Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by BadHands71 »

the wicked child wrote:I typically use lagers when I want to cook with beer, or at least milder flavored ales. I have been known to buy variety packs from time to time just to have a few beers in my closet that can be used for cooking.

Of course, I have to force myself to drink the rest of them. ;)
:thumb: Agreed. Variety packs are usually good for cooking.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I like to use Yuengling for a beef stew If I want something else than a red wine flavor).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

One good tip when cooking with wine is to never let the wine boil, at least not for any longer than a few moments when bringing the liquid to temperature. Something happens at that point that turns complex tannins into butt juice, which is usually an undesirable effect.

High simmers are fine, but avoid the boil.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I've used Hornsby's before when making pulled pork, both in a crock pot and a smoker. I've used Bud Light Lime for a few different things too.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Weekend score of 20lbs of mild and another 10lbs of hot, freshly roasted, and peeled Hatch green chile. We made a great chile rellenos casserole Saturday night and Chilaquiles Sunday morning. Left now with 19 one-gallon bags in the freezer. Sometimes happiness is just a Hatch chile away.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I always use beer in chili, but I usually use something like a lager or milder ale. I don’t think one would want something too hoppy for that role.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

What's the big deal of hatch chiles
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Hatch, NM has soil that lends itself well to the growth of the chile. The chiles they grow are Big Jim's and are larger and have more flavor (and heat) than, say, a standard Anaheim. You can compare the chile to growing grapes where certain areas produce a better quality product. Hatch is known for the quality product they grow.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

very similar to vidalia onions. technically they have to come from a certain region in Georgia because the soil lends itself well to that onion flavor.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Made burgers tonight. Did a Mediterranean style burger with mozzarella, pesto, and roasted red peppers. Win. They were super tender and the flavor was awesome. Will definitely make them again.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

BadHands71 wrote:Made burgers tonight. Did a Mediterranean style burger with mozzarella, pesto, and roasted red peppers. Win. They were super tender and the flavor was awesome. Will definitely make them again.
It's 3:45 get out of here with that. :pop: :)
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

mac5155 wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:Made burgers tonight. Did a Mediterranean style burger with mozzarella, pesto, and roasted red peppers. Win. They were super tender and the flavor was awesome. Will definitely make them again.
It's 3:45 get out of here with that. :pop: :)
Nope. Always a good time of day for burgers. :thumb:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

What the guac? Oxford updates food definitions
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/08/28/oxf ... nary-food/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

The reckoning is nigh, food baby is in the dictionary
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Picked up a Meyer lemon tree today. I can't wait for some of these babies to ripen up.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Gas is better than charcoal, according to meat magnate Pat LaFrieda
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/gas ... _highlight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

columbia wrote:Gas is better than charcoal, according to meat magnate Pat LaFrieda
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/gas ... _highlight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heresy! But then, I wouldn't really expect any different from someone in NYC - they'll probably ban charcoal next.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I've never cooked with charcoal. Only ever done gas or wood when camping, but I like the flavor of wood much better.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Gonna smoke some baby backs with a little peach or apple wood tonight.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I also prefer gas. One can easily use wood chips, chunks, or pellets with a gas grill to get great smoke flavor, and the setup and cleanup are indeed much easier with a gas grill. It's also easier to control and adjust the heat level, and you also don't need to add coals to keep the heat going when you're cooking for long periods of time.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Willie Kool wrote:
columbia wrote:Gas is better than charcoal, according to meat magnate Pat LaFrieda
Heresy! But then, I wouldn't really expect any different from someone in NYC - they'll probably ban charcoal next.
It already is banned. You aren't even allowed to carry a propane tank through a residential space, so getting your fuel to a backyard grill can be tricksy. Basically, nearly all outdoor grilling is against the law in NYC. But it's one of those things that never really gets punished, and people flout the restrictions constantly.

On the issue at hand, if I'm using the heat source to heat up a vessel - like a pot or a pan - then gas is perfectly fine. (It's a little wasteful, as a huge portion of the heat energy created by the burner is simply released into the air around the burner rather than directed towards the vessel; you end up heating the kitchen almost as much as you heat your pot or pan.) But if I'm using the flame directly on the product being cooked, then to me it is indeed somewhat heretical to use gas. About the only time I use a direct gas flame is when I use my propane torch to sear a steak prior to a low and slow cook, or to roast off chiles or peppers.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

just made a replication of that brown ginger sauce you get at hibachi places. should have used rice vinegar instead of white vinegar (and i should have known better), but other than the slight overpowering flavor there, it's pretty good.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Making baby back pork ribs in three flavors-jerk, honey garlic, and BBQ.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

shmenguin wrote:just made a replication of that brown ginger sauce you get at hibachi places. should have used rice vinegar instead of white vinegar (and i should have known better), but other than the slight overpowering flavor there, it's pretty good.
I'd love to figure out the yummy sauce they give you.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

http://www.food.com/recipe/benihanas-gi ... uce-108265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I used. Next time I'll swap vinegars and also just make a half portion. This is a ton of sauce.