The Caps are going to be good.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: The Caps are going to be good.

Post by tfrizz »

columbia wrote:They've only given up 12 goals in 3 games?
Great start.
I know several Caps fans who are ready to throw Holtby to the wolves :lol:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I know several caps fans that are around for between 4 and 7 games per year.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

pcm wrote:I just want to prepare people for this season.

Their forward depth is actually quite impressive. A lot of jam in there, with some sharp russian filet.
Their top 4 is young and talented, and if they take a step forward in their development, could be dominant.
Their goaltending is on the verge of elite.
If their coaching staff can put it all together this year, I could see them battling for top seed in the division.

Welcome the rivalry.

(They could acutally really use a guy like Niskanen, but that won't happen.)
Maybe instead of thinking this is me, maybe Sweaty Teddy is actually PCM? :)

"owner Ted Leonsis gave several interviews, including one with ESPN 980′s “Inside the Locker Room.” He was understandably bullish on his team’s chances.

“We played three kids,” Leonsis said, talking about Washington’s first game of the season. “People talk about how the team is aging. We have the eighth-youngest team in the league. I like when we interject some of the new kids into the lineup….We’re healthy, and my expectation is that this is the deepest team since I’ve owned the team. I don’t see any weaknesses, and I see that we’re prepared for injury. I mean, that’s one of the things in sports that sometimes we under estimate: injuries happen, your second-line guy, your third-line guy.

“This team, I think, is prepared now; if we have any injuries we can slot people in. I think there will be no excuses. We should have a good year. We’re playing in a much tougher division. I also am happy about that. I think that if it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger, and that if every night is competitive and tough — or tougher than previous seasons — that should be good for us.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... eaknesses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I swear Leonis, and by extension, McPhee, only see forwards (offense).
You cannot look at that defensive roster and think you have it all covered:

Karl Alzner
John Carlson
Connor Carrick
John Erskine
Mike Green "A"
Jack Hillen
Steve Oleksy
Alexander Urbom
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Pitts wrote:I swear Leonis, and by extension, McPhee, only see forwards (offense).
You cannot look at that defensive roster and think you have it all covered:

Karl Alzner
John Carlson
Connor Carrick
John Erskine
Mike Green "A"
Jack Hillen
Steve Oleksy
Alexander Urbom
whoop
whoop
whoop
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

They rely a bit too much on their power play for offense. It's off to a good start again this year, although I think starting out against Western Conference teams they didn't play last year helped that a bit. Especially since 2 of the teams they played aren't playoff teams. They only have 3 even strength goals in 3 games. Only one player on their team is a positive plus/minus. Their third line is -4, -5, and -6 already. The only playoff team that finished worse in goals against last year was the Islanders. They only change they made is swapping Riberio for Grabovski. I guess they have a full year of Erat too. I don't see them doing any better than last year in what should be a tougher division. I also don't see this great depth Leonis sees. Looks like a team fighting for a wild card spot or the third spot in the metro(which may be worse than a wild card team) to me. Giving up 4 goals a game as they have so far this year certainly isn't going to get it done. An injury to someone on that power play could be devastating.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Their PP comes down to Mike Green and he has been fragile last couple years. You can't basically shadow Ovie and play 4 on 3 when Green is out there.

When Green goes away, so does their dominance on the PP. I don't have the numbers right now, but I think they support that statement.