep frying. It'd be almost like melting butter, letting it solidify, then remelting it... it's still butter.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

What store has the best bottled Jamacian Jerk wing sauce?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Buffalo wild wings
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

FreeCandy44 wrote:What store has the best bottled Jamacian Jerk wing sauce?
I just bought some jamacian jerk sauce for our dinner on tuesday. I don't remember off hand what it was called or if it's any good, but I'll let you know.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

viva la ben wrote:Buffalo wild wings
great call. i love their sauces and forget they sell them to go.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I couldn't find a Jamaican jerk sauce at the settlers ridge market district. I've done ribs glazed with the sauce from bw3 and if was fantastic.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My buddy has a butcher shop that he only opens really around deer season. he bought one of these last year:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cab ... t104668380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People are still complaining of freezer burnt meat. I find it hard to believe and mine from last year was fine. What can be done? better bags? freezing in water?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

that's a pretty serious looking vacuum packer. My dad has one of the very very cheap ones for his deer meat. Keeps it pretty well in the freezer for a year or so. If anything i'd say it's the bags, but that seems hard to believe.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

mac5155 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Buffalo wild wings
great call. i love their sauces and forget they sell them to go.
Bww does have a good jerk sauce. Good call!
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

count2infinity wrote:that's a pretty serious looking vacuum packer. My dad has one of the very very cheap ones for his deer meat. Keeps it pretty well in the freezer for a year or so. If anything i'd say it's the bags, but that seems hard to believe.
Yeah I mean he runs a budget operation and asked me to look up online what he can do. My suggestion was to tell his folks to eat the meat quicker.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:What store has the best bottled Jamacian Jerk wing sauce?
Grace Jerk Sauce/Marinade

They have it at our WalMart or ethnic markets frequently carry it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

This is what we picked up tonight at Wegmans today: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reviews seem pretty good.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

count2infinity wrote:This is what we picked up tonight at Wegmans today: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walkerswood is also good. That and Grace are what I've seen sold in Jamaica. (Although I make my own when I have the time.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:My buddy has a butcher shop that he only opens really around deer season. he bought one of these last year:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cab ... t104668380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People are still complaining of freezer burnt meat. I find it hard to believe and mine from last year was fine. What can be done? better bags? freezing in water?
That's a chamber vac, which means it will pull a true vacuum and not just remove air. (For example, you can instantly pickle things in a chamber vac) If he has customers complaining of freezer burn, he's not using the vac chamber right. The chamber will evacuate all air out of the package, and without air there can be no freezer burn; properly packaged and sealed products should last years without any measurable burn.
blackjack68 wrote:Grace Jerk Sauce/Marinade
Can't speak to their jerk sauce/marinade, but their Scotch bonnet sauce is for real. I maintain active jars of it at home and at work, and it is the only condiment I've seen on the tables of every Jamaican restaurant I've ever been to. Some have Eaton's (another favorite), some have Walkerswood (meh).... but all have Grace.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Mrs Tif offered to make chili this weekend. She cooks perhaps twice a year, and each time it will be chili. I do not complain, because I love to cook, and her chili is pretty good.

This time, however, I put two restrictions on her. No beans, and no recipe. The result was, by far, the best batch of chili she's ever made.

columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Chuck roast?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

blackjack68 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:This is what we picked up tonight at Wegmans today: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walkerswood is also good. That and Grace are what I've seen sold in Jamaica. (Although I make my own when I have the time.)
Here's a jerk marinade I use with good results. As close to authentic as I've found...and it has rum in it.

Caribbean Jerk Chicken
Makes six servings
Spoiler:
1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup muscovado or dark brown sugar
3 to 9 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 bunches scallions, finely chopped (green and white parts)
1/2 cup oil
Zest and juice of 4 limes
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup dark rum (I use Appleton’s)
1 (4- to 6-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces

1. In a large bowl, combine the peppercorns, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, salt, sugar, peppers, garlic, ginger, scallions, oil, lime zest and juice, vinegar, and rum. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.

2. Place the chicken and marinade in a large sealable plastic bag. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag. Place the bag in the refrigerator and marinate the chicken overnight, up to 24 hours.

3. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill on an oiled rack over medium-high heat until the meat is firm and the juices run clear, or a thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees. Remove the chicken to a platter and set aside for a few minutes before serving.

Note: Muscovado sugar owes its rich color and deep flavor to its high molasses content. It can be found at most cooking- and baking-supply stores. Wear gloves while chopping the Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers because the oils can sting your hands. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling the peppers.
With that said, I don't think authentic has rum in it, but it's good.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:My buddy has a butcher shop that he only opens really around deer season. he bought one of these last year:

That's a chamber vac, which means it will pull a true vacuum and not just remove air. (For example, you can instantly pickle things in a chamber vac) If he has customers complaining of freezer burn, he's not using the vac chamber right. The chamber will evacuate all air out of the package, and without air there can be no freezer burn; properly packaged and sealed products should last years without any measurable burn.
So what could he be doing wrong? He puts the bag in, seals the meat, then removes it. I didn't think you could use it "wrong"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Chuck roast?
Other end... round.
mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

So what could he be doing wrong? He puts the bag in, seals the meat, then removes it. I didn't think you could use it "wrong"
He might not be pulling a full vacuum. The whole process with that unit is supposed to be about 2 minutes start-to-finish in three step; pull vacuum (40-50 secs), seal (1m15sec-1m20sec), cool (couple seconds). The unit itself might be defective, or have worn seals.

Does he do the freezing, or that up to the individual customers? Slow freezing could cause problems.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Oh, another tip for cooking jerk stuffs. In Jamaica they use charcoal from the wood of pimento trees..... which is where allspice comes from. So if you don't want to spend $40 for a small bag of pimento charcoal, you can cheat the flavor a little bit by upping the amount of allspice in the recipe by 50% and by throwing a big handful of allspice berries onto your grill about five minutes before cooking. Close the lid and let the smoke from the burning allspice permeate the cooking area.

We had a Caribbean-themed cookout a couple years ago, and I bought pimento charcoal. It's hardwood, so it burns hotter and faster than briquettes...... and was largely useless. Burned so fast I ran out of charcoal 1-hr into the party.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote: He might not be pulling a full vacuum. The whole process with that unit is supposed to be about 2 minutes start-to-finish in three step; pull vacuum (40-50 secs), seal (1m15sec-1m20sec), cool (couple seconds). The unit itself might be defective, or have worn seals.

Does he do the freezing, or that up to the individual customers? Slow freezing could cause problems.
I believe he usually freezes. Maybe that is the issue. I know it doesnt take that long start to finish. I think you can set the vac level, and it's at like 30.. guessing that is seconds. It takes maybe 45 start-to-finish.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, if he's only running it 45 seconds in total then he's either not pulling a full vacuum on the product or not sealing it properly. There's still air inside the bags, and that's causing the freezer burn.

Those time values I cited were from the unit's manual that I found online.