Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

viva la ben wrote:I average around 3500 miles of business mileage a month. In my observation tailgating is the least worrisome thing I see on the highway.
I don't mess around on the highway. My vigilante justice is in low speed areas only.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

viva la ben wrote:Sunday drivers in the left lane, and people constantly changing lanes in traffic are maddening.
The only time I constantly change lanes is if, for example, there are three lanes of traffic. Traffic isn't heavy, but there are the Sunday drivers you mentioned completely bottling things up in the left lane, taking 15 miles to pass one car, etc. In that case, I have no guilt about weaving through the relatively light traffic in the right two lanes in order to get around the D-bag that is holding up a long line of cars in the fast lane.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

viva la ben wrote:I average around 3500 miles of business mileage a month. In my observation tailgating is the least worrisome thing I see on the highway.
Where do you work? In DC traffic suddenly stops multiple times per trip to or from work. People tailgating me = accident.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

my mom asked me this heading out to cleveland a few weekends ago, and I didn't know the answer. In a three lane situation, are slow cars to stay in the middle or the right? Also, is it okay to pass a car that's in the middle on the right hand side?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

count2infinity wrote:my mom asked me this heading out to cleveland a few weekends ago, and I didn't know the answer. In a three lane situation, are slow cars to stay in the middle or the right? Also, is it okay to pass a car that's in the middle on the right hand side?
1) The *slowest* cars should stay on the right (like if you are going 60 in a 65). If you are cruising along at like 5 or 10 over, the middle lane is fine.

2) Yes, in the situation I mentioned. One area I can think of that I do this all the time on is coming up over Sideling Hill from the east on the turnpike, before Breezewood. If you are going slow enough in the middle lane that cars are blowing by you on either side, just get in the right lane.

^^To add, I will pass someone in the right lane in that situation if I notice a car behind me that is going fairly faster than me approaching. I'll cede the left lane to the faster driver, and pass the guy on the right instead.
Last edited by shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Idoit40fans wrote:
You've been rear-ended a lot?
Where do you work? In DC traffic suddenly stops multiple times per trip to or from work. People tailgating me = accident.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:my mom asked me this heading out to cleveland a few weekends ago, and I didn't know the answer. In a three lane situation, are slow cars to stay in the middle or the right? Also, is it okay to pass a car that's in the middle on the right hand side?
1) The *slowest* cars should stay on the right (like if you are going 60 in a 65). If you are cruising along at like 5 or 10 over, the middle lane is fine.

2) Yes, in the situation I mentioned. One area I can think of that I do this all the time on is coming up over Sideling Hill from the east on the turnpike, before Breezewood. If you are going slow enough in the middle lane that cars are blowing by you on either side, just get in the right lane.

^^To add, I will pass someone in the right lane in that situation if I notice a car behind me that is going fairly faster than me approaching. I'll cede the left lane to the faster driver, and pass the guy on the right instead.
Is it legal though?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

viva la ben wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
You've been rear-ended a lot?
I would never put it that way around here.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Hehehe
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/vehi ... 4.000.html
(a) General rule.--The driver of a vehicle may overtake and
pass upon the right of another vehicle only under one of the
following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to
make a left turn, except that such movement shall not be made
by driving off the berm or shoulder of the highway.

(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of
sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving
lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken
vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by
driving off the roadway.

(b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section
shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.
Yes.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Another elevator pet peeve for me is when I am on the elevator and upon arriving at my desired floor, I'm unable to exit the elevator because of all of the people standing exactly where the doors open. I understand that you're anxious to get on the elevator but you don't need to stand right at the doorway and prevent me from exiting.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

You are ALL fools, of the highest degree!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I see we are back on driving peeves again. Its so cyclical. Mowing the lawn and driving makes people unhappy I take it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Rylan wrote:I see we are back on driving peeves again. Its so cyclical. Mowing the lawn and driving makes people unhappy I take it.
People love to complain about bad drivers :lol:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

viva la ben wrote:Sunday drivers in the left lane, and people constantly changing lanes in traffic are maddening.
Wouldn't you need to change lanes constantly if Sunday drivers are hogging up the left lane? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

People drive every day. I wonder why its always on their mind.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

MRandall25 wrote:
Wouldn't you need to change lanes constantly if Sunday drivers are hogging up the left lane? :pop:
And are either of these "irrational" pet peeves? They both seem legit to me.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

I always pass if someone's going slow in the left lane. What am I supposed to do... Brake, go behind them, wait and see if they ever go to the right?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I'm talking about being in stopped traffic. One lane moves forward, dude changes to get in that lane, then looking to change back when he comes to a stop. This behavior can be witnessed pretty much everyday in Pittsburgh.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

That actually entertains me. It becomes a game of look how much ground this idiot loses by changing lanes constantly.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Rylan wrote:I see we are back on driving peeves again. Its so cyclical. Mowing the lawn and driving makes people unhappy I take it.
I kinda like to mow the lawn. Then again, I also like cleaning guns. There's a certain zen to both activities.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I also like mowing the lawn. I also enjoy driving with morons seemingly all around me. I just take driving with a grain of salt and just assume most people happen to just make a mistake. I may get annoyed at the time, but overall I am unaffected. Except people in the passing lane when they aren't passing.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

My wife forgot to get me tights for the renaissance festival this weekend
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

i can't think of any mowing the lawn peeves talked about ITT
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:My wife forgot to get me tights for the renaissance festival this weekend
Win?