The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by Hockeynut! »

PensFanInDC wrote: Well allow me to retort :D

1) Considering that zombies don't follow roads or trails and just wonder aimlessly I think the odds are even higher that a horde finds a remote cabin.

2) "Supplies would be limited, but humans lived for centuries without Walmart." That's true. But we haven't had to in a long time and we've become adjusted to it now. Living off the land is possible but to throw someone who has never had to do it into a world where you are now forced to while at the same time becoming the prey of a dangerous predator is a lot to overcome.

3) Small, rural towns have lots of guns and ammo. And said guns and ammo would have probably been taken by the original owners and/or used against you when you come into the town.
And now me again. ;)

1. I really don't think the odds are higher. The zombies, as you've pointed out, are drawn to noise as noise = potential food. There's going to be much less noise in Southwest WV than say, Atlanta or New York City so the odds of them just stumbling upon an area with an extremely small population is slim. Besides, I've rented some awesome cabins in the mountains that were difficult to access (one was literally built against the side of the mtn) so most of the zombies would probably fall off the cliffs before they got there anyway. :lol:

2. True for city folks, but for those of us who grew up in the country, it wouldn't be as challenging. Medical supplies would be the big stumbling block, but even small towns have vets where you could get antibiotics. Actually, they'd have more vets than cities because many rural communities are so farm driven that the need to vets is higher. Of course, antibiotics and most medicines have a shelf life and would be worthless after just a few short years so this would quickly be a moot point wherever you lived. Hunting would be pretty easy, as there wouldn't be a hunting season any more where the deer population is thinned out, no cars to wipe them out either. And it's pretty easy to grow a small garden is you want tomatoes, corn, peppers, etc. Heck, you could even get some chickens and a couple cows for milk and eggs as these animals (if they hadn't starved) would be plentiful in rural area.

3. This could be an issue and I'd certainly never want to take over a town with a stronghold of good, God-fearing county folks who were smart enough to stay there and not head for the cities. ;) But an already abandoned town would be full of possibilities. And I'm also not suggesting holing up in said small town. I think the idea situation would be to be close one of these towns (within 10 or 15 mi) so you could go there when needed, but to live in a cabin in the woods, decreasing the chances that you'd be come upon by looting marauders, which would likely be seeking out towns/cities, not a cabin all by itself 10 miles from the nearest town.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Hockeynut! wrote:This isn't so much TWD related but more "zombie apocalypse" related, but here's one thought I have about this scenario.

America is a big country. There are lots of very, very small town which would be home to a few hundred people at the most. Why do these people insist on sticking around cities/suburbs? Why not strike off for one of these hole in a wall towns, shoot the 4 or 5 hundred zombies and then live a relatively peaceful, if rather boring, life? If I were in their shoes, I'd go to one of these towns, kill the zombies, then find myself a nice remote cabin and fill it up with guns (for protection and hunting), supplies and books to occupy my time. I certainly wouldn't be anywhere in the vicinity of a city with millions of potential zombies roaming around.
I live a bit outside Charlotte and I don't see how under the traditional Romero zombie outbreak where if you simply die you don't come back (or do you?) or even the one from the World War Z book that society wouldn't be fine after a few weeks. I can hole up in my house for a month or more with no issues.After that we are all pretty much screwed. Herschel's farm should have been safe I guess but they are fairly close still to Atlanta with a metro population of 5.5 million people that's a lot of potential zombies out there.

But thinking about a city like NY, 8 million people in the city and another 12 million around it, no means to support themselves, no where to go since it's an island, all those zombies would need to eventually be dealt with.

Now Kirkman adds a good wrinkle that everyone who dies turns so the number of zombies is not fixed. One thing I don't think he touched upon yet is if newborns are also infected and if eventually the plague will stop.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

They certainly have the option to explore the immunity issue.
I suppose it would bother many, however.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

JiriSlegr wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:What I wonder is what about decomposition? The sun and the elements are still acting on carbon based (former) life forms. We have seen badly deteriorated zombies...if most of the zombies were "created" with the initial outbreak - shouldn't they be near immobile and decomposed by now?
It's a good question, and something some recent authors have attempted to explore (while possibly ignoring science).

I recommend Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide if you haven't read it. In it, the zombie infection is in every cell and gives them a sort of...coating that slows down deterioration. Again, it's not scientific, but it's an attempt to make sense of a horde of undead cooking in the sun day after day without effect.

(Also read Brooks' World War Z. Great novel, great social commentary, and nothing like the film.)

We have seen a few biters in the show too weak to move or chew. I would guess that at some point that's how all of them will end up.
That is why I brought it up :fist: - because Max Brooks addressed it and the Walking Dead has not, in spite of the fact that they have shown deteriorated zombies. Been a bit since I read both books, but I believe they did start to slow down and deteriorate because I remember Brooks talking about newer vs older zombies and the fact that they had to worry more in colder regions when the Spring thaw came and unearthed some frozen/somewhat better preserved zombies.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

We're talking about the logistics of zombie survival, but with the muscle deterioration of many of the zombie, most of them would have like 0 strength to support their body. :lol:

I read a interview with Tom Savini talking about how he hates the fast moving zombies because they make no sense. They are decomposed, they can't move at the speed of an Olympic sprinter.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GaryRissling »

Technically, I don't think the fast moving zombies in 28 days/weeks later were dead first- it was just an infection on the living. Which is why I actually really liked those films much more than the classic zombie movies.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

The Dawn of the Dead remake had the fast zombies, which is what I believe Savini was referring to.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

It isn't even humans that would pose the most danger for a zombie. Animals would kill far more zombies than humans ever would. Animals alone would end the zombie threat. You just have to look past this kind of stuff when watching these shows.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

If you're arguing the validity of our claims about a fictitious crisis then our lives have lost ALL MEANING!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

That was about as convincing as Andrea's acting.
Spoiler:
That was harsh, sorry.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Grunthy wrote:It isn't even humans that would pose the most danger for a zombie. Animals would kill far more zombies than humans ever would. Animals alone would end the zombie threat. You just have to look past this kind of stuff when watching these shows.
How do you figure? Remember, zombies are dead/decaying/disgusting...I would think only the scavenger type animals would be interested...and even then a lot of the scavenger animals don't bother with things that are moving. And if an animal was in protective mode and a zombie stumbled into its territory - you still have to kill the brain and not just severely injure. The zombie isn't going to die from blood loss or something.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I would think that the zombies would eat up the dogs in relatively short order. :(
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

First of all there are tons of animals that both scavenge and hunt. So for those animals, zombies would be easy prey. The series has basically said animals don't get infected. And an animal that is cornered wouldnt need to kill the zombie, but it would most definitely permanently disable it.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Grunthy wrote:First of all there are tons of animals that both scavenge and hunt. So for those animals, zombies would be easy prey. The series has basically said animals don't get infected. And an animal that is cornered wouldnt need to kill the zombie, but it would most definitely permanently disable it.
Again...animals typically don't hunt something that is dead. I would think they would not even track the scent...probably go away from it to avoid whatever killed it. How appetizing is a pus filled coagulated corpse? I wouldn't call zombies "prey" at all. And out of all the scavenger animals...how many eat spoiled/rotten stuff? Maybe I am wrong, but that is my thought whenever I think about those animals. I think we should be seeing more bugs eating the zombies though...maybe some birds pecking at the slower ones.

Haha...this is why I love this genre...makes you think. What animal experts do we have here on LGP? Someone let us know if the scent of death repels animals at all and how they react to that particular scent. This all would involve an in depth study because you also have to take into account the animals own "normal" food supply. But then you have to think about any surviving humans and an increase in hunting (but decrease in humans), the overall impact to the ecosystem on the animals, the inevitable disasters that would occur without humans managing things (power plants, dams, etc)...and so much more.

I have no doubt lots of animals would attack a wandering zombie if one stumbled into an animals territory, but would the animal destroy the brain? Or would it just attack it and then retreat?
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

A lot of cats, mountain lions and etc., would hunt them. They eat basically anything. And they attack and break the neck of their prey. So while they may not kill the brain, tge zombie would be useless.

Animals eat road kill all the time, like coyotes, bears occasionally. Those are rotting corpses.
JiriSlegr

Post by JiriSlegr »

For those of you interested (and related to my earlier comments):

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/ ... elt-abused" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If the virus targeted the adrenal glands and made them hyper then maybe the speed is explainable but they would still rot if they are "dead".

The Virus from 28 days later and I guess even in the WWZ movie they aren't really dead.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Yeah those are not the living dead. Those are the infected.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Well, what happens in the colder climates wouldn't a zombie freeze solid? Just move north, and during the winter travel down south to bust up some zombiecicles
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Grunthy wrote:A lot of cats, mountain lions and etc., would hunt them. They eat basically anything. And they attack and break the neck of their prey. So while they may not kill the brain, tge zombie would be useless.

Animals eat road kill all the time, like coyotes, bears occasionally. Those are rotting corpses.
Birds. A murder of crows might pick at a single corpse for a while, but a vulture can eat ~2 lbs. in a single sitting, so a wake of vultures could eat a corpse no problem.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

viva la ben wrote:Well, what happens in the colder climates wouldn't a zombie freeze solid? Just move north, and during the winter travel down south to bust up some zombiecicles
Again, the food/shelter issue. Food is more sparse in northern climates.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Has anyone made a movie where the infection can spread to animals??? Imagine a zombie vulture after eating a human one...oh that would suck to have the birds be zombies!
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I did see a movie that bring up a good point that I have never seen in other zombie films/shows. Nuclear power plants have the ability to run unmanned for 3-5 weeks tops before melting down. Most of North America and Europe would be unsafe from radiation.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

PensFanInDC wrote:I did see a movie that bring up a good point that I have never seen in other zombie films/shows. Nuclear power plants have the ability to run unmanned for 3-5 weeks tops before melting down. Most of North America and Europe would be unsafe from radiation.

Don't most if not all North American power plants have Emergency shutdowns? I'm sure most would have that initiated.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

JeffDFD wrote:Has anyone made a movie where the infection can spread to animals??? Imagine a zombie vulture after eating a human one...oh that would suck to have the birds be zombies!

Resident Evil has Zombie animals.