Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Post by shmenguin »

i saw shero speak out against fighting recently, which is...strange. i have a hard time believing that the guy who employed eric godard for multiple years would suddenly have this big change of heart on the matter. signing godard showed that he believed fighting had real value.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Not saying I approve or agree, but he could be in favor of banning fights, but at the same time acknowledges the reality and thus the need to hire a goon.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Gaucho wrote:Not saying I approve or agree, but he could be in favor of banning fights, but at the same time acknowledges the reality and thus the need to hire a goon.
he's smart enough to know that goons haven't provided any actual protection for years now. i think he knew that players enjoyed the side show, and it provided some sort of boost to see one of their teammates make sacrifices like that. the need for goons is totally self-contained, so you can choose to hire them or not and you won't be taken advantage of by other teams. and he chose to perpetuate it. now i think he's just doing the media lip service thing.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

If he's going to be one of the most vocal supporters of a ban on headshots how can he stand up for direct punches to the head?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Because they're unrelated. Its startling that you can't see that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Because they're unrelated. Its startling that you can't see that.
Seriously concerning, I agree.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

what do you think a knock out is? they are the result of so much trauma to the brain stem that the body shuts down to try repairing itself.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

they're totally unrelated, and shero knows this. but with that said, it's still a big reason he's opening his mouth right now. because enough people lump them together that he needs to do this ridiculous PR.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Rylan wrote:
offsides wrote:
Rylan wrote:Best part about soccer is that people assume its safer when its dangerous in different ways. Makes me laugh.
Being someone who has never played and knows almost nothing about it, what are the main dangers of soccer?
Lower body injuries are high (knee and ankle especially. Can't name one person I played with that didn't have at least 1 significant injury to either). But, head injuries are also high when competing for aerial balls. Plus, rumor has it that repeatedly heading soccer balls is not very good for the brain either. But, soccer is far more physical than its perceived and parents' that want their kids to play soccer because its "safer" is rather comical.
Soccer is very physical, especially at the high school level. My oldest son played for 10 years, all through HS. My younger son, it's all he plays - for 5 years now.

Elbows, shoulders, body checks, trips, etc. Can be just as bad as hockey, really, except it doesn't have a wall (except for playing indoor).

Now, indoor soccer, I've seen some nasty checks into the boards.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Going from hockey to indoor soccer is the easiest transition from one sport to another that i've done. So great.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Exactly Pitts. Personally I found indoor soccer to be the most fun to play.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Going from hockey to indoor soccer is the easiest transition from one sport to another that i've done. So great.
Heh, same. Not that I played indoor soccer at any notable level, but I found the transition to be strangely seamless...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Indoor soccer has a pace to it that is pretty awesome. Add in the open space by having a limited amount of people on the court and it gets exciting for me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

mikey287 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Going from hockey to indoor soccer is the easiest transition from one sport to another that i've done. So great.
Heh, same. Not that I played indoor soccer at any notable level, but I found the transition to be strangely seamless...
I haven't played either at any meaningful level. :pop: The whole flow of play is basically the same though.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i lived for indoor soccer growing up. i was so much better at it than outdoor.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

If Stevie Y really wanted fighting out of the game, he wouldn't employ BJ Crombeen amd PC Labrie. He certainly didn't mind it when Probert, Kocur and Cummins wore the winged wheel.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

I was kind of hoping this thread would go the other way, and we'd start talking about maybe adding fighting into soccer.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pugilist13 wrote:If Stevie Y really wanted fighting out of the game, he wouldn't employ BJ Crombeen amd PC Labrie.
yeah...all it takes is this simple point to discredit his entire stink. and if shero really cared at all, he'd be telling engelland to knock off the meaningless crap from the other night.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

shmenguin wrote:
pugilist13 wrote:If Stevie Y really wanted fighting out of the game, he wouldn't employ BJ Crombeen amd PC Labrie.
yeah...all it takes is this simple point to discredit his entire stink. and if shero really cared at all, he'd be telling engelland to knock off the meaningless crap from the other night.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

It's time to simply get rid of hockey fighting altogether. At this point, it no longer serves a purpose other than sideshow.

Before the instigator ejection, fighting was necessary for team protection purpose. To police the other team so to speak.

I wouldn't miss it one bit. I don't watch them now. If it's not DVR'd so I can skip it, I use it as time to head to the bathroom or refrigerator.

As to the talk about preventing head injuries-- it's silly. You have large men moving at high rates of speed in these top-level professional sports. Injuries are bound to happen. Suffering the trauma of a car wreck repeatedly for thousands of times in a sporting career can't possibly be a good thing. But these are adults making adult decisions to accept the risk in exchange for the gargantuan paydays and fame. Their choice, not mine.