The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by JeffDFD »

Chris Hardwick has a new show called @midnight on Comedy Central. He mentioned on it tonight that everyone was asking him about Manson...he made the comment "I think he made out with a bottle of vodka before the show."
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

JeffDFD wrote:Chris Hardwick has a new show called @midnight on Comedy Central. He mentioned on it tonight that everyone was asking him about Manson...he made the comment "I think he made out with a bottle of vodka before the show."
Very funny show by the way.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

newarenanow wrote:Is this a story line in the comics?
Spoiler:
No
The scene with Tyrese on the road...Is that supposed to be the equivalent of
Spoiler:
Tyrese in the Prison where they left him for dead?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Loaf31 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Is this a story line in the comics?
Spoiler:
No
The scene with Tyrese on the road...Is that supposed to be the equivalent of
Spoiler:
Tyrese in the Prison where they left him for dead?
Spoiler:
I thought it was the same as Abraham when Rick, Morgan, Carl, and he are on the road from Kentucky back east. I think its leading up to an event like happens at the Alexandria Safe Zone... Herd Attack.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

i fully expect this show to be ruined this season because they are going to drag out this show as long as possible with the ratings it gets. throw away episodes like this past episode will soon become the norm.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Walking Dead - Season 3

Post by shmenguin »

shmenguin wrote:this is just super (language ns4w). i love everything this guy puts out.

WARNING: don't watch if you've ever said the phrase, "it's just a tv show - it doesn't have to make sense"

[youtube][/youtube]
part 2 posted. lots of good stuff.

http://www.yourmoviesucks.org/2013/10/y ... art-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

knives of ice wrote:i fully expect this show to be ruined this season because they are going to drag out this show as long as possible with the ratings it gets. throw away episodes like this past episode will soon become the norm.
it wasn't a throw away episode. there are important things happening. Tyrese now has depth, Carol has gone way off the grid, Glen is sick, the stakes have been raised so that the virus is terrifying...limited zombie kills doesn't make it a throw away.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

shmenguin wrote:
knives of ice wrote:i fully expect this show to be ruined this season because they are going to drag out this show as long as possible with the ratings it gets. throw away episodes like this past episode will soon become the norm.
it wasn't a throw away episode. there are important things happening. Tyrese now has depth, Carol has gone way off the grid, Glen is sick, the stakes have been raised so that the virus is terrifying...limited zombie kills doesn't make it a throw away.
I agree. This show always gets a bad rap for its slow pace. I've never had a problem with the pace and actually enjoy it. I like that they're not flying through story lines just for the sake of ratings, and instead they allow the characters to breathe and develop. That said, this season has been anything but slow. Even this past episode, while slower moving than the other episodes from this season, was lightyears faster than anything in season 2.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Have you read or currently read the comics? That drags some things out even longer. The current story line there is accomplishing very little each issue.

This is just Kirkman being Kirkman
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Walking Dead - Season 3

Post by nocera »

shmenguin wrote:
shmenguin wrote:this is just super (language ns4w). i love everything this guy puts out.

WARNING: don't watch if you've ever said the phrase, "it's just a tv show - it doesn't have to make sense"

[youtube][/youtube]
part 2 posted. lots of good stuff.

http://www.yourmoviesucks.org/2013/10/y ... art-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It bothers me that Darabont said "Grandma goes to the Barnes and Noble and buys the Zombie Survival Guide joke book for her grandson." He does this as a way to show you how annoying the zombie movement has become. As if the Survival Guide came AFTER Walking Dead and the zombie explosion. The book came out in September of 2003. The first Walking Dead comic came out in October of 2003. Survival Guide was only 3 months after the US release of 28 Days Later and a year before the Dawn of the Dead remake.

I mean, I agree with him that zombies are everywhere now, but try to point to a book that came out just to exploit the genre, like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, not a book that was there at the start of the revival.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I stopped watching the video when it seemed to be going nowhere.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Im getting close to not wasting my time on this show anymore...it used to be good. now its just boring with no real main story progression.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

What is the main story line? Its just to survive right?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

canaan wrote:Im getting close to not wasting my time on this show anymore...it used to be good. now its just boring with no real main story progression.
I dropped it at some point las season...or maybe the season before. Was last season the prison? After tge prison season, i was done.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

PensFanInDC wrote:What is the main story line? Its just to survive right?
Yeah, I'm not sure where some people expect it to go. It's not like they're going to find a cure or discover some uninhabited island and live happily ever after. I don't think there's any real story arc here like in some series. It's just about the groups attempt to survive and adapt.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Hockeynut! wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure where some people expect it to go. It's not like they're going to find a cure or discover some uninhabited island and live happily ever after. I don't think there's any real story arc here like in some series. It's just about the groups attempt to survive and adapt.
Ha, I always thought this would be awesome. Right in the middle of the season..."eat this plant" - apocalypse over...show ends.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Hockeynut! wrote:
and thats why its become crap. theres no real want for the people to move on and try to find a bigger camp or area that isnt infected or, perchance, a solution and you're not going to find it holed up in a prison for 9 seasons. the assumption based off of one suicidal dude at the CDC in atlanta or random rapscallions along the interstate doesnt make for longlasting riveting television. its, for lack of a better description, a braindead viewing experience.

its not the uninhabited island that people want, its the search of it that drives the narrative. burying guns and raising a couple of pigs is not the formula for keeping me interested.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the show is at its best when they're on the run. but the show is at its least practical to shoot and most expensive when they're on the run. so i'm not going to complain about them being stuck on an expensive set for 2 seasons.

the show has sucked in the past because of garbage characters and piss poor writing full of plot points that make no sense. they've significantly improved in both areas so far this season, so i'm ok with the current state of things.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I think the show is in an awkward spot. I agree that it's best when they're on the move, but from a logistical point of view, it's pretty stupid for the characters to stay on the move all the time. If they find a relatively safe location, they're better off there than camping in the woods for 9 seasons. I know it's more exciting to watch them constantly under attack, fighting, figuring out ways to survive, etc. but it would also require the characters to be pretty darned stupid to stay on the move all the time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

The idea of keeping the group smalll is dumb. Sure maybe its easier to trust people, but if you have any kind of long term survival, there is going to be a lot of inbreeding going on.

This post was brought to you by West Virginia. West Virginia: Wild and Wonderful.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The essential plot is that humans are more dangerous than walkers and they are actually manageable, until they aren't because you stay in one place too long so it's time to move again. It happened in their Atlanta camp, it happened in the farm and it will happen at the prison as we are seeing already.

A social issue we also see is they are still in the gathering of supplies. Not many people actually know how to do anything useful in this world. how are you going to rebuild a society when you can't lay a physical groundwork? It will take generations to see if the disease that makes you a walker is still around. We still don't know if anyone born after are also infected. If Judith dies would she turn?

We also just saw what happened when someone dies of natural causes albeit to a new disease. But what happened could happen anywhere where someone has a heart attack in their sleep or die of old age.

Thank back to the Vatos episode in Season 1, all those old people would have turned within the week. If they knew everyone was already infected there was no way they would have stayed behind to care for them.

As for the state of the comics:
Spoiler:
How many times have we had find new people, get comfortable in a spot and then need to move on due to a threat? About 5 times now over roughly 110 issues? And once they deal with Nagan I'm sure the walkers will just be too much and a small band of survivors will need to move on yet again.
Last edited by DelPen on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

They've pretty much abandoned the "no outsiders" thing this year and are taking anyone who doesn't seem extremely crazy/homicidal.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Maybe you guys will like the spinoff more.

*edit*

Apparently it's not happening until 2015.
Last edited by nocera on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I'm of the opinion that this season is moving in the right direction. What initially drew me to the show is that the basic, post-apocalyptic premise allows for exploration of interesting and fundamental questions about human existence: What sort of government would we want if we could start from scratch? Would morality still exist without a strong social framework? How does living with the fairly high possibility of dieing any given day change how we'd live? etc. Plus, you have the cool suspense/horror aspect of the zombies.

In the past, the show has done well with the zombie aspects, but has done poorly posing these deeper questions due to a number of things (bad plotting, bad acting, overly on the nose dialogue, poor character development, etc.). Now it looks like it might be getting a better handle on these weaknesses. I don't need to the overall plot to be "going somewhere", if they are able to create interesting, realistic characters and subplots that allow some of the deeper questions to be considered in thoughtful ways...and they have an awesome zombie sequence or two per week.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

This is from Robert Kirkman's Twitter feed.