Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by shmenguin »

JoseCuervo wrote:I just want to come in and say this is a really stupid argument.

You can get a good education pretty much anywhere. It's mostly on the student, not the school.

There is also no criteria for "good education" in this argument. What counts as a good education?
graduation rate apparently. which is actually a little counter-intuitive.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

I've somehow done ok in life with a Penn State degree...I know, it's shocking.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

It just amazes me that people would bash a schools education and then not expect ppl to respond back. Wait no it doesn't... at least not here.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Idoit40fans wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If a company looks at a prospective employee with a PSU degree and a Penn degree, they're gonna think the person with the Penn degree is better. Perception is reality.
Not even true. I've interviewed at places that recruit exclusively from Princeton, Penn, and PSU. All of the big banks recruit here, all of our Lion Fund managers land jobs on Wall Street, kids in our CS dept. go to Google, Apple, Facebook, etc. Maybe the kid from Wharton who goes into Private Equity right out of undergrad (read: 1 kid) has an advantage, but for the most part that's just plain wrong. On the average, of course the kid with the Penn degree will fare better--but if a kid gets into both Penn and PSU then he won't have a disadvantage for picking either school. PSU has an astounding number of resources to take advantage of as an undergraduate and plenty of world class researchers that make this place what it is.
Cool, PSU students can get jobs.

The average PSU degree is worth less than the Average Penn, Princeton, or any other Ivy school's degree.

Here, here.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Grunthy wrote:It just amazes me that people would bash a schools education and then not expect ppl to respond back. Wait no it doesn't... at least not here.
bash? where is there bashing?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think en employer certainly does look at where the degree comes from. If they have 2 equally qualified applicants who both interviewed just as well and 1 went to Harvard and the other to PSU I bet they would hire the Harvard grad.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Grunthy wrote:It just amazes me that people would bash a schools education and then not expect ppl to respond back. Wait no it doesn't... at least not here.
Who is bashing? Saying PSU is not as good as ivy league school is fact.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shmenguin wrote:
bash? where is there bashing?

Acknowledging that other colleges provide education is apparantly PSU bashing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Only to a PSU grad(or OSU grad probably) would "Your school isn't as good as an Ivy League school" equal bashing.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Ah, you guys are funny!

But of course the "average" Penn degree is better than the "average" PSU degree because Penn got the better student on average. What I'm saying is that the top student at Penn and the top student at PSU are interchangeable. You can't say that about every school, as you suggest. Schreyers is basically an Ivy league program with Ivy league resources at PSU.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Only to a PSU grad(or OSU grad probably) would "Your school isn't as good as an Ivy League school" equal bashing.
and it's not like any of us went to an ivy league school (or at least not the people in this thread - i don't think) . so if we're "bashing" PSU, we're also bashing our own schools.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

Exactly, all the while MCM was telling me I work for a garbage (his exact words) university because they would let pacman
jones on a football team at his hallowed alma mater little boys were getting raped in showers. So yeah I got an irrational
hatred for some PSU alumni, not the university itself or the academics just the blowhard alumni that think their poo don't stink
like everyone elses.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Ah, you guys are funny!

But of course the "average" Penn degree is better than the "average" PSU degree because Penn got the better student on average. What I'm saying is that the top student at Penn and the top student at PSU are interchangeable. You can't say that about every school, as you suggest. Schreyers is basically an Ivy league program with Ivy league resources at PSU.
you can say that about every school.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Except I'm neither of those. But please continue...
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

One thing Ive learned is that you would be hard pressed to find a college football program that didn't have a criminal on scholarship or have some other shady stuff going down in the not too distant past. So pretty much everyone who criticizes the off the off-field issues of other programs is living in a glass house and throwing stones, unless you are a fan of BYU or Grove City.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Grunthy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Oh you're even worse. The PSU fan. Like the person thats 1/16th Irish and will never get into ND but has a full length back tattoo of Rudy. Yours is probably JoePa.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:One thing Ive learned is that you would be hard pressed to find a college football program that didn't have a criminal on scholarship or have some other shady stuff going down in the not too distant past. So pretty much everyone who criticizes the off the off-field issues of other programs is living in a glass house and throwing stones, unless you are a fan of BYU or Grove City.
you'd be hard pressed to find this particular brand of "shady stuff" going on with the number of schools you're alluding to. unless you think a systematic coverup of child rape is the same thing as buying a guy a car or something.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
It's confusing that you're not jaded by being a PSU grad, but still think that people are bashing PSU.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Troy Loney wrote:you can say that about every school.
You most certainly can't. The top student in my cohort was a quadruple major, received her masters, and wrote 2 book-length dissertations in 4 years. Schreyers regularly poaches Ivy league students who want to go to school for free and receive a comparable education.

Nobody is saying that other schools cannot provide a good education, but from someone who has taken advantages of its resources, PSU is most definitely a top school in many regards.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Oh you're even worse. The PSU fan. Like the person thats 1/16th Irish and will never get into ND but has a full length back tattoo of Rudy. Yours is probably JoePa.
Nope try again... you suck at this...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

...Every university has vague "resources".
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Grunthy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Nope try again... you suck at this...
So your not a PSU fan and you didn't go there and yet you still fabricate slights and call them bashing of the school? What is the point of your line of argument? Its extremely puzzling.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Idoit40fans wrote:Oh you're even worse. The PSU fan. Like the person thats 1/16th Irish and will never get into ND but has a full length back tattoo of Rudy. Yours is probably JoePa.
You sound like you have some repressed feelings you'd like to talk about.
Last edited by DontToewsMeBro on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I didn't even go to a "university," I went to a "college." And the resources pretty much sucked.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

LOL... such a fun conversation.

without reading all 98 pages, has anyone even mentioned that it really depends on what field of study you're in?

For instance, just to pick a couple of schools randomly, I don't think there's any question that CMU has a better Computer Sciences program than say, Clarion.