Flyers/Oilers working on deal for Wayne Simmonds

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Flyers/Oilers working on deal for Wayne Simmonds

Post by Kovy27 »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/edmo ... -simmonds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Flyers/Oilers working on deal for Wayne Simmonds

Post by mikey287 »

MacT was just on saying that he has nothing imminent and hopes to have anything for a while. I think the Oilers have done enough tonight...
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

@SUNSports Got it on good authority. #Hemsky's locker being cleared out in Philly. Looks like he's been traded. #Oilers
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

They obviously need size up front, but is that really more important than getting some defense to insulate their goalie? Their goaltending has been bad, but their defense has been equally bad and they just got rid of their lone bright spot on the blue line.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

They do need Simmonds. But I don't think there's much truth to the Hemsky/Simmonds thing...at least not tonight.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

I wish it were the the Pens in this convo and not the Oilers.
IMO, Edmonton wins a Simmonds for Hemsky trade. The latter seems a floater while the former brings it every night.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Jamie »

The are also rumblings that the Flyers are attempting to obtain Jordan Eberle from the Oil.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Don't believe that the Eberle rumo(u)rs are true at this point.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

mikey287 wrote:Don't believe that the Eberle rumo(u)rs are true at this point.
dang r(u)mours
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I don't think any rumors are true at this very instant, of course
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

I heard the Eberle rumors, I can't see Edmonton trading away one of their pieces (Taylor Hall being the other). I can see them shipping off Lazy Ass Nail Yakupov.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

From what I know...which isn't a whole lot, of course...but from what I know, neither Eberle nor Yakupov are out on the market. Hemsky, Schultz, maybe Lander are available. Jason LaBarbera will go on waivers after Bryz gets a few BP's down in Oklahoma City (AHL).

So therefore...tomorrow's headline: Oilers trade Eberle, Schultz and Hemsky to Philadelphia for the Schenn's, Simmonds and Coburn. Bryzgalov starts vs. the Flyers and Dubnyk gets waived.

Boy, that's a wordy headline...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

So this means Edmonton is the favorite to win the cup now, with all these ex flyers, right?
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Froggy wrote:So this means Edmonton is the favorite to win the cup now, with all these ex flyers, right?
No, because LA is going to trade for Giroux.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Not sure why the Flyers would deal Simmonds. Young, still improving power forward that fits their mold.

They should be looking into dealing some of their vets like Hartnell...How bad are they regretting giving M. Streit $5.25MM for the next 4 years?!
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote:Not sure why the Flyers would deal Simmonds. Young, still improving power forward that fits their mold.

They should be looking into dealing some of their vets like Hartnell...How bad are they regretting giving M. Streit $5.25MM for the next 4 years?!
I agree that it doesn't make sense to trade him, but I'm guessing Holmgren is getting antsy to start making changes to try to salvage the season and might make a rash, ill-considered move (as perhaps the Talbot/Downie trade shows). Not saying that they'll trade Simmonds, but I could definitely see them making a stupid trade just for the sake of changing things up.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

KG wrote:Not sure why the Flyers would deal Simmonds. Young, still improving power forward that fits their mold.

Streit was the exact opposite of what that clown team needed.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Flyers wouldn't mind reversing the JVR/Schenn trade now I'm sure...
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

Kovy27 wrote:

Ill be honest, I just cant figure out why the Flyers are "so" bad. I get that Giroux is overrated but his a decent player and the roster up front isnt full of terrible players. Not saying I expected them to compete for home ice, their defense and goalie situation is always bad. I just didnt think this would happen.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

largegarlic wrote:

I agree that it doesn't make sense to trade him, but I'm guessing Holmgren is getting antsy to start making changes to try to salvage the season and might make a rash, ill-considered move (as perhaps the Talbot/Downie trade shows). Not saying that they'll trade Simmonds, but I could definitely see them making a stupid trade just for the sake of changing things up.
In the context of dumping salary, this trade makes sense. Talbot got a contract that was way beyond reasonable. Holmgren hamstrung himself, and is now trying to sell off his mistakes. He's just lucky Pronger hasnt retired and come off LTIR. The Flyers will happily pay the cash to avoid the cap hit.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

Ill be honest, I just cant figure out why the Flyers are "so" bad. I get that Giroux is overrated but his a decent player and the roster up front isnt full of terrible players. Not saying I expected them to compete for home ice, their defense and goalie situation is always bad. I just didnt think this would happen.
Their defense and goaltending are worse than garbage. They can't get anything going out of their own end and start chasing. They should have stuck with Lavy unless Holgren knew nothing would get better and decided to at least have a sideshow the meathead fans would still pay to see with Berube embarrassing himself, the organization and the league almost every game.

It's going to take a while to get that mess fixed.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

I think the Flyers' goaltending has been their saving grace. It's amazing that they finally have decent to good goaltending and it's the rest of the team that's in the shambles--notably, the D.

I hope the Pens don't sleep on them, though. Don't give them anything toward salvaging that sinking ship.

Giroux finally gets a goal today. This will be updated: http://didgirouxscoreyet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Why can't the Pens be in on Simmonds :(
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Have the Oilers paid all of the hockey media world to just keep saying Hemsky's name in the hope that some GM will just get lulled into trading for him?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 41m
Oilers offered three 2nd round picks for Braydon Coburn at the Draft and couldn't close the deal. Trades in season are much harder to make.
Are they serious??? (Oilers) and are they stupid??? (Flyers)