In-Line Skates Question

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

In-Line Skates Question

Post by HockeyDaddy »

I recently purchased a pair of Bauer Vapor XR2 inline skates. I have been skating in my two car garage trying to break them in before I start coaching my son's in-line team in a few weeks. I have gone through the painful break-in period, but one pain remains: In the middle of the outside of my foot (about half way between my pinky toe and heel) I have a bad almost cramp like pain. I thought it could have been the tongue or inside of the skate rubbing, tying the skate too tight or too loose, but it does not seem to be any of those. Instead it seems to be more of a muscle issue in my foot.

So my question: I am beginning to wonder if the wheel configuration of 76mm, 76mm, 80mm, 80mm could be causing me to put more pressure on my toes when I am skating causing the pain in the outer portion of my foot. I come from an ice background and have not owned a new pair of rollerblades in 15 years. Has anyone ever dealt with this when transitioning from ice to inline and do you think that it would be worth it to try new wheels that are all the same size?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: In-Line Skates Question

Post by Idoit40fans »

Or go 72 76 76 80. Ive seen that configuration
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

That configuration would have me on a steeper slope and if the slope is causing foot pain...then the 72 76 76 80 would possibly make it worse. I am starting to wondering if Bauer's just don't work for my flat foot. Again...I have not had any rubbing...just a muscle type pain in my foot.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Are the skates too narrow? I bought some Mission skates online, and I was never able to wear them for any significant amount of time because my foot would cramp up.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

I don't think so. I have a narrow, flat foot. I bought these on-line. I don't think that trying them in a store would have made a difference, because they only seem to hurt after skating for 10-15 minutes. So strange that there is no rubbing...but there is pain.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Its been about 7 years since I last played in-line hockey, but I used to play / Ref / Coach almost everyday. We used to bake our skates in an oven when they were new. That REALLY REALLY helped a lot of people get rid of the aches and pains their skates caused them when they were new. You might try and see if you can do that with the new skates as well. Shops used to have special ovens in them as well to do the baking.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Just keep skating with thin socks on. Just bought high-end Alkali's and they took a few games to break in.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Sounds like you just need to build up a little tolerance in that foot muscle. I had a similar problem on the inside of my foot from ice skates that went away after I skated with them for a month or two.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

MRandall25 wrote:Sounds like you just need to build up a little tolerance in that foot muscle. I had a similar problem on the inside of my foot from ice skates that went away after I skated with them for a month or two.
I am thinking that's what it is...but I just find it weird that I never experienced anything like this with ice skates. I keep wondering if the HiLo wheel setup has something to do with it.

Oh, well...hopefully I can make through a whole practice next week.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

GSdrums87 wrote:Just keep skating with thin socks on. Just bought high-end Alkali's and they took a few games to break in.
This. I always need to skate hard a few times before a skate feels natural.