RIP Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by JS© »

FreeCandy44 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Luigi's dead!
Aww....there goes that Super Mario Brothers Super Show reunion I was hoping for.
actually it's more likely to happen now.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

RIP - inspiration for the Doritos Los Tacos.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/doritos-l ... -41/ncBfm/
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

[youtube][/youtube]
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Can't watch that right now... McNugget related?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Nelson mandela.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Nelson Mandela = dead

RIP
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/world/afr ... ?hpt=hp_t1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Regardless of what you may think of him, Mandela was a hugely important and influential figure. Perhaps one of the most important figures of the last 100 years.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I had no idea he cofounded what was essentially a terrorists organization that engaged in bombings against government targets that caused civilian deaths.

He obviously did a lot of good later as President of South Africa, although makes me question his overall legacy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I had no idea he cofounded what was essentially a terrorists organization that engaged in bombings against government targets that caused civilian deaths.

He obviously did a lot of good later as President of South Africa, although makes me question his overall legacy.
All rebels are terrorists.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I always previously thought his efforts to appeal apartheid were non violent. You can rebel against authority without resorting to violence.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I always previously thought his efforts to appeal apartheid were non violent. You can rebel against authority without resorting to violence.
Yea, and? Would South Africa be the nation it is today without him? Being non-violent doesn't always yield the results we expect. Sometimes you have to fight for things.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yes but killing innocent people is not the way to do it. Based on that line of thinking it was acceptable for Al Qaeda to blow up the WTC.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Yea, in their world it is acceptable. As the receiver of the attack we view it differently. The majority of us have never been placed in a situation where we saw no other way of being heard. We live in a modern society of a believed sophistication. Where innocents must be protected. But that thinking has been realitively recent and we can not discount the atrocities committed by the apartheid that created the discontent. Revolutions are rarely bloodless, and this is just another example.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It is estimated that around half a million German civilians and about 350,000 Japanese civilians died as a result of Allied strategic bombing in World War II.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

tifosi77 wrote:It is estimated that around half a million German civilians and about 350,000 Japanese civilians died as a result of Allied strategic bombing in World War II.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Its the old theory of bringing war to the civilians to break a nation's back.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

As I've said in 'other threads', the definition of terrorism is entirely dependent on which side of the explosion you are on.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

tifosi77 wrote:As I've said in 'other threads', the definition of terrorism is entirely dependent on which side of the explosion you are on.
Agreed.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Personally his earlier history hurts his legacy some in my eyes. It doesn't discount his actions to end the evil that was apartheid.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

There goes this thread.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Is she a Harvard student?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

RIP
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Yes but killing innocent people is not the way to do it. Based on that line of thinking it was acceptable for Al Qaeda to blow up the WTC.
Um, no. Not even close to the same thing.

http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=3430
Spoiler:
Having said this, I must deal immediately and at some length with the question of violence. Some of the things so far told to the Court are true and some are untrue. I do not, however, deny that I planned sabotage. I did not plan it in a spirit of recklessness, nor because I have any love of violence. I planned it as a result of a calm and sober assessment of the political situation that had arisen after many years of tyranny, exploitation, and oppression of my people by the Whites.

I admit immediately that I was one of the persons who helped to form Umkhonto we Sizwe, and that I played a prominent role in its affairs until I was arrested in August 1962.

In the statement which I am about to make I shall correct certain false impressions which have been created by State witnesses. Amongst other things, I will demonstrate that certain of the acts referred to in the evidence were not and could not have been committed by Umkhonto. I will also deal with the relationship between the African National Congress and Umkhonto, and with the part which I personally have played in the affairs of both organizations. I shall deal also with the part played by the Communist Party. In order to explain these matters properly, I will have to explain what Umkhonto set out to achieve; what methods it prescribed for the achievement of these objects, and why these methods were chosen. I will also have to explain how I became involved in the activities of these organizations.

I deny that Umkhonto was responsible for a number of acts which clearly fell outside the policy of the organisation, and which have been charged in the indictment against us. I do not know what justification there was for these acts, but to demonstrate that they could not have been authorized by Umkhonto, I want to refer briefly to the roots and policy of the organization.

I have already mentioned that I was one of the persons who helped to form Umkhonto. I, and the others who started the organization, did so for two reasons. Firstly, we believed that as a result of Government policy, violence by the African people had become inevitable, and that unless responsible leadership was given to canalize and control the feelings of our people, there would be outbreaks of terrorism which would produce an intensity of bitterness and hostility between the various races of this country which is not produced even by war. Secondly, we felt that without violence there would be no way open to the African people to succeed in their struggle against the principle of white supremacy. All lawful modes of expressing opposition to this principle had been closed by legislation, and we were placed in a position in which we had either to accept a permanent state of inferiority, or to defy the Government. We chose to defy the law. We first broke the law in a way which avoided any recourse to violence; when this form was legislated against, and then the Government resorted to a show of force to crush opposition to its policies, only then did we decide to answer violence with violence.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I had no idea he cofounded what was essentially a terrorists organization that engaged in bombings against government targets that caused civilian deaths.

what the...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

RIP Nelson Mandela