Talbot to Avs for Downie

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Talbot to Avs for Downie

Post by IntangibleBeer »

DropEmJayBird wrote:lol if you think Downie is going to be asked to actually play "hockey" in Philly.

The guy will fall right back into what philly fans want... he'll chase hits, get out of position, leave his feet and raise his elbows.
I agree. I think he's going to spend an awful lot of time in the cubicle of shame.

And since Philly can't win games any other way, they are regressing into their old, comfortable pattern - thuggery. I bet the league sits on them.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

IntangibleBeer wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:lol if you think Downie is going to be asked to actually play "hockey" in Philly.

And since Philly can't win games any other way, they are regressing into their old, comfortable pattern - thuggery. I bet the league sits on them.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for league intervention on the Flyers style of play. It's only been going on for what, 40-some years now?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

But the league never took a hard line about removing fighting either, and they are heading that way now.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

http://beta.thescore.com/nhl/news/342119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I asked around and obviously people thought it was a weird trade. Basically what it goes back to, and you can find the story if you choose to google it, during training camp Downie got mad at Landeskog for a trip during a scrimmage and he drilled him. And I was just told that from that day... I heard that the Avalanche decided they were going to make the change at that time."

Friedman also mentions what he believes to be the thought process behind trading for Max Talbot.

"The timing of it is still very odd... but I was told basically the Avalanche had decided that when that happened and Downie was kind of unapologetic about it, that the time was going to come where he was going to get dealt."

He continued to say:

"I believe Philly was specifically targeted because they knew that Philly would probably have interest knowing the guy. The other thing too is one of Patrick Roy's best friends and coaching buddies is a guy by the name of Benoit Groulx who coaches in the Quebec League. Benoit Groulx and Max Talbot went to the Memorial Cup final together, and I think Roy had some advice that he was the kind of guy you wanted and Colorado specifically targeted that deal."
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Thanks for that. Definitely gives a plausible explanation to a weird trade. Gotta say, Downie was a guy I'd identified at the beginning of the season as a possible trade target. He'd fit in perfectly with Malkin and Neal.

Niskanen for Downie would have made a lot of sense for both teams. But I guess that ship's sailed (though Downie could be moved again I suppose, as he's a ufa).
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So much for the Varlomov theory.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Not necessarily. If trading Downie was a loaded gun, they were just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. They had a distraction to the Varly situation locked and loaded... definitely convenient timing.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

columbia wrote:So much for the Varlomov theory.
only if you believe everything a PR department puts out there.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

I wouldn't want Downie anywhere near the Penguins.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

columbia wrote:So much for the Varlomov theory.
More like a Landeskog theory: http://www.flyersnation.net/2013/11/inc ... trade.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;