Lavi Out

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Lavi Out

Post by GSdrums87 »

Idk how you can say that when we have guys like Sidney Crosby on the team.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

2 games in? Is that a record? I remember Hlinka getting fired really early in a season also but I think he lasted at least 4 games.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

darkstar57 wrote:I guess this means the flyers wont be calling time out in the first period after we go up 2-0 on them anymore
This.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

One of the talking heads on ESPN said that Chip Kelly is now the longest tenured professional head coach in Philly. :face:

BEPF
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Jim wrote:Just watched the press conf and they were VERY defensive and dodged questions and beat around the bush...

Why has this team had more coaching changes in 20 years than any other team (11 in 20 years)? - Answered for the current change and countered the rest without answering. I actually thought that press guy was pretty ballsy because he kept pushing, asking if it was just consistant mistakes on managemnt etc etc. Nice!

(Not exact quote)
"The team has not won a Cup in 38 years, it is a good idea to bring in a new coach that is steeped in that tradition?"
"What tradition" - yep
"Not winning" - ZING!!!

I like this press crew!
Turns out the Islanders still have more coaches in the last 20 years - 15 (Lavy is on both lists)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

the 11 coaches thing is what the reporter said... 11 is insane... 15 is pathetic.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

nocera wrote:2 games in? Is that a record? I remember Hlinka getting fired really early in a season also but I think he lasted at least 4 games.
3 for the Flyers (and yes, 4 is the previous record, check out all of page 2 of this thread).
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by suzinpgh »

ExPatriatePen wrote:For anyone out there who doesn't understand the train wreck that's is Berube:

"Last season, Berube said had some outspoken comments about Penguins captain Sidney Crosby that fans should like. Here's what Berube had to say:

Let me tell you something, Crosby and Malkin are the two dirtiest players on their hockey team. They slash, they punch guys in the face. They do all these little things– I got no problem with what Schenn does. And if someone runs [Crosby] over– that’s great. They should run him over. This guy gets away with too much, in my opinion, whines to the refs all day and all night. It’s a joke. And the guy did something to Schenner a little bit earlier, so he just went at gave him a little shot. It wasn’t like it was a tough, bad cross-check. The guy dove. And I understand all that, they’re going to protect their guy, and they should."
Berube was a tough guy during his playing days racking up 3,149 penalty minutes, which is good enough to put him in the top 10 all time for penalty minutes for a career.

Berube also punched a referee during a fight on the ice during his career when he was trying to punch current Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff. "
Perhaps Berube can return the Flyers to their Broad Street Bullies days to go with his classy reputation as a player? /sarcasm/

The criticism of Sid as a whiner, crybaby, diver, etc is beyond old. Both he & Geno are past winners of the Ted Lindsay award, which goes to the most outstanding player in the NHL as voted on by members of the players' association. That would be their peers. Clearly, they do not share the same opinion as Berube.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

blackjack68 wrote:
nocera wrote:2 games in? Is that a record? I remember Hlinka getting fired really early in a season also but I think he lasted at least 4 games.
3 for the Flyers (and yes, 4 is the previous record, check out all of page 2 of this thread).

:face: My bad.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

ExPatriatePen wrote:For anyone out there who doesn't understand the train wreck that's is Berube:

"Last season, Berube said had some outspoken comments about Penguins captain Sidney Crosby that fans should like. Here's what Berube had to say:

Let me tell you something, Crosby and Malkin are the two dirtiest players on their hockey team. They slash, they punch guys in the face. They do all these little things– I got no problem with what Schenn does. And if someone runs [Crosby] over– that’s great. They should run him over. This guy gets away with too much, in my opinion, whines to the refs all day and all night. It’s a joke. And the guy did something to Schenner a little bit earlier, so he just went at gave him a little shot. It wasn’t like it was a tough, bad cross-check. The guy dove. And I understand all that, they’re going to protect their guy, and they should."
Berube was a tough guy during his playing days racking up 3,149 penalty minutes, which is good enough to put him in the top 10 all time for penalty minutes for a career.

Berube also punched a referee during a fight on the ice during his career when he was trying to punch current Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff. "
Wow. Totally delusional. Probably took too many punches to the head.

Maybe they should scan his brain for damage, if they could find it on the X-ray.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

When did he make that quote?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Crankshaft wrote:When did he make that quote?
http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/04/cr ... -over.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

blackjack68 wrote:
Maurice Richard was coach of the Nordiques for 2 games during the 1972-73 season, but that was several years before the Nordiques joined the NHL.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

"The Chief"... So it is okay to call him "Chief" because he likes it I suppose? If he didn't like it, then and only then would it be racist?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Not much if a wysh fan, but this is pretty good. In regards to the flyers being too insular in their hiring...
Sometimes you need a fresh voice to move the culture in a different direction, to bring new ideas to an organization short on them at the moment.

And sometimes you just hire Craig Berube, and then wait until you replace the general manager with your former goaltender.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If Hextall were just brought in to be the GM immediately, i'd have considered that that might be a decent idea. By the time he's GM though, he'll have learned exactly what Holmgren is going for...perpetual "gonna get there eventually if we make major changes at least once per year".
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Almost everyone in that organization is a former Flyers player. Can't change the culture when you do something like that. It's obvious Snider thinks that a culture change or any type of change isn't needed.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Jim wrote:Just watched the press conf and they were VERY defensive and dodged questions and beat around the bush...

Why has this team had more coaching changes in 20 years than any other team (11 in 20 years)? - Answered for the current change and countered the rest without answering. I actually thought that press guy was pretty ballsy because he kept pushing, asking if it was just consistant mistakes on managemnt etc etc. Nice!

(Not exact quote)
"The team has not won a Cup in 38 years, it is a good idea to bring in a new coach that is steeped in that tradition?"
"What tradition" - yep
"Not winning" - ZING!!!

I like this press crew!
I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly. The Flyer ownership all had that deer-in-the-headlights look. :scared: And you're right - they were extremely defensive.

But what was fascinating to me was how the 4 guys doing the NHL show all closed ranks around the Flyers organization. Talk about denying reality. :face: Trying to remember, let's see Mike Jones, Kevin Weekes, Jamal somebody - they were really stretching to make the Flyers ownership and organization look like anything but the classless morons they are. It was so pathetic. :lol:
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Almost everyone in that organization is a former Flyers player. Can't change the culture when you do something like that. It's obvious Snider thinks that a culture change or any type of change isn't needed.
That's an interesting observation, especially in light of none of the Pens FO (except Mario) being a former Penguins player. Heck out of the coaches only Guerin is a former Penguin (and Nasreddine if you want to go to that level).

The Flyers are a prime example of why inbreeding is bad.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

IntangibleBeer wrote:

(Not exact quote)
"What tradition" - yep
"Not winning" - ZING!!!

I like this press crew!
I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly. The Flyer ownership all had that deer-in-the-headlights look. :scared: And you're right - they were extremely defensive.

But what was fascinating to me was how the 4 guys doing the NHL show all closed ranks around the Flyers organization. Talk about denying reality. :face: Trying to remember, let's see Mike Jones, Kevin Weekes, Jamal somebody - they were really stretching to make the Flyers ownership and organization look like anything but the classless morons they are. It was so pathetic. :lol:
Jamal Mayers
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

IntangibleBeer wrote:I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly.
You might have caught all of it then, it was short. That was impressive how it was able to get that awkward in such a short press conference.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

LeBrun mentions in this article that he's optimistic about the Berube hire: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... lie-police

His reasons: he has quotes from John Stevens and Steve Downie (and no one else) saying that Berube is a good coach. With endorsements like these, Berube is sure to be successful.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Idoit40fans wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly.
You might have caught all of it then, it was short. That was impressive how it was able to get that awkward in such a short press conference.
Holy mackeral! If that's true, then someone in the Philly press core has some guts and actually asked a tough question or two. I'm sure they will be banned from the Flyer locker room for that.

I think we should all be VERY grateful that Penguins management has its head on straight, especially compared to this bunch of cement-heads. :thumb:
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

What's amazing is that Holmgrem was a fresh voice in his first year or two. In fact, he did a fantastic job for them. But once he got assimilated into the culture, he ended up repeating that organization's same mistakes.