New Czech jerseys

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

New Czech jerseys

Post by Tomas »

http://oh.idnes.cz/dresy-ceskych-hokeji ... i-2014_par" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears this is the year of Nike ugggly fake laces.

The general consensus is that the "home" flag jerseys are weird. The purists hate it because it is a departure from the traditional red-or-white combo. Plus, what can the opposing team wear if their colors are white, red, or blue? People do like the "away" white retro look, though.

Interestingly, every jersey is made out of 17 PET bottles.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: New Czech jerseys

Post by mikey287 »

Líbí se vám olympijské dresy českých hokejistů? Ne.

Well, not really at least. The white jersey doesn't look awful...I'd like to see that flag jersey on the ice first, but it strikes me as fairly goofy at first glance...
Last edited by mikey287 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

mikey287 wrote:Líbí se vám olympijské dresy českých hokejistů? Ne.
Ditto. But it looks like we are a minority.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I like both of them.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by dman66 »

The white one is fine. I want to see the other on the ice before making a decision. Not as bad as some of the others though.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Tomas, can you give me a correct pronunciation of Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Andrej Sekera? It seems that when he changed teams, he changed where the emphasis was. It went from Seh-KAIR-uh, to SEK-er-uh. I'm leaning towards the latter being correct, but I wasn't too sure. The official NHL pronunciation guide has the former.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

NHL guides are terrible. Half of Czech and Slovak accents are wrong there. My hypothesis is that the guides are all randomly generated by the Family Guy manatee.

The funny thing is that all Czech (and I am nearly certain all Slovak) names are extremely easy - the accent is ALWAYS on the FIRST syllable. (Incidentally, the signs above certain vowels that you can sometimes see are not accents - they just make the vowel sound longer).

Sekera has no special signs in his name, so he is indeed SEK-er-uh. And just FYI, that means "An axe" or "A hatchet".

And yes, Vokoun, Sykora, Beranek, Hrdina - those names have accents on the first syllable as well...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Thank you, as always, Tomas!