Brian Burke quietly wins judgment against online commenters

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Brian Burke quietly wins judgment against online commenters

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/rian+ ... story.html
ormer Vancouver Canucks general manager Brian Burke has quietly won a default judgment in B.C. Supreme Court against five online posters who allegedly defamed him.

The five defendants -- who are only identified by their online surnames NoFixed Address, CamBarkerfan, Lavy 16, Tulowd and Naggah -- had failed to file and serve a notice of response to Burke’s lawsuit within the time allowed.

Burke, who is now president of hockey operations for the Calgary Flames, had earlier won the right to serve his legal papers against the online commenters via the message boards they used to spread the allegedly defamatory material.
One individual, believed to be a commenter identified as “Mowerman” was tracked by a process server to a home in Ontario in June.

The process server noted a man mowing the lawn of the property and asked if he was the individual in question.

“The man refused to answer these questions, became irritated and ordered the process server off the property,” says the court document.

The suit was filed in B.C. because Burke has had work done by a local law firm now handling the defamation suit.

The default judgment was granted Sept. 11 by a deputy registrar of the B.C. Supreme Court.
What a turd of a human being.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Brian Burke quietly wins judgment against online comment

Post by Factorial »

What exactly were the comments that were made about him?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Factorial wrote:What exactly were the comments that were made about him?
Yeah. I'm guessing this wasn't just "Burke sucks."

If I were to take an uneducated guess, it would be that they involved his son. Either that or something that caused him to get in trouble with the team or NHL, like implying he did something against rules and quoting a fake source or similar. I doubt it was just criticism.
NebraskaNic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NebraskaNic »

There were comments from these folks while he was with the Leafs that he was having inappropriate relations on the job. Apparently some of these rumours made it off the web and caused him issues on the job.

Edit: and issues at home.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

how does one obtain a judgment against anonymous persons? Shouldn't the suing party be required to present proof the defendants had been served?
NebraskaNic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NebraskaNic »

http://deadspin.com/brian-burke-is-suin ... -483776713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

This is awesome. I love Brian Burke even more right now.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

shafnutz05 wrote:
One individual, believed to be a commenter identified as “Mowerman” was tracked by a process server to a home in Ontario in June.

The process server noted a man mowing the lawn of the property and asked if he was the individual in question.
LOL, is this real?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

That is so amazing.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

JS© wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

LOL, is this real?
I mean can you even get private Internet user information for civil trials? That is opening a huge can of worms.

I can see for criminal complaints, threats and so forth via subpoena but this is almost too funny to be serious.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
JS© wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

LOL, is this real?
I mean can you even get private Internet user information for civil trials? That is opening a huge can of worms.

I can see for criminal complaints, threats and so forth via subpoena but this is almost too funny to be serious.
I suppose it would depend on the owner of the board and the ISP - if they comply, then you'd get it; if they don't, then you wouldn't.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shafnutz05 wrote:
What a turd of a human being.
He is going to sue you now.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

thats why whenever i type anything online i think if the person was standing in front of me would i say it to them