Expansion Draft Next Year?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Expansion Draft Next Year?

Post by npv708 »

http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-ex ... t-horizon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got to thinking about this possibility of an expansion draft this offseason and what in the world that would mean for not only existing teams, but for the players left unprotected in the draft and how different it could be from previous years.

I feel like you could see some legit talent left unprotected.

I could see the Sabres jettisoning Leino, Flyers getting rid of well anyone, and I have no idea who the Pens would get rid of.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Expansion Draft Next Year?

Post by meow »

Expansion drafts aren't really meant to "get rid" of players. It's more of a "you definitely can't have these guys."
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Well going on previous years rules I see the Pens protecting

Crosby
Malkin
Neal
Kunitz
Dupuis
Jokinen
Sutter
Kobesew
Adams

Leaving, Glass, Vitale and Jeffery Exposed (Bennett wouldn't count because he has less than 2 season) for the forwards

Martin
Orpik
Letang
Scuderi
Engelland

Leave Nisky as the only exposed D man because of the number of games he played which the Pens are required to expose and for salary cap reason. (Maatta, Bortuzzo wouldn't count because of less than two season) If Englelland meets the number of games to count as the exposed veteran then maybe he will be exposed instead.

The goalie is obvious, MAF will be protected.

leaving Vokoun exposed
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Less than 2 is not the same as 2 or less.

Therefore, Beau would have to be protected. This is his 2nd season. (I could be wrong, who knows)

Also if they were going to try and resign vitale and jeffrey (who is still a rfa) they would protect them. Engo is a FA and if despres plays this year he wouldn't fall under the less than 2. Bort I'm not sure if this still counts as season 1 or season 2.

Either way, Pens wouldn't be in danger of losing anyone super important that wouldn't be a free agent this summer.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

question: do no move contracts have any bearing on the situation? in other words are we forced to protect those with a NMC/NTC?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

count2infinity wrote:question: do no move contracts have any bearing on the situation? in other words are we forced to protect those with a NMC/NTC?
Most likely, but just as with trades, etc, there could probably be a provision that the player could waive it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

count2infinity wrote:question: do no move contracts have any bearing on the situation? in other words are we forced to protect those with a NMC/NTC?
Im pretty sure the article i saw said that you did have to protect those players.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm just thinking... we have clauses on Fleury and Voukoun don't we? if so, we'd have to go with the 2 goalies 3 defensemen, and 7 forwards to protect... orpik, martin and scuds all have ntc's, so does that mean we can't protect Letang?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Vokoun us a ufa after this season...or more likely retired
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

oh yeah... i guess there's no reason to protect him if he's no long really a penguin.