Hertl Power

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Hertl Power

Post by mikey287 »

Free Candy wrote:As odd is at may be, I think what Thornton did was a veteran move. Sticking up for the young guy in order to take the media pressure off Hertl and putting it on himself.
I'm sort of surprised that there hasn't been more backlash to Thornton talking about his jimmy. I wish there was a video.
That kind of stuff is said fairly often (well, it's not rare), it's on the media to know that that sort of locker room banter - that "man talk" - is off the record.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

mikey287 wrote:
Free Candy wrote:As odd is at may be, I think what Thornton did was a veteran move. Sticking up for the young guy in order to take the media pressure off Hertl and putting it on himself.
I'm sort of surprised that there hasn't been more backlash to Thornton talking about his jimmy. I wish there was a video.
That kind of stuff is said fairly often (well, it's not rare), it's on the media to know that that sort of locker room banter - that "man talk" - is off the record.
Have I ever mentioned my "funny story from the Penguins locker room" (I believe after 15 or so years, statute of limitations fully applies here)? BTW, recall that some media were criticizing Jagr at that time for his perceived lack of knowledge of English language:

So I am standing in the locker room, waiting to do some player profile, and suddenly the discussion among Jagr and Straka, plus some other Czech players, plus selected members of local media starts. All in English. Jagr and Straka discuss the lack of Straka's productivity, and, very quickly, the discussion centers on the fact that a few weeks before that day, dear Straka decided to, ehm, get that special shave, which apparently had the "Samsonian" consequences for him. Jagr then eloquently mentions that he, too, went for the same treatment even further before that - with the same consequences - and that Straka was stupid for not consulting with Mr. Jagr. Enter next round of jokes aimed at the lack of hair on the head of the beloved local TV personality. Good times...

And then all notice that all that time, the discussion was also overheard by a bunch of what I recall looked like 4th graders from some team who was allowed to go to the locker room that day. :)

Needless to say that from that day onward, every time I see a player in a slump, I wonder... :)

And no, that story never made it to Pro Hockey Euroreport, the publication I worked for at that time.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

you don't mean...
Spoiler:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »