Hertl Power

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Hertl Power

Post by canaan »

lol
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Hertl Power

Post by Beveridge »

Say what you will, but I love the nhl.com headlines they come up with 95% of the time.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I really hope this kid keeps doing what he's doing and isn't a flash in the pan. There's always a need for new young superstars.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Well played, well played.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Had no idea who he was, buddy drafted him randomly in NHL 13 late in the round, turned into one of his best goal scorers.

We knew this was coming.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens Fan Since 1970 »

I am hoping the Pirates experience their own type of Hurdle Power this evening.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

^^ Nice.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

That fourth goal at full speed was filthy
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Hilarious:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/10/ ... ashy-goal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"‘Don’t disrespect the league’: Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates warns San Jose Sharks’ rookie Tomas Hertl after flashy goal"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Why is someone asking Adam Oates what he thinks in the first place? He wasn't even involved.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Desiato wrote:Hilarious:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/10/ ... ashy-goal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"‘Don’t disrespect the league’: Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates warns San Jose Sharks’ rookie Tomas Hertl after flashy goal"
What a turd.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Joe Thornton plans on a completely different celebration if he scores four goals in a game.
Hearing a question to Marleau about Hertl and whether he was showboating, Thornton said:

“Shut up, have you ever played the game?”

When the press turned his way, he then added:

“I’d have my [stick] out if I scored four goals. I’d have my [stick] out, stroking it.”
the uncensored version
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/10/10 ... e-learned/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody sounds...... 8-) .....a little cocky.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Desiato wrote:Hilarious:

This is the coach of the guy who pretended his stick was on fire and whose team celebrates goals like a Stanley Cup win. You know what disrespects the game? Sirens AND a goal horn AND a song AND pumped in crowd noise.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Orlando Penguin »

I want to punch Adam Oates. He's really gonna say that when he has a guy on his team that celebrates a 1-0 1st period goal in an October game like it just clinched Game 7? What a pompous POS.

When I watched that live, I nearly fell off my couch. And every time I see the replay, I'm amazed at the coordination it takes to pull that off. Not to mention, it's a perfectly good deke, nothing different than going forehand-backhand-forehand-slip it thru the 5 hole.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Seriously, it's not like he did some fancy crap on an empty netter. He beat an NHL goalie. I attempt that move often. Good goalies see the fake forehand, see you pull it backhand, commit to that side, which opens up high over the shoulder. So yeah, there's an advantage in the play that leads to scoring. He's treating it like "Oh yeah, any player can go out there and do that, but they don't because it's disrespectful."
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I'm getting tired of these old farts crying when a young player shows some creativity on the ice. I'm assuming that it's largely jealousy.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Agreed. It's different eras. Oates should know that the game was as different as it was in the 80s compared to the 50s as it is compared to today to the 80s. Hertl isn't the first person to score that goal and he's not even the first person in the 2010 decade to score it.

Where was Oates' outrage when Lecavalier shot between the legs and scored?

[youtube][/youtube]
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

It was a legitimate attempt to score. There's nothing else that needs said.

If he did that into an empty net, or they put some sick kid in goal for charity, then Oates could whine about it all he wants.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

shmenguin wrote:It was a legitimate attempt to score. There's nothing else that needs said.
agreeed. I saw someone explain it, might have been Bob McKenzie as the goalie stayed with Hertl's forward motion so that was really his best option to put it in the net.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

It was Bobby Mac, and he said a similar thing about Hertl having control the entire time while he was moving forward.
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by djlm »

Now Vanek is also disrespecting the league???

[youtube][/youtube]
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I dont care when its done, it was a move to score, but if you dont even acknowledge that he made a very showy move when up by 5 with 8 minutes left, then youre not paying attention. If he did this to the wrong team, he would get jumped. I would be surprised if someone didnt pull him aside after the game and tell him to consider the situation before doing something like that.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I picked up Hertl off of free agency in my fantasy league. So you guys don't have to worry about Hertl doing anything the rest of the season.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

JS© wrote:Joe Thornton plans on a completely different celebration if he scores four goals in a game.
Hearing a question to Marleau about Hertl and whether he was showboating, Thornton said:

“Shut up, have you ever played the game?”

When the press turned his way, he then added:

“I’d have my [stick] out if I scored four goals. I’d have my [stick] out, stroking it.”
the uncensored version
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/10/10 ... e-learned/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody sounds...... 8-) .....a little cocky.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
I cannot believe as long as Thonrton has been in the NHL that he actually said this, but I LOL'd a lot over it. I also agree with him. It's also one helluva move that guys can do practice and not in a real NHL game, so credit to him for pulling it off.
Free Candy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Free Candy »

As odd is at may be, I think what Thornton did was a veteran move. Sticking up for the young guy in order to take the media pressure off Hertl and putting it on himself.
I'm sort of surprised that there hasn't been more backlash to Thornton talking about his jimmy. I wish there was a video.