Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Post by MRandall25 »

Criteria for a game misconduct, but the NHL's excuse was "there isn't anything in the rule book", implying they had no rule for what happened.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

There's still no rule for a suspension though, right. He got a zillion penalties and Holtby got none. There's nothing to do after that.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Stamkos, wow
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Emery pitched a 1-0 SO aided by notable absences of Zajac and Flyer-killer Elias.

The Devils should be embarrassed.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

LOL@Flyers and Devils. I would not want to pay to see that game.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Anderson stretchered off the ice. Hopefully they're just being cautious.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

He's giving a thumbs-up while being taken off, so that's a good sign.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Gaucho wrote:Anderson stretchered off the ice. Hopefully they're just being cautious.

He gave a very weak thumbs up going off.

Took a knee to the head when a Stars player crashed the net. Completely accidental.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

Interesting article in the hockey news on the NHL not suspending Emry. Said a big part of the reason is that it shows legislation is needed. The example given was the Matt Cooke hit on Savard which wasn't technically "illegal" at the time. So he wasn't suspended but it brought strong opinions to fix it.

I get people don't like GB (forgetting he was one fish who helped save Pittsburgh) but some of the issues seem to be positively held onto by old school gents with teams, the league or even media.

Make your own opinions but I thought it was very interesting.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Interesting article in the hockey news on the NHL not suspending Emry. Said a big part of the reason is that it shows legislation is needed. The example given was the Matt Cooke hit on Savard which wasn't technically "illegal" at the time. So he wasn't suspended but it brought strong opinions to fix it.
Right there is no rule against this, if the NHL suspended Emery the NHLPA would file a grievance right away, which in turn would must likely lead to a lawsuit (this is what happens when you have a union relationship) since there is no defined rule.

The NHL should come out and fine Philly and Washington organization (within there powers) and bring sanctions against the franchises and try to change the organizational mindset. This will never happen because the owners control bettman more than say the nfl owners control good old roger g

meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

As a former goalie, I think goalie fights are utterly stupid and ridiculous. Get them out of the game. There is absolutely no reason to have two goaltenders throw punches at one another. Give the goalie that crosses the red line an automatic 10 game suspension.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i love goalie fights. and i found the caps/flyers debacle extremely entertaining. the only issue i had with it was that holtby was an unwilling participant. that's not cool. everything else? i'd be sad if it left the game. there weren't any sucker punches or gratuitous head shots or reckless hits from behind. it was just a bunch of fights. big whoop. between this and the sterility of the other big 3 sports, it's this by a landslide.

sue me
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

shmenguin wrote:i love goalie fights. and i found the caps/flyers debacle extremely entertaining. the only issue i had with it was that holtby was an unwilling participant. that's not cool. everything else? i'd be sad if it left the game. there weren't any sucker punches or gratuitous head shots or reckless hits from behind. it was just a bunch of fights. big whoop. between this and the sterility of the other big 3 sports, it's this by a landslide.

sue me
Brent Johnson (on twitter) kind of called Emery out for going after Holtby after he declined. He said (referring to his own fight) DiPietro wanted to go, that's why they fought. But when Holtby declined Emery should have respected that.

He also said he (Johnny) is going to teach Flower and Holtby how to fight. I think he was kidding...or not... :lol:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

good insight from johnson...by "that's not cool", i meant it wasn't cool for emery to assault him - not for holtby to pass on fighting a guy with formal boxing training...for the record
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

shmenguin wrote:i love goalie fights. and i found the caps/flyers debacle extremely entertaining. the only issue i had with it was that holtby was an unwilling participant. that's not cool. everything else? i'd be sad if it left the game. there weren't any sucker punches or gratuitous head shots or reckless hits from behind. it was just a bunch of fights. big whoop. between this and the sterility of the other big 3 sports, it's this by a landslide.

sue me
I'd say "sucker punches, gratuitous head shots and reckless hits from behind" would be exactly how I'd characterize Emery's assault on Holtby.

Sue me.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Great58 wrote:

sue me
I'd say "sucker punches, gratuitous head shots and reckless hits from behind" would be exactly how I'd characterize Emery's assault on Holtby.

Sue me.
i guess two posts of me saying i didn't like emery's assault wasn't enough to get the point across?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 57m
I have the three stars vote tonight. Is it screwed up to give one to Ray Emery... you know, just for the hell of it?
this numbskull just went on the puck daddy podcast. he 100% stands by this decision and said it absolutely wasn't a goof. he said it's an entertainment industry, and this was entertaining. and part of his case is that the flyers GM, coach and players all approved of his decision, so it's justified. also, he said what emery did is "within the rules" which is an unreal thing to say.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

wow...this dude is off the charts bananas. start listening at 12 min 30 sec or so.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/marek_wy ... hynski.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

shmenguin wrote:
I have the three stars vote tonight. Is it screwed up to give one to Ray Emery... you know, just for the hell of it?
this numbskull just went on the puck daddy podcast. he 100% stands by this decision and said it absolutely wasn't a goof. he said it's an entertainment industry, and this was entertaining. and part of his case is that the flyers GM, coach and players all approved of his decision, so it's justified. also, he said what emery did is "within the rules" which is an unreal thing to say.
Called it.

Suck it LITT :pop: :slug:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Its not like Emery smacked Holtby's glove away when he tried to pick it up. That's the kind of disgusting act that doesn't fly in Philly.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Called it.

Suck it LITT :pop: :slug:
dont break your arm patting yourself on the back
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Frank Seravalli is a Flyers suck up. He's a fanboy, not a reporter.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

llipgh2 wrote:Sean Burke nailed it.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/pho ... eedID=3702
Was Mike Cvik doing that game? I suspect not. Doubt he would've tolerated that crap.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

shmenguin wrote:
Great58 wrote:

sue me

Sue me.
i guess two posts of me saying i didn't like emery's assault wasn't enough to get the point across?
The thoughts seemed hugely divergent.