TSN loses NHL rights

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

TSN loses NHL rights

Post by tfrizz »

With the currently broadcasting deal coming to a close, TSN (Bell) has been outbid for NHL broadcasting rights that begin in 2014-15. Rogers successfully won the bid with a 12-year $5.2-billion contract that includes rights to all games on all platforms and includes running both NHL Centre Ice and NHL Gamecentre Live.

CBC will continue to broadcast Hockey Night in Canada and TVA will take over French language broadcasts from RDS, as they were selected for sublicensing by Rogers.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6931 ... L|NHL|home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I'm understanding this correctly, Rogers will have the ability to air up to 6 games at a time "nationally" across their networks - Sportsnet East, Sportsnet Ontario, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet One, and Sportsnet 360.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: TSN loses NHL rights

Post by shoeshine boy »

:scared:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I had heard about this going down yesterday and was quite shocked. TSN really hasn't been willing to break the bank here. Lots to consider.

- So glad that CBC didn't lose HNIC. That's been a staple of my, well, life for several years now. That's an institution. If only Glenn Healy and P.J. Stock would fight to the death and tie so it can be more enjoyable. Hopefully they can get back the HNIC theme now that TSN probably won't have much use for it... :pop:

- TSN does a really good job, I think. Their broadcasts are of very high quality, they have great commentators in Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert (not counting Dennis Beyak on TSN-Jets, which will remain as it is a regional thing, but I like him too). Pierre McGuire is the most knowledgeable color guy in the game and they had him, Ray Ferraro is right there and isn't afraid to be critical of terrible plays and players, which is very refreshing. I don't doubt that he ends up on HNIC, he lives in Vancouver, he could do the HNIC late game and honestly, I wouldn't be that upset if Kelly Hrudey was moved up to the primetime slot, I think he does a pretty good job.

- Big issue: Sportsnet is terrible. All of them, suck. Hopefully they get serious about their production and cast now that they are no longer just regional feeds...how many people went from Sportsnet to TSN in the last little while? How many go back? Dreger...I can't think of a crew that would be terribly good at doing national games. Maybe they can convince Gord Miller to come over, but I don't think they'd get Cuthbert as he is their #1 CFL guy. I'd honestly like to see them bring Peter Loubardias back because a) his big booming voice and great passion for the game b) he keeps Charlie Simmer from talking too much about God knows what... that would be their best shot at a national crew I'd think, unless I'm forgetting someone. Actually, better yet, Loubardias and Sam Cosentino if Sam ever wanted to get out of just doing junior hockey.

- But this will be interesting to see how shifts in personnel work. This reminds me of when Fox swiped the NFL (namely, the NFC) from CBS in the mid-1990's and all of their guys jumped ship (Dick Stockton, Pat Summerall, John Madden, Terry Bradshaw, etc.) to Fox. But, like it did for Fox, this might (will) really make Sportsnet a player in Canada as opposed to a desperate also-ran.

- It seems to me that TSN's coverage of the CFL essentially saved the league...what will TSN hype up now? The NBA? What about the rest of the country outside of Toronto? My feeling is that they don't care much for basketball outside of Toronto...does Vancouver still have a team? Maybe Bell should make a push to swipe the Buffalo Bills out from Rogers (and Bon Jovi) and move the team to Toronto...that would really make a splash...TSN can't even show junior hockey because Rogers (Sportsnet) owns the rights to that currently. Get ready for a lot of Raptors, Argos and Marlies I guess...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Hmm, misunderstood I guess previously, the deal is just with Rogers. They bought the whole sha-bang-a-bang...and is leasing out content to CBC (HNIC), RDS and TVA (French)...tfrizz, do you get RDS and TVA in Atlantic Canada? I was pretty sure RDS and TVA split Habs games with a majority being on RDS...I know RDS is TSN's sister station, but what the hell is on TVA? I've watched RDS before, but I'm not totally clear what TVA is...I'm guessing it's not owned by Rogers or else it would get all the Habs games...still I'm kind of surprised that Rogers will lease out 60 some odd games to TSN's sister station, but I guess they're largely different entities...TVA must not have wanted to re-arrange its primetime schedule (whatever that might consist of) for a full docket of Habs games (or they're waiting for the Nordiques to come back?)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My impression is that Sportsnet puts on a really low-rent show, when it comes to hockey...so this doesn't seem like a positive.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

columbia wrote:My impression is that Sportsnet puts on a really low-rent show, when it comes to hockey...so this doesn't seem like a positive.
Yes, they do. But like I said above, I gotta believe that they'll step up their game with their parent company putting down an investment like this.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

You would hope so...the last time I caught a Sportsnet broadcast it was like watching a cable access program. :lol:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:Hmm, misunderstood I guess previously, the deal is just with Rogers. They bought the whole sha-bang-a-bang...and is leasing out content to CBC (HNIC), RDS and TVA (French)...tfrizz, do you get RDS and TVA in Atlantic Canada? I was pretty sure RDS and TVA split Habs games with a majority being on RDS...I know RDS is TSN's sister station, but what the hell is on TVA? I've watched RDS before, but I'm not totally clear what TVA is...I'm guessing it's not owned by Rogers or else it would get all the Habs games...still I'm kind of surprised that Rogers will lease out 60 some odd games to TSN's sister station, but I guess they're largely different entities...TVA must not have wanted to re-arrange its primetime schedule (whatever that might consist of) for a full docket of Habs games (or they're waiting for the Nordiques to come back?)
Yeah, we get both RDS and TVA. I don't currently get RDS because it's in one of the add-on sports packages that I have no need to get. As for TVA, it's owned by Quebecor Media which is the parent company of, most notable, Videotron and Sun Media. I'm not quite sure of the availability, but I'm pretty sure it's included in the basic package from BellAliant.

In all honesty, this has the potential to be a very good thing for Canadian viewers but Sportsnet is going to have to up their production value and improve their game crews.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:- It seems to me that TSN's coverage of the CFL essentially saved the league...what will TSN hype up now? The NBA? What about the rest of the country outside of Toronto? My feeling is that they don't care much for basketball outside of Toronto...does Vancouver still have a team? Maybe Bell should make a push to swipe the Buffalo Bills out from Rogers (and Bon Jovi) and move the team to Toronto...that would really make a splash...TSN can't even show junior hockey because Rogers (Sportsnet) owns the rights to that currently. Get ready for a lot of Raptors, Argos and Marlies I guess...
I fully expect to see TSN strike a minor broadcasting deal with the AHL and possibly KHL to bring some hockey to the network. It won't be much, but it'll be better than nothing.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Sportsnet loses rights to junior games in a year or two...gotta think they'll go that route because it will tie into their World Juniors coverage. By the way, add that to the list of things that were completely irrelevant until the TSN hype machine got a hold of it...

How about Euro League soccer? I'd think they go that route before the KHL...plus, the KHL (live) comes on during their flagship program (Sportscentre), so tape delay KHL games in primetime? I think they'd rather go Lebron James than that route, to be honest...

Sportsnet is going to have a pretty full plate now with national NHL coverage...I doubt they hang on to Friday Night Hockey...are the Blue Jays shown nationally on Sportsnet or just SN-O?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

mikey, you're incredibly invested in to Canadian broadcasting for living in Philadelphia (based on your location).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Crankshaft wrote:mikey, you're incredibly invested in to Canadian broadcasting for living in Philadelphia (based on your location).
I watch a lot of hockey, and as a result, sometimes a good deal of what comes on before and after it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I kinda hope NBCSN picks up Bobby Mac, Dreger, Wardo, etc. and gets rid of the clowns currently in the studio.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MRandall25 wrote:I kinda hope NBCSN picks up Bobby Mac, Dreger, Wardo, etc. and gets rid of the clowns currently in the studio.
Too expensive, I'd think. Maybe Aaron Ward would come over or maybe Jeff O'Neill...but I doubt McKenzie would, and frankly, Sportsnet can take Dreger back...I doubt NBCSN is really looking to add staff, they got Doc Emrick (Devils) and Dave Strader (Coyotes) to be exclusive with them, they more or less swiped Darren Pang, they got Milbury from HNIC, and they nabbed one superstar in Pierre McGuire from TSN...I can't imagine they want or need to invest too much more in their crew...Emrick, Strader and McGuire can't be cheap...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:Sportsnet loses rights to junior games in a year or two...gotta think they'll go that route because it will tie into their World Juniors coverage. By the way, add that to the list of things that were completely irrelevant until the TSN hype machine got a hold of it...

How about Euro League soccer? I'd think they go that route before the KHL...plus, the KHL (live) comes on during their flagship program (Sportscentre), so tape delay KHL games in primetime? I think they'd rather go Lebron James than that route, to be honest...

Sportsnet is going to have a pretty full plate now with national NHL coverage...I doubt they hang on to Friday Night Hockey...are the Blue Jays shown nationally on Sportsnet or just SN-O?
Blue Jays games are typically national.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I read that this deal alone can add nearly $3 million to next year's cap.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

MRandall25 wrote:I kinda hope NBCSN picks up Bobby Mac, Dreger, Wardo, etc. and gets rid of the clowns currently in the studio.
That's what I hate most about this, the fantastic hockey personalities that I've grown to love on TSN. They are very well informed, funny and beat the piss out of each other when one makes a gaffe. I suspect some might make the jump to Rogers....
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Some of these guys moving FT the NHLN wouldn't be the worst outcome.
Their current crew is...well...not the best.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Hmm...that's a good point, columbia. I wonder what's more low-budget right now, NHLN or Rogers Sportsnet? I know who will get the biggest push before next season, but right now...eh...they're both pretty shoddy. Getting a couple TSN guys over to NHLN would at least get the names pronounced correctly on a more regular basis at least...

I don't think there's a shortage of NHL players that are a part of the process...I see Jamal Mayers a lot more now, so I'm guessing he's gotten properly coached up to do this regularly...the problem with bringing in an Aaron Ward or Jeff O'Neill, both are somewhat prone to outbursts, at NHLN is instructed to take a very, very neutral stance on basically everything that could be negative. Positive or nothing. Nothing controversial.

Like when Holtby was attacked by that no good street tough Ray Emery, they did the highlights of the Capitals/Flyers game and when it came to discussing that nonsense, a beige alert went off through out the studio and everyone stuck their thumb in their ass, made a funny face, and moved on.

They seem intent on developing the younger talent like Schiiler and the other kid that does NHL Live with that drunken lunatic E.J. Hradek (name escapes me right now), so bringing in a guy like James Duthie seems unlikely and costly...

I think maybe I talked myself out of it...though, I would welcome it, certainly. I'm not sure NHLN has any interest in improving like NFL Network has done.
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rosey6629 »

Mikey287 has hit the nail on the head with his insights.

Sportsnet is amateur hour. Then again, my complaint with TSN was always OVER analysis. James Duthie. Ughh.. James Duthie. To be honest, I have had to force myself to never watch hockey intermissions unless its a CBC broadcast.
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rosey6629 »

I used to rely a lot on NHL Network. They were the only highlight show that showed NOTHING BUT HIGHLIGHTS. And not only that, they showed every goal of every game.

Now.... for some reason they think we want to hear another cliche player post game interview after each set of highlights because he's standing on the ice with his jersey off and a headset on. I love hockey but would die a happy man if I never ever saw another player interview.

Its equivalent to TSN phoning guys on trade deadline day. Who gives a KSDJLKFJDSKGHFKJGHSKFHGSK. It makes me want to stab my heart.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I really thought less was more with NHLN because the "more" has been largely garbage. Back in the day, they would go, "ok, here's the highlights of Vancouver/Calgary" and they'd cut to Jim Hughson calling the game on CBC and the audio associated with the play in question. That was awesome. Now, you got people talking over it, you don't see every goal...there used to be more saves and hits in the highlight packages, but now highlights have been replaced with Kevin Weekes trying to steal Stuart Scott's thunder about 20 years too late or, as rosey mentioned, those player interviews...

"uhh, ya know, we, uhh, just got back to basics, ya know, we, uh, ya know, we just battled through, and uh, made the plays we needed to make and uh, we, uh, ya know, we, uh, got the, uh, two, uh, two points..."

[stupid question because of the unwillingness or inability to be analytic about the game itself from one of the clown buckets back in the studio]

[player reaches for his sweat-soaked hair] "Yeah, uh, thanks Weekesy, I like to keep it short, especially in the summer..."

[back to the studio]

"When we skate back here on NHL tonight..."

Shut. the. ****. Up. Everyone. Just show videos of things, I'll figure it out from there...

There's no excuse not to have the HNIC doubleheader every Saturday night either...cutting into it for NHL Tonight or any other garbage is just pure nonsense...not one game, not a different game, not cutting away at intermissions, not anything. Click a button, put on CBC at 6:30 for ScotiaBank Hockey Tonight and walk away until Scott Oake and Kelly Hrudey are done talking to Roberto Luongo or Alexandre Burrows on After Hours. Period. Send everyone home. Tape one NHL Tonight while After Hours is going on, play it at 1:00 am or whatever and run it as many times as you damn well please...saves you money, gives fans what they want: less of you.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Sportsnet reminds me of KBL in broadcast quality. Which isn't a good thing.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

lol.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I think it was about four (?) years ago, when the NHLN was showing a complete, unfiltered feed of Hockey Day In Canada. They didn't even bother to cut away from an hour or so of CBC news, before they cut back to the HNIC pre-game.

That was weird and kind of enjoyable. We already have experts analyzing the games....just show them.