Caps to host Winter Classic in 2015

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Caps to host Winter Classic in 2015

Post by nocera »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... c-in-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Continuing the trend of visiting teams getting to host a Classic. I'd be very surprised if the Pens are involved in this, and I hope they are not. I'm sure it'll be another repeater though.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Caps to host Winter Classic in 2015

Post by Jim »

I think that they do this wrong. First, they need to stop doing the Canada vs Canada games. Then, have a COLD city host a warm city. Stop with these, "Well it's raining during the game" cities and keep the games in cities that you know will be cold.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Jim wrote:I think that they do this wrong. First, they need to stop doing the Canada vs Canada games. Then, have a COLD city host a warm city. Stop with these, "Well it's raining during the game" cities and keep the games in cities that you know will be cold.
Why do they need to stop the games between Canadian teams? The whole outdoor game thing started in 2003 with the Heritage Classic between Edmonton and Montreal.
The first outdoor NHL regular season game was the 2003 Heritage Classic held in Edmonton between Edmonton and Montreal. The first Winter Classic was held in 2008.
In fact, there have only been two outdoor games between Canadian teams (2003, 2011) as opposed to five between American teams (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012) so the "Canada vs Canada games" aren't even a thing to begin with. Toronto will be the first Canadian team to participate in the Winter Classic series when they play Detroit on Jan 1, 2014.

Even in this new Stadium Series, all four games will take place in the US and will feature only US-based teams.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I am just saying that a Canada vs Canada would be two cold cities. Too many teams have been in multiple outdoor games and too many have not been in any, and potentially never will. Spread the love...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Jim wrote:I am just saying that a Canada vs Canada would be two cold cities. Too many teams have been in multiple outdoor games and too many have not been in any, and potentially never will. Spread the love...
Not necessarily. The third game in the Heritage Classic game is slated for March 2, 2014 in Vancouver (vs Ottawa) when the average temperature is around 6C (43F). I really don't see any way it'll work in Vancouver, especially in March.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

tfrizz wrote:
Jim wrote:I am just saying that a Canada vs Canada would be two cold cities. Too many teams have been in multiple outdoor games and too many have not been in any, and potentially never will. Spread the love...
Not necessarily. The third game in the Heritage Classic game is slated for March 2, 2014 in Vancouver (vs Ottawa) when the average temperature is around 6C (43F). I really don't see any way it'll work in Vancouver, especially in March.
Well, that is more a problem of scheduling, timing and potentially jumping the shark with the number of these things. It was cool when there was one, maybe two. Now...

... and having a game *IN* LA is idiotic.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

They are also having an outdoor game between the Ducks and Kings at Dodger Stadium. The ice should be fine for that one.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Jim wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Well, that is more a problem of scheduling, timing and potentially jumping the shark with the number of these things. It was cool when there was one, maybe two. Now...

... and having a game *IN* LA is idiotic.
They're definitely going overboard. If it were my call, there would be one outdoor game each season and it'd alternate between "Heritage Classic" (Canada) and "Winter Classic" (USA). Lower frequency should make them a much bigger draw.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Maybe they should play inline hockey.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Yay, another banner.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Maybe it'll rain, the Caps will lose and Ovie will get a serious injury. Karma.