Talbot to Avs for Downie

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Talbot to Avs for Downie

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Looking for the article now but twitter seems as tho it is confirmed. McKenzie is retweeting confirmation
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Talbot to Avs for Downie

Post by MRandall25 »

LeBrun confirmed it.

And of course Philly wants to get Downie back. Nothing else is working, might as well get someone to try to intentionally injure people alongside Rinaldo.
Brugrabud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Brugrabud »

WEWT I can like Talbot again!
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Wow, Rinaldo and Downie on the same team, maybe even same line...... I guess philly wants to get back to leading the league in suspensions again so they can complain about it and use it as an excuse for losing.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Holmgren is wonderfully inept...
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by TheGhostofGoulet »

Plan the parade Philly!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Talbot was not dirty enough for them...
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Oh boy...PIMs just went up in Philly and goals went down. Have fun with that ****.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Why mess with that chemistry? Just what Colorado needs, more centers.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Kovy27 wrote:Oh boy...PIMs just went up in Philly and goals went down. Have fun with that ****.
i dont know about the goals thing. they both arent great goal scorers, but at least downie has a 20g season under his belt.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

congrats to Max for getting out of that Titanic of a team!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

On the ice, it makes sense for Philadelphia. Not sure about the timing for the red hot Avs here. Philly needed some spark and a little more offensive help, they get that in Downie. Talbot was disposable with all the centers they have in Philadelphia. The Avs though, don't really need one, Duchene, Stastny and MacK down the middle plus natural center Ryan O'Reilly playing wing with Duchene...plus the Avs have the #1 PK in the league already. Leads me to believe that this is another off-ice issue with Downie...maybe not any one in particular thing, but he has a negative reputation around the league. The first time he was in Philly he had a babysitter follow him around Dez Bryant style.

Strange timing for the Avs unless they're that desperate to distract from the Varly thing (which I don't actually believe), it's a good on-ice trade for Philadelphia. They aren't any easier to play against now, that's for sure. This a Holmgren/Berube baby that's for sure.

I guess the Avs figure they have some big games coming their way and that's where - as we know - Max crafts his superstar status...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Very strange. Downie was playing on the top line with Duchene and Reilly, and playing pretty well for them. Not sure why they'd mess with what they've got going on. Unless it's a brilliant move to deflect some of the negative vibes surrounding Varlmov's arrest.

From a pure hockey standpoint, Talbot brings the playoff experience, but is otherwise a downgrade in skill all around. He's a center, which they don't need unless they're planning on trading Statsny and moving MacKinnon up to the 2nd line. But at this point, MacKinnon has hit a bit of a wall since busting out of the gate, so I wouldn't excatly say that that's a foregone conclusion.

I'd love to have Downie on the Pens. The guy has the skill to play alongside elite talent, grinds it out, and gives everything he's got. Definitely wouldn't have minded seeing a hot-head line of Downie-Malkin-Neal.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

mikey287 wrote: Leads me to believe that this is another off-ice issue with Downie...maybe not any one in particular thing, but he has a negative reputation around the league. The first time he was in Philly he had a babysitter follow him around Dez Bryant style.

Strange timing for the Avs unless they're that desperate to distract from the Varly thing (which I don't actually believe), it's a good on-ice trade for Philadelphia.
You may have answered your own question.

The Avs are going to expend a lot of time deflecting the negative fallout from Varly. If Downie is having issues, instead of having to deal with those as well, they sent him to the Flyers to let them worry about him.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Downie is a better player - good trade for the flyers.

although, since talbot only tries hard when it's convenient for him, he might actually look good now that he has a new group of bar sluts to try to impress.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

It seems like a "Dump Downie" move at face value, I just don't know why.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

You're now out of my penalty box, Max.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Noooooo i downie was so useful in fantasy as an av
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

On further consideration, I'm starting to like this for the Avs. It's a bold move from a position of power, but you stay ahead of the game by being proactive like this.

Downie is the superior player. But Talbot is signed for 2 more years. Downie is a UFA after this year. They'd already been toying with moving Parenteau up to the 1st line, dropping Downie down to play with MacKinnon.

Talbot on the 3rd line gives them more defensive presence there. They've got tons of offense, so sacrificing a little of that for a more defensively oriented vet is not a bad way to go, seeing as that's their greatest weakness.

The biggest question will be whether going from a 3 line attack to a 2 line attack with a more defensive checking 3rd line is the right recipe for success? It certainly hasn't worked very well for the Pens.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

pressure=9Pa wrote:It seems like a "Dump Downie" move at face value, I just don't know why.
Because downie is a significantly better player.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I've always hated Downie for this:

[youtube][/youtube]
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Thats pretty far from the worst thing he has done. There are plenty of players that arent considered dirty that have made hits like that.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Downie cleaned up his act significantly after leaving Philthy. I guess now he'll have license to release his inner scumbag.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This is one of those occasions where the Flyers are regressing to their base instincts and improving their team at the same time.
I'll give them that.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Clearly Varlamov's gf and Downie were causing problems, so he beat her and the team got rid of Downie. ~ I completely made that up, obviously.