Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by columbia »

It depends on how much $$$ you have.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

1%ers
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

If I had that much disposable money, I'd pay that for dinner at Noma in a heartbeat. When you go to places like that, it's so much more than just a meal. It's a totally immersive sensory escapade that you will remember for the rest of your life.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It's not difficult to drop $250 on dinner+wine for two, so I wouldn't think twice about that bill, if I were an investment banker or something like that.

Speaking of enjoying yourself....had some 10 year old tawny port last week for dessert. What a pleasure and we would have ordered a 20 or 30 year old, had they been on the menu.
Life is short....enjoy yourself. :thumb:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Not difficult to drop $250 for two? Man... I'm not sure I've ever paid more than $150 or so for dinner for two.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Mrs Tif's birthday is early March, mine is early April. We usually go out for one whiz bang dinner somewhere in between to celebrate.

The last really expensive meal we had was at Restaurant August on my 40th b-day in NOLA; I think that came in at ~$350 (two glasses of wine each) We paid over $400 for our meal at The Bazaar, but these are the kinds of things you save up for over the course of months. (That meal included 13 courses, four cocktails and four glasses of wine/cava, fwiw)

We seriously plan our trips largely around where we want to eat, and then budget accordingly. There are two restaurants in the San Sebastián area of Spain that I really want to go to; Arzak and Mugaritz. When we go next year, we'll probably only be able to hit one of them, otherwise we'll have to cut our trip short by like three days.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I don't think I've ever exceeded $200 pre-tip. Whatever my record is now is probably going to hold up, since going out to eat a normal meal isn't really possible with our dietary restrictions.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

tifosi77 wrote:When we go next year, we'll probably only be able to hit one of them, otherwise we'll have to cut our trip short by like three days.
I enjoy good food, but this seems like an easy decision. At least it would be for me, but then I enjoy travelling even more than I enjoy good food. :wink:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i think my most expensive dinner for 2 was aureole in NYC that was like 275 i think

re: the 10 yo tawny port. an awesome gift idea i have started doing for momumental events (weddings, anniverseries, birth of child) (and if it is available) is to get a small bottle of vintage port for them to open. when my bro got married, i was able to get him a vintage taylor floodgate from their wedding year. cool gift to open on like a 15 year wedding anniversary,
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

shmenguin wrote:I don't think I've ever exceeded $200 pre-tip. Whatever my record is now is probably going to hold up, since going out to eat a normal meal isn't really possible with our dietary restrictions.
i eclipsed that the other day at the back porch. drinks add up in a hurry.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

tifosi77 wrote:It's a totally immersive sensory escapade that you will remember for the rest of your life.
I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but when I read this reply, it made me think of the South Park Smug episode when Kyle's family moves to San Fransisco and everyone sniffs their own farts out of wine glasses. :lol:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Back in the early 2000's I had the omakase at the newly opened Morimoto in center city. They had 3 different levels back then, and iirc we all got the $120 version(dishes included foi gras, truffles, and caviar). The specialty cocktails, and sake shot the bill up to ~1500. Meeting Masaharu Morimoto was priceless. Not too sure when I'll do that level dining again.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I would gladly drop several hundred for a great dining experience that we will enjoy and remember. But with places like Noma, I just don't think I would enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a big foodie, and I will try pretty much everything. But their menu does nothing for me.

-Onions and fermented pears
-Blueberry and ants (yes, live ants)
-Bitter greens and nasturtium

When it gets to this point, the "foodiness" aspect goes way too far for me. But I won't hesitate to drop a sizable sum at places like Aureole. To each their own, for sure.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Crankshaft wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:It's a totally immersive sensory escapade that you will remember for the rest of your life.
I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but when I read this reply, it made me think of the South Park Smug episode when Kyle's family moves to San Fransisco and everyone sniffs their own farts out of wine glasses. :lol:
I know, I know..... it can sound so pretentious talking about food and restaurants like this. :face:

:lol:
shafnutz05 wrote:I would gladly drop several hundred for a great dining experience that we will enjoy and remember. But with places like Noma, I just don't think I would enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a big foodie, and I will try pretty much everything. But their menu does nothing for me.

-Onions and fermented pears
-Blueberry and ants (yes, live ants)
-Bitter greens and nasturtium

When it gets to this point, the "foodiness" aspect goes way too far for me. But I won't hesitate to drop a sizable sum at places like Aureole. To each their own, for sure.
Those descriptions are deliberately minimalist to underscore the fundamental flavors at play. But remember that some of the preparations might take hours to put together. In the case of restaurants that do in-house charcuterie or fermentation, an ingredient could take anywhere from a couple days to a year or more to be ready to use. But that just might appear on the menu as 'fermented pears'.

One of my favorite fish recipes is from On The Line, which is basically the Le Bernardin cookbook from 2008. The dish is called masala-spiced crispy black bass with Pekin duck-green papaya salad in a ginger-cardamom broth, which all sounds fairly straightforward. But to make that broth, you must first make a tomato chutney that has 10 ingredients. Half a cup of that chutney is then added with 9 or 10 other ingredients to make the actual broth that goes to the plate.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

@tifosi77

https://www.inkling.com/modernistcuisin ... nt=landing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I already have it (and the big one) 'digitally'. (Ahem) But an interactive app sounds enticing. Not sure which iOS my iPad 1 runs, but the only bummer about this app seems to be that it has been optimized for the iPhone. Would much rather have tablet optimization.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I just saw that the Android version is 'coming soon', so that's a bonus.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

what are some different things to serve with rice? brocolli is kind of an obvious one.

im trying to eat a lot less meat. what does a more authentic asian rice dish include?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

peas are good
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

egg fried rice...egg soy sauce and diced up veggies (carrots, celery, onion). throw some peas in there too.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Snow peas, yum.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

shmenguin wrote:I don't think I've ever exceeded $200 pre-tip. Whatever my record is now is probably going to hold up, since going out to eat a normal meal isn't really possible with our dietary restrictions.
I am pretty sure my pre-tip record is like $95. And it was at a churriscaria.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

pittsoccer33 wrote:what are some different things to serve with rice? brocolli is kind of an obvious one.

im trying to eat a lot less meat. what does a more authentic asian rice dish include?
Off the cuff recipe development!

Get a can of coconut milk, divide the milk into two equal parts. Use one part (with an equal volume of water) to cook the rice, with a bruised piece of lemongrass and a peeled 1" piece of ginger for aromatics. Remove the lemongrass and ginger and keep the rice warm.

Take the reserved bit of coconut milk and add to it an equal volume of fish stock (you can get day-fresh fish stock at Whole Foods), and the same aromatics as the rice, but also with 8-10 black peppercorns, a broken up piece of star anise, and a couple leaves of basil (Thai variety if you can find it). Bring to a quick boil then simmer until the volume is reduced by 2/3. Strain, reserve and keep warm.

Julienne up some red bell pepper, some white onion, and smash up a little bit of garlic and ginger. Saute that in hot oil for no more than about 3 minutes; you just want to make sure they are still crunchy but with the rawness removed. Reserve and keep warm.

Get yourself a nice piece of red snapper (or other similar fish, like sea bass), preferably with the skin on. Med-high heat, canola oil, non-stick pan. Sear skin side down (pressing into the pan for a few seconds to keep the flesh from curling up) for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook about 1-2 minutes more. (a metal skewer inserted into the fish and held in the middle for 4-5 seconds should feel just slightly warm when the fish is cooked properly) Remove to a plate while you assemble the dish.

Get a large bowl, mold 1/4 C of the rice into a low dome, top with the sauteed veg mixture, then on a cross angle add the piece of fish. Pour some of the broth around the rice. Garnish with a few pieces of basil chiffonade.

Eat.

Start to finish, no more than 30 minutes. And there's enough passive time (while the rice is cooking) that you can make a simple side dish, too.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

i think i will try that tomorrow. i have almost everything you listed.

except fish. how do people eat fish? it smells like rotting trash.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Bad fish does, yes. Proper, fresh fish doesn't really smell like anything at all.