Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Shyster »

Yokozuna Hakuho is too darn good, or everyone else in sumo is too darn bad. Imagine a hockey league where 29 of the 30 teams are staffed with clones of players from the Pens’ 2003 lineup. Imagine the 30th team is made up of 12 clones of Mario at forward, 6 clones of Nick Lindstrom on D, and two clones of Patrick Roy tending goal (all clones in their physical prime). That’s how good Hakuho is in relation to the other guys in sumo. He’s only 28 and if he wants to (or the Sumo Association lets him) he will easily break Taiho’s record of 32 tournament wins (Hakuho has 27). It’s obvious from watching his sumo that Hakuho is intentionally leaving himself more open in matches and is intentionally creating opportunities for the other wrestlers to beat him. It’s like the above 30th hockey team deciding that in order to give the 29 other teams a chance they will only shoot on the backhand or only take shots outside the blue line. What’s even worse is that the dud crop of opposition (including the other Yokozuna, Harumafuji) is still mostly incapable of beating him. In the last four tournaments, even intentionally fighting like crap he still went 15–0, 15–0, 13–2, and 14–1 and won each one.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Totally
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Jim wrote:Apparently everyone is supposed to care that one idiotic NFL player picked on another?
When the idiotic player threatens the player and sending him racial text messages and phone messages on top of other things, yeah where supposed to care because Incognito clearly crossed the line.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

All of the abbreviations women use on those Mommy message boards. "lo", "sahm", "oh"....wtf?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

kwim?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Shad, if you are going on mommy message boards you will be annoyed, just say no.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

viva la ben wrote:Shad, if you are going on mommy message boards you will be annoyed, just say no.
:lol:

I was Googling something related to our daughter, and those sites came up first.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Shad, if you are going on mommy message boards you will be annoyed, just say no.

I was Googling something related to our daughter, and those sites came up first.
From prior postings, I just don't believe you. I think an intervention may be needed
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shafnutz05 wrote:

They Always Will. Tread Lightly Lol
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Jim wrote:Apparently everyone is supposed to care that one idiotic NFL player picked on another?
When the idiotic player threatens the player and sending him racial text messages and phone messages on top of other things, yeah where supposed to care because Incognito clearly crossed the line.
Nope... still don't care.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:All of the abbreviations women use on those Mommy message boards. "lo", "sahm", "oh"....wtf?
i have my doubts that "milf" would ever be in that forum's lexicon.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

women that group together on the internet are way more entitled and judgemental than they are in real life. which is saying something.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shafnutz05 wrote:All of the abbreviations women use on those Mommy message boards. "lo", "sahm", "oh"....wtf?
Did you purposely use wtf?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

We need a new form of computer keyboard set up for writers and not programmers. I recognize that programmers and administrators regularly use keys like the pipe (|), backslash (\), curly brackets ({}), and dumb caret (^), but those keys have no typographic function whatsoever. How about a writer's keyboard that replaces them with worthier symbols like the en-dash (–), em-dash (—), pilcrow (¶), section symbol (§), single/double prime (′ ″), dimension sign (×), or ellipsis (…)?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

ellipsis key?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Shyster wrote:We need a new form of computer keyboard set up for writers and not programmers. I recognize that programmers and administrators regularly use keys like the pipe (|), backslash (\), curly brackets ({}), and dumb caret (^), but those keys have no typographic function whatsoever. How about a writer's keyboard that replaces them with worthier symbols like the en-dash (–), em-dash (—), pilcrow (¶), section symbol (§), single/double prime (′ ″), dimension sign (×), or ellipsis (…)?
When writers start developing computer items you'll probably get that. ;)

Until then, those of us who developed things that were computer related, understandably developed them to suit our own specific requirements.

(I'm wrote this with my tongue firmly implanted in cheek)
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Idoit40fans wrote:ellipsis key?
While an ellipsis is basically three periods in a row, typographically speaking it's a separate symbol. It's also a separate Unicode symbol (U+2026).
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

You know if you type three periods in a row it is an ellipsis. Or are you just too lazy to hit an additional two key strokes? :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

<facebook user> likes his own status
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:You know if you type three periods in a row it is an ellipsis. Or are you just too lazy to hit an additional two key strokes? :pop:
So.........

What are you getting at?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

I saw this joke on reddit this morning but it really is true. Crossfit must be the exact opposite of the Fight Club because the first rule of Crossfit is to never shut the **** up about Crossfit.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

I would post the r/standupshots submission but it's not censored.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Not really irrational, but pickup trucks without mudflaps - there should be a law requiring them.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Long breaks with no Pens game. Seems like it has been an entire offseason since they have played.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

"lake effect"... I think the local weathermen get a quarter or something each time they say it.