NHL and travel

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

NHL and travel

Post by no name »

If traveling in the NHL is such a big issue why can't all inter division oppenents play a 2 game series in each city. EX. Pitt would play 2 games in Philly in 3 days then later Philly would travel to Pitts and play 2 games here in 3 days. If you really wanted to limit travel this seems like to simple of a solution. Only bad reason i can see about this is if the first game is too rough it might lead to more fighting.

Would this be a big issue for most fans?

Sorry guys i ment to put this in NPR, can a admin move it?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: NHL and travel

Post by Idoit40fans »

Isn't the travel issue with going out of time zone? If not, what is the travel issue?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Idoit40fans wrote:Isn't the travel issue with going out of time zone? If not, what is the travel issue?
In the east there is no travel issue. In the west it can be grueling, but with chartered flights is it really the worst thing since original sin?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I just didn't know there was one outside of Winnipeg, Detroit, and Columbus. All of those have been resolved.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Idoit40fans wrote:I just didn't know there was one outside of Winnipeg, Detroit, and Columbus. All of those have been resolved.

Realignment as fixed some issues with Det and Col. but also has created issues with Fla and TB. Seems like it would be easy for Boston and Mtl and the rest to stay down there and play 2 games in 3 days to limit the extra travel they would substain going back and forth mutlipal times a year. Our division is one team ontop of another in a small geographic area we have no problems. Winnipeg traveling to Dallas or Edmonton traveling to Pho. adds up to alot more miles.

Maybe realignment solved these issues a little but the West still has alot more travel compared to the east.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

I'm still confused on why Detroit is in the East...and why they broke up the Chi-Det rivalry.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'm still confused on why Bylsma has a job with the Penguins.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm still confused on why Bylsma has a job with the Penguins.
Because he sucks and Pittsburgh fans needed something to ***** about.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm still confused on why Bylsma has a job with the Penguins.
I think Ray used the long standing business practice of heads or tails to determin this one.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Kovy27 wrote:I'm still confused on why Detroit is in the East...and why they broke up the Chi-Det rivalry.
TV... majority of their away games started too late, and TV revenues were taking a hit. I was really enjoying the DET-NAS rivalry growing, also.

Did they approve the new Playoff format? That should resolve the need for 2 days between SCF games, but could be a while before the Western Conference actually has a representative in the SCF, if they did...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I just didn't know there was one outside of Winnipeg, Detroit, and Columbus. All of those have been resolved.
IIRC, Dallas played the most games 2 timezones away, since they were in the Pacific division. Should resolve that too. Its also Big $$ to travel into and out of Canada, so probably disproportionate for folks like EDM and CGY also.