Barclays Center is great for hockey!

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Barclays Center is great for hockey!

Post by nocera »

(View from Section 101)

(Section 231)

(Section 4)

This is going to be a disaster.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... clays.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Barclays Center is great for hockey!

Post by columbia »

Perfect for leaners.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Think I read that they will be making alterations to the building before the Islanders move in full time to improve the site lines...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

KG wrote:Think I read that they will be making alterations to the building before the Islanders move in full time to improve the site lines...

But on a press tour of the building’s hockey configuration last week, Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark said that no such changes were planned. In other words, the views Saturday night will be the views in 2015, when the Islanders move to Brooklyn.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Gabe »

When I lived in Charlotte, we went to quite a few Checkers games. They play in an NBA arena. Its an AHL team and they don't need all 20K seats so they don't use that end. The views have to be really bad on the far end.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Islanders wont need them either pop
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

If I'm the CEO of Barclay Center, I still sell those tickets

...at a big discount

...with very clear information about the limited sight lines.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

didn't the Coyotes have the same issue when they played in the Phoenix Suns arena? wow, basketball sucks!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'd just sell those seats as general admission or something.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte has the same problem. It was built for basketball first so you are right up on the floor. One side has no seats behind the glass.

Best arena I was at that was mostly basketball was in Orlando. They made the hockey rink seating where they pushed back the front rows so the base of the seats were all above the boards. At least I remember it like that seeing a Solar Bears game a long time ago.

I seem to remember Miami Arena for Panthers games possible having a sheer drop on one side behind the net.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

It's the islanders (small i)

They get exactly what they deserve.

You have to love NYC. Three hockey teams, one great Arena for watching hockey (yes, I know about MSG, but while MSG is a storied arena, it's not a fantastic hockey venue).

And team in the best venue can't attract fans.
LMAO.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

ExPatriatePen wrote:It's the islanders (small i)

You have to love NYC. Three hockey teams, one great Arena for watching hockey (yes, I know about MSG, but while MSG is a storied arena, it's not a fantastic hockey venue).

LMAO.
I think that venue being in Newark is the problem. At best taking PATH or other trains to Newark you still need to walk a couple blocks outside to get to the arena. I wouldn't say it's a dangerous walk but you are still in Newark.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

DelPen wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:It's the islanders (small i)

LMAO.
I think that venue being in Newark is the problem. At best taking PATH or other trains to Newark you still need to walk a couple blocks outside to get to the arena. I wouldn't say it's a dangerous walk but you are still in Newark.
It's really the entire issue. People think a few extra stops from midtown isn't a big deal but it is (not even adding in some have to take a subway just to get to the Path). Not too mention you built it in an area making it difficult to attract fans living in NYC AND suburban parts of New Jersey.

I get sweetheart deals but there needs to be common sense. Not sure I like much if the Brookkyn idea for NBA or NHl. I understand you are drawing from a bigger market, but a bigger market of fans who already have a team they root for.

Based on a hunch I just think this entire Brooklyn experiment isn't going far long term. Even the NBA team can't keep shelling out this kind of money year in and year out.