Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by GSdrums87 »

Turn signals AFTER pulling into the turning lane. Yeah, I see you're turning now, didn't help when you jammed on the brake and got over.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

When you call someone at work and the conversation goes like this...
Me: Hi, this is cheesesteak from accounting, how are you?

Them: OK

Silent pause for a few seconds

Me: So, can help me with ....
That silent pause that you sometimes get if you ask someone how they are and they dont ask in return just drives me bonkers.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:When you call someone at work and the conversation goes like this...
Me: Hi, this is cheesesteak from accounting, how are you?

Them: OK

Silent pause for a few seconds

Me: So, can help me with ....
That silent pause that you sometimes get if you ask someone how they are and they dont ask in return just drives me bonkers.
I had a friend who used to get upset when I didn't ask how she was in return. So I used to return the question... And then before she could answer I'd jump right into a conversation, cutting her off at the "I'm..." " so I was thinking about the XYZ corp account and I think...".

She didn't think it was very funny.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

GSdrums87 wrote:Turn signals AFTER pulling into the turning lane. Yeah, I see you're turning now, didn't help when you jammed on the brake and got over.
I think improper use of turn signals in general is very aggravating. they're not that hard to understand, plus the fact that if you've been driving for more than a year or so and those things aren't second nature already, you've got a problem with driving.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Yep. That and yield signs. I MAKE people yield when they think it's a merging lane. Ahhh, no, I win.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

short yield lanes + steady traffic = basically a stop sign
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

GSdrums87 wrote:Yep. That and yield signs. I MAKE people yield when they think it's a merging lane. Ahhh, no, I win.
So if you have the chance to get over and allow them to merge, you don't and make them brake? congrats, you've just brought out one of my other pet peeves!
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

PensFanInDC wrote:Passive aggressive and 2 faced jagoffs
isn't saying this without directing it at the person you're saying it about passive aggressive and 2 faced?
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

I have a road near my house where the far right is a yield merge, where if you stay on it goes back down to the highway, the middle continues straight, and 100 yards up, the left lane turns into left turn only. So I keep my speed and people try to fly around me on the right, while I'm going straight and others are trying to get over to get on the highway. Plus there's not enough time to get in the left to let them in and get back over. So yeah, they brake.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

count2infinity wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Yep. That and yield signs. I MAKE people yield when they think it's a merging lane. Ahhh, no, I win.
So if you have the chance to get over and allow them to merge, you don't and make them brake? congrats, you've just brought out one of my other pet peeves!
This happened to me today. I sped up on the ramp to merge and the jagoff sped up to match me. I had to cut the person behind him off in order to not hit anyone.

And on the turn signal thing, try driving in Ohio. It's apparently optional there.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

GSdrums87 wrote:I have a road near my house where the far right is a yield merge, where if you stay on it goes back down to the highway, the middle continues straight, and 100 yards up, the left lane turns into left turn only. So I keep my speed and people try to fly around me on the right, while I'm going straight and others are trying to get over to get on the highway. Plus there's not enough time to get in the left to let them in and get back over. So yeah, they brake.
ah, then in that situation, i'm not so angry. if it's just an on ramp on a highway and you don't move over I get very upset.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Nah, I'm not a dick until instigated. But I also have 2 roundabouts near my house; the epitome of yield sign ignorance.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Juice wrote:
isn't saying this without directing it at the person you're saying it about passive aggressive and 2 faced?
:lol:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I think I mention Ohio drivers every time turn signals come up... that is how much they bother me.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

GSdrums87 wrote:I have a road near my house where the far right is a yield merge, where if you stay on it goes back down to the highway, the middle continues straight, and 100 yards up, the left lane turns into left turn only. So I keep my speed and people try to fly around me on the right, while I'm going straight and others are trying to get over to get on the highway. Plus there's not enough time to get in the left to let them in and get back over. So yeah, they brake.
exactly. merging and yield signs n'at aren't black and white. in certain situations, you can't just roll through a yield point and reasonably expect someone to alter their path to let you in.

the situation you're describing here is what i go through every day on my way home from work - except i'm the guy in the yield lane. i don't expect people to go out of their way to let me in. if i have to stop and wait, i stop and wait. and the only person i get mad at is the idiot behind me who is getting ornery. and also, my yield lane is about 100 feet, not 100 yards. so it's extremely tight.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Juice wrote:
Passive aggressive, yes. 2 faced, no.

These are irrational are they not?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:My friend said to me, "You know what I like? Mashed potatoes."

I was like, Dude, you have to give me time to guess. If you're going to quiz me you have to insert a pause
This is also a pet peeve of mine. Another one where people don't give time to answer is "Guess what I did today?" or "Guess what I'm doing tonight?"
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

count2infinity wrote:
Hey you are the one with the yield sign. His lane doesn't have a "don't be a dink" sign.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

PghSkins wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
Hey you are the one with the yield sign. His lane doesn't have a "don't be a dink" sign.
I'd argue it's just as dangerous to attempt to merge into traffic going 5-10 MPH slower than said traffic as it is dangerous to completely ignore the yield sign.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Another yield sign horror story:

I take 51 to 68 to get to the hospital I work at in Beaver. There's a point where you leave 51 and merge to 68 where the mergers on the left (from 51) have the right of way. Apparently the guy in front of me didn't know that, because he literally stopped dead in the left lane. I almost rear-ended him, and the guy behind me almost hit me. Then he continued going straight after he switched to the right lane, which he could've accomplished in the left lane because he had plenty of room to continue at speed and change lanes further down the road.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

People who ignore turn signals.

People who don't use turn signals.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Unrelated to driving, I hate using the same fork for multiple things.

For instance, I had pasta with marinara sauce and a salad for lunch. I used 2 different forks because I don't want my salad with marinara or my pasta with ranch.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

PensFanInDC wrote:People who ignore turn signals.

People who don't use turn signals.
the people that stop and then put on their turn signals should be thrown into internment camps
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

the impatient people who usually follow me in the self-checkout line. If I have ten items and I have only put six of the items in the bag, I would recommend not rifling your tub of cream cheese, the four containers of greek yogurt and six 2 litres of Coke Zero down the belt until I am finished.

Next time I will bag them and walk out.

(ok, I probably wouldn't do that, but I would love to see their reaction if I did)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Self checkout lanes have a belt?