Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by Lt. Dish »

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, people state it every few posts. Some are arguing that Penn State is on the same level of Ivy League schools such as Penn and Princeton and others are arguing that its more on the level of other state schools such as USC, Maryland, Pitt, ND...
Adding to Idoit's nice, succinct summary, I'll throw in that there are merits to each argument.

Personally*, however, I find the argument to be increasingly specious (<-- obligatory appearance of academic word) as degrees become more specialized. Employers often cultivate lists of go-to schools with signature or "flagship" programs. Public perception has held that Ivies always always attract the best faculty in every discipline; it's just not true today.

Also, FWIW, depending on who's writing whatever guidebook (for parents, mostly <-- obligatory cynical potshot at the higher ed industry), PSU is included in an expanded list of Public Ivies.

* PSU and Ivy League grad, works in higher ed, has many high-profile industry contacts--none of which means I'm special.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

EL-TEE... in response to your * above ^^^^^^

We love ya anyway. :)
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

ExPatriatePen wrote:EL-TEE... in response to your * above ^^^^^^

LOL! I was trying to establish cred without being obnoxious, especially since I prove daily that I'm as sharp as a sponge.

For my next career, I'm going to clown school. Summayinz think I already did. :lol:
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MRandall25 wrote:^

I'm sure you could pull up a picture of literally every team's stadium in 1966 and now and there would be a huge difference.

And I know we're past this, but wouldn't having the highest graduation rate amongst football players mean (or at the least imply) that

1. The classes/requirements are actually easier compared to other schools (rather than being classified as "better" academically)

2. PSU football players (for lack of better terms) aren't "good enough" to leave early for the NFL, therefore staying all 4 years and graduating.

Or they recruit players based on the fact of their academic qualities as well. Same thing that Northwestern, Stanford, ND and etc. do.

Also you can graduate in less than 4 years, many players do it that go early into the nfl draft.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Lt. Dish wrote:

LOL! I was trying to establish cred without being obnoxious, especially since I prove daily that I'm as sharp as a sponge.

For my next career, I'm going to clown school. Summayinz think I already did. :lol:

Its ok you can brag and look down on us with fancy edumaction. :slug:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Grunthy wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Its ok you can brag and look down on us with fancy edumaction. :slug:
Wut? :?

Naw. Just naw. The only thing fancy about this girl is a pair of overpriced 4-inch champagne-gold stilettos I had to have 7 years ago but never wear.

:fist:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

viva la ben wrote:A lot changes in 50 years regardless of who is around.

I'm sure you could pull up a picture of literally every team's stadium in 1966 and now and there would be a huge difference.
Do you even read the posts? How many of those big schools (very few of the 120 FBS schools have fields as large as Beaver Stadium btw) have a public figure that was round for both eras? Close to 0. Rightly or not, he was a living monument.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
viva la ben wrote:A lot changes in 50 years regardless of who is around.

Do you even read the posts? How many of those big schools (very few of the 120 FBS schools have fields as large as Beaver Stadium btw) have a public figure that was round for both eras? Close to 0. Rightly or not, he was a living monument.
Regardless of that, he still was one man who was capable of making (huge) mistakes. The focus should be off of him and on the entire school. Singularly, they can't do much but together they're able to do so much more (THON). Fight for the scholarships and bowl sanctions, but just let Joe Pa go...
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Obviously, the guy made mistakes. Probably daily. So do you. So do I. People who don't see that are those who have the wool pulled over their eyes. Most of those people are either old(er), young and ignorant, or people who saw him as family. Not many here--at least the people who run in my social circles--hold Joe Paterno up as a God. The guy unarguably did some good in his life (and I'll leave it at that). The focus has been off of him for quite some time though.
Spoiler:
thanks to everyone who helped me pad my post count in this thread :thumb:
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

I finished reading the preliminary hearing transcripts. I don't see how these charges stick through a whole trial, simply on a matter of law. It was all the Judge could to to save the prosecution's bacon in this hearing - it did not go well for the prosecution. If it does go to trial, I believe we'll see an acquittal. Somehow, though, I think if Kane's office loses rulings on Cynthia Baldwin and the Ex Post Facto nature of the failure to report (charged under the 2007 law for an event that happened in 2001), this thing will get dismissed and we'll have the worst thing of all... no answers in the adversarial process to finally put this thing to rest.

for those with time, and who want to read for themselves, the four pdfs are linked from here (includes the closing statements, where the three defense counsel were far more persuasive than the prosecution, and where the Judge already had his mind made up to bind for trial): http://www.dauphincounty.org/government ... urley.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

So apparently the DA who let Sandusky go in 1998--the same one who went missing in 2005--was found. Dead. Killed by a Hell's Angel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Angel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the craziest story.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

I'll believe this when they find and ID the body.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

A former HA isn't going to rat like that if you ask me. Sounds like someone is vying for attention
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

mac5155 wrote:A former HA isn't going to rat like that if you ask me. Sounds like someone is vying for attention
Or as the story says, he is looking for immunity. I won't fully believe it until it's confirmed but this story is way more believable than some of the others.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
mac5155 wrote:A former HA isn't going to rat like that if you ask me. Sounds like someone is vying for attention
Or as the story says, he is looking for immunity. I won't fully believe it until it's confirmed but this story is way more believable than some of the others.
I get it but what does he need immunity from? He's a HA, his last worry should be legal trouble. They don't call themselves one percenters for nothing.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

mac5155 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
I get it but what does he need immunity from? He's a HA, his last worry should be legal trouble. They don't call themselves one percenters for nothing.
He is probably looking to be placed in witness protection and wants immunity from prosecution.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

It probably would've been smart to do that prior to blabbing to a newspaper. I can't imagine many people knew where the body was if true.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

there was a story in the Altoona Mirror on this on Friday I believe.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

PA AG reviewing case/looking into inaction by Central Mountain High School (victim 1).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... -/2940009/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

relantel wrote:PA AG reviewing case/looking into inaction by Central Mountain High School (victim 1).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... -/2940009/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is not my High School, but my High School (Lock Haven) was merged with a couple smaller schools to create it about back in the '90s. I know the Principal and Assistant Principal a little bit, and graduated with the Principal's daughter who I know pretty well. My parents still live out there, I haven't lived there in 20 years.

Seems as though the allegations of a coverup at CMHS have cropped up a few times and not amounted to anything, maybe now that the AG is involved there will be some resolution one way or the other. If this is played out like it's alleged I hope these folks are held accountable.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

JS with a pension hearing today in Harrisburg...

https://twitter.com/MikeDawsonCDT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the coverage. among the nuggets, not necessarily relevant to the criminal trial:
Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 48m I'm here at the #Sandusky pension hearing at SERS HQ in Harrisburg. Jerry is participating via video. His wife, Dottie, is here in person.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 44m We're getting started here at #Sandusky pension hearing. #Sandusky lawyer had asked for continuance, but the hrg examiner denied that.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 41m Media are not allowed to take photos/video in #Sandusky hearing, but it appears a #PA state employee is allowed.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 41m Media are not allowed to take photos/video in #Sandusky hearing, but it appears a #PA state employee is allowed.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 36m #Sandusky will now testify. He didn't testify at his criminal trial, so this is the first we've heard from him in a court in a while.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 30m At #Sandusky hearing examiner, Sandusky being asked if he was coach during undefeated #PennState seasons.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 30m When asked if #Sandusky's D bottled up Hershel Walker/UGa in 1982, Sandusky says "I would hope."

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 29m #Sandusky says #Paterno invited him to go w/ him to coach @ New England Patriots, but as we know, Paterno decided against leaving #PennState

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 28m #Sandusky also says he declined offers to coach football at Marshall and Temple.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 26m #Sandusky says he only signed contracts with #PennState in 1969 -- to be hired -- and in 1999 -- to retire.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 26m One of #Sandusky's pension defenses is that his pension can't be revoked under a law that was passed after he signed his contract in 1969.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 20m #Sandusky was in the middle of explaining three options he was considering in his post-retirement life at #PennState.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 19m #Sandusky said he proposed a youth program to the dean of H&HD (in 1998/99) ... he also turned down becoming asst athletic director ...

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 19m and #Sandusky said he tried to start a football program at #PennState Altoona.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 18m It appears the #Sandusky lawyer is trying to establish that Sandusky was not employed by #PennState after 1999.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 2m #Sandusky lawyer going through his retirement contract and then emergency rehire for 1999 #PennState season. ...

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 1m It appears #Sandusky lawyer laying foundation to support argument that Sandusky was not "de-facto" #PennState employee, as SERS contends

also, a Spanier vs Freeh hearing in Bellefonte begins at 10am. Dawson gives https://twitter.com/Carrollreporter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a feed there.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

More:

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 37m #Sandusky says he decided to become a consultant with #PennState after retiring. An agreement with Univ for 5 yrs spells it out

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 30m Despite "collaborative" post-retirement agrmnt betw #PennState and #Sandusky, #Sandusky testifies he never discussed it w/ PSU after leaving

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 16m #Sandusky says #Freeh report wrong on number of times he was paid by #PennState after he retired. It was 3 times, Sandusky testifies. Not 71

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 13m #Sandusky lawyer is done with questioning Sandusky. After a five-min break, SERS will cross-examination him.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 2m On cross-examination, we're again going through #Sandusky / #PennState glory years.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

MORE:
Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 24m During cross-examination, SERS lawyer laying foundation that #Sandusky's coaching position at #PennState gave him prominence.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 19m The SERS lawyer was trying to get #Sandusky to say he was 2nd-most prominent after #Paterno, but Sandusky would[n't] admit that.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 18m #Sandusky said former #PennState OC Frank Ganter was prominent, too. SERS lawyer counters: Ganter didn't write a football book, as Sandusky.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 14m #Sandusky testifies: Had he not been assistant #PennState coach he could never have started The Second Mile.
No real update out of Bellefonte in the Spanier vs Freeh suit.
Matt Carroll ‏@Carrollreporter 12m No decision today in #Spanier civil suit stay hearing. Sides just finished presenting their cases
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

what is sandusky trying to prove and who is he arguing with? the university?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

final JS hearing tweets
Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 9m SERS lawyer asks #Sandusky if he met Victims 1 and 9 through The Second Mile... Sandusky says: “Alleged victims I would call it, yeah.”

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 35m We're resuming the #Sandusky pension. #Sandusky's lawyer won't call anymore witnesses. They must think they have a strong case.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 30m Here's a recap of the #Spanier-#Freeh hearing today in Bellefonte from @Carrollreporter.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 30m No, it's actually here: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/01/07/3 ... anier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 19m SERS called an employee to read of the proceduarl history of this pension forfeiture case (going back to #Sandusky employment in 1969)...

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 19m and now SERS is done calling witnesses now that Curley and Schultz will not testify. #Sandusky.

Mike Dawson ‏@MikeDawsonCDT 14m #Sandusky pension hearing will be finished momentarily. A decision from the hearing examiner will come later after he reviews the case.