Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by canaan »

"i dont know what i ate for dinner, but all i know is that i ate a whole garbage bag full of it"
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

The smartphone brings out the butt-juices in the chair upholstery when roasted.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

You do know that "OutofFoil" is pretty jealous right now, right?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

There was an IPA in the garbage bag?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Was the foil BHA free?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

columbia wrote:There was an IPA in the garbage bag?
"He's quick on his feet, that columbia"
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Homemade caramel corn, anyone?
http://food52.com/blog/7767-how-to-make ... in-5-steps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:Homemade caramel corn, anyone?
http://food52.com/blog/7767-how-to-make ... in-5-steps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mmm, that actually sounds good.
Melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter, then add a cup of brown sugar and a tablespoon or two of molasses.
:lol:

The cayenne/spicy idea is a complete aversion to me. I like some sweet and spicy stuff, but stuff like that is just way too big of an extreme in differences in taste.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:Homemade caramel corn, anyone?
Mmm, that actually sounds good.
Melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter, then add a cup of brown sugar and a tablespoon or two of molasses.
:lol:

The cayenne/spicy idea is a complete aversion to me. I like some sweet and spicy stuff, but stuff like that is just way too big of an extreme in differences in taste.
1 1/2 sticks of butter...coming from columbia, Paula Dean's biggest fan :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Mmmmmm......butter.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Have any of yinz ever used a grilling plank?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Im making pulled pork sandwiches today. I was wondering if anyone had experience on what kind of sauce or juice I can make when the meat is done. Once the pork is slow cooked all day and shredded, what can I soak it in? I usually just put BBQ sauce on it plain on a bun, but I want to try something different.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This is in my familial wheelhouse. :)

Any hot sauce that has a prominent vinegar taste will work well.

You can even make your own (though the recipe recommends that you let it sit around for a day or two):
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eastern-no ... bbq-sauce/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

That sounds delicious...ive always been a very big fan of NC style BBQ.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I don't know how familiar any of you are with the Export/Delmont area of Western PA, but there is a small bakery called Donut Chef. Its next to the Wagon Wheel restaurant and is simply incredible. They make and sell loafs of bread, rolls, dough nuts, and its as fresh as can be. The bread is amazingly soft and they also sell a cinnamon raisin bread that is to die for. The dough nuts are made fresh every morning and the glazed are so light and fluffy they are amazing.

6922 us route 22 Greensburg Pa
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the perfect scallop...3 minutes to cook. 25 minutes to clean the char off the pan.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Im making pulled pork sandwiches today. I was wondering if anyone had experience on what kind of sauce or juice I can make when the meat is done. Once the pork is slow cooked all day and shredded, what can I soak it in? I usually just put BBQ sauce on it plain on a bun, but I want to try something different.
I like just cooking it slow with a can of root beer, no sauce needed.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

columbia wrote:This is in my familial wheelhouse. :)
Any hot sauce that has a prominent vinegar taste will work well.
You can even make your own (though the recipe recommends that you let it sit around for a day or two):
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eastern-no ... bbq-sauce/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I second this recommendation, I don't use anything but Carolina-style vinegar sauces for pulled pork. In addition to directly saucing the meat, you can also toss the sauce with some shredded cabbage to make slaw, and then you put some slaw on the bun with the pork (slaw on a sandwich might sound weird to some, but it should be a familiar concept to Pittsburghers).

I think I posted this already, but I ran across something called Sawsawan ng Bayan at a recent trip my local Asian grocery store. It's a Filipino sauce made from coconut vinegar, chiles, and other spices. Swap out the coconut vinegar for cider vinegar, and it could be a spicy Carolina vinegar sauce. And the label recommends using it on lechón: Filipino barbecued whole hog. I wonder if some good ol' boy from North Carolina once ended up in the Philippines, or whether it was a happy case of convergent evolution.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

I cook mine for about 14 hours, pull it, mix it with some Frank's Red Hot, then a little Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar sauce...but not enough to make it too moist. Then serve on a soft roll with a little coleslaw on top (that's Memphis Style).
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hinalayan pink salt on sliced heirloom tomatoes.
Feel free to thank me.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

I'm trying my hand at a new dish tonight. The very nice Middle Eastern woman who owns an amazing spice shop shared the recipe with me. It's called chicken biryani. It's basically a chicken and rice dish with a really unique sauce. Right now the chicken is marinating in a mixture of yogurt, masala and curry powder, star anise, clove, bay leaf, cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, garlic and ginger. Then it gets cooked with onions, tomatoes, more spices and served over a saffron infused rice. Fingers crossed it turns out okay.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My wife has started reading pinterest and is going to make some chicken casserole tonight. it will probably suck but at least she's finally trying to cook :pop:
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

BadHands71 wrote:I'm trying my hand at a new dish tonight. The very nice Middle Eastern woman who owns an amazing spice shop shared the recipe with me. It's called chicken biryani. It's basically a chicken and rice dish with a really unique sauce. Right now the chicken is marinating in a mixture of yogurt, masala and curry powder, star anise, clove, bay leaf, cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, garlic and ginger. Then it gets cooked with onions, tomatoes, more spices and served over a saffron infused rice. Fingers crossed it turns out okay.

If not, there's always the all you can eat sushi train for $15 across the street... But I doubt it will be bad.

We can always get a Debonaire's Double stuffed crust... Cheesegriller sausage rolled up in one crust with another roll of regular cheese in another roll of crust. Two stuffed crusts, one pizza = genius
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

BadHands71 wrote:I'm trying my hand at a new dish tonight. The very nice Middle Eastern woman who owns an amazing spice shop shared the recipe with me. It's called chicken biryani. It's basically a chicken and rice dish with a really unique sauce. Right now the chicken is marinating in a mixture of yogurt, masala and curry powder, star anise, clove, bay leaf, cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, garlic and ginger. Then it gets cooked with onions, tomatoes, more spices and served over a saffron infused rice. Fingers crossed it turns out okay.
It's basically like chiken tikka masala, which I make on the reg. it's my favorite dish that I'm capable of cooking.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

shmenguin wrote:
It's basically like chiken tikka masala, which I make on the reg. it's my favorite dish that I'm capable of cooking.
It's a little like chicken masala, but not quite. I've never made anything like this, there were so many layers of flavor. I was really happy with the results!!!