meanwhile in Finland......

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

meanwhile in Finland......

Post by shoeshine boy »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is this the same blockhead that cheap shotted Tangradi and then stood there and yelled at him in the doorway?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: meanwhile in Finland......

Post by Beveridge »

Yes
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Garbage is as garbage does.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Jarkko probably deserved it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... s#p1794499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FC wrote:Trevor is actually a great kid who is a nutball on the ice
about that...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Sounds like Jarkko got what he wanted.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Now, when injuries from fighting or icing occur, people set off their confirmation bias alarm and go, "this always happens and it needs to stop now! Won't somebody please think of the children!"

So, I figure it's apt to say that this is a preview of the game without fighting. Except this wasn't a stick swinging incident...yet. More cheap shots ahead. I think I'm doing it right...
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

mikey287 wrote: So, I figure it's apt to say that this is a preview of the game without fighting. Except this wasn't a stick swinging incident...yet. More cheap shots ahead. I think I'm doing it right...
I'm asking this seriously because I never played competitively above jr high - what is it about hockey that makes it the only team sport with athletes that resort to fist fighting when they're frustrated?

In the rare occasion something like this happens in other sports they suspend the player for a long time and/or fine them a lot of money.

If the punishment for this was a $100,000 fine and a second offense was a year banning it wouldn't happen.
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Apparently you didn't watch the Panthers Rams game yesterday
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Why would anyone do that?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
mikey287 wrote: So, I figure it's apt to say that this is a preview of the game without fighting. Except this wasn't a stick swinging incident...yet. More cheap shots ahead. I think I'm doing it right...
I'm asking this seriously because I never played competitively above jr high - what is it about hockey that makes it the only team sport with athletes that resort to fist fighting when they're frustrated?

In the rare occasion something like this happens in other sports they suspend the player for a long time and/or fine them a lot of money.

If the punishment for this was a $100,000 fine and a second offense was a year banning it wouldn't happen.
Every sport allows the players to police themselves to an extent. Fighting is hockey's version of policing.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Long was thrown out and he is going to lose a lot of money. Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan both were fined something like $25k a few years back.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

What the hell is Gillies doing in SM-liiga? Isn't that a Finnish league with mostly skilled players and very minimal fighting?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

The Finnish league is one of the more physical leagues in Europe. It plays a much more straightforward style of play, more north/south, a little less east/west than the Swedish or Russian leagues. Gillies used to play for the Russian team best known for its cheap shots and rabblerousing...now he plays for HIFK where he is a fringe player at best. Fun fact: Gillies has recorded just one assist since the 2007-08 season - it came March 14, 2010 vs. Toronto. :idea: