Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:I hate psu with a passion, i am a ND fan. But i can still put biased opinions behind and still see the **** that others just gloss over.
I have no bias against Psu but some people seem to be going to extremes in what PSU actually is and what it provides.

That is because psu is a great academic school. Not hard to see.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

shmenguin wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote: That's a bit naive. How many of those players would end up at a program that don't care about their academics and end up without a real education or a degree?
wait whaaaat?

i'm sure PSU is a nice school, but i'm curious what you think happens to most of their football players after they graduate (who don't make it to pro football) compared to any given school. i'm willing to wager they all end up in very similar places.
I don't think you're understanding the point I'm making. Penn State graduates their football players 23% above the national Div. 1 average. That is huge. They graduate 94% of their African American players--33% above the national average. Kids who want an education and to play for a great football team can't do much better than Stanford, PSU, Notre Dame, Northwestern. There is a precipitous drop between the academics at top football schools.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:Graduation rate doesn't necessarily equate to a good education. But I'm not disputing that an athlete would get a good education at PSU. I'm disputing that PSU is the only place they could get a good education. That, and that an athlete who was headed to PSU but ended up elsewhere is now in a bad situation.
What about the athlete that doesn't get that education bc that psu athlete transfered to that school taking a potential scholarship for them?
Yes, you would most likely have a trickle down affect to some Division II players. I was talking about the specific people who were going to PSU with my original comment though.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:I hate psu with a passion, i am a ND fan. But i can still put biased opinions behind and still see the **** that others just gloss over.
I have no bias against Psu but some people seem to be going to extremes in what PSU actually is and what it provides.

So is Stanford. So is ND. So is Northwestern. So is Duke. So is BC...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

That trickle down isn't affecting whether or not someone gets an education, its affecting whether someone gets a free education. In the end, the net result is somewhere the last walk-on doesn't walk on. They were going to that school anyway.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:

just bc psu gave u a scholarship doesn't mean those schools did. So your point is invalid.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:

off the cuff, i'd reserve the term "top rate" for a school like harvard, yale, princeton, etc.

PSU is a good school from what i know, but let's not go nuts
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

MWB wrote:So is Stanford. So is ND. So is Northwestern. So is Duke. So is BC...
How many of their recruits would end up at Duke or BC? Please.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The scholatship argument is like saying that you shouldn't put a criminal in jail because they have children to support.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
MWB wrote:So is Stanford. So is ND. So is Northwestern. So is Duke. So is BC...
How many of their recruits would end up at Duke or BC? Please.
How is that relevant?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

columbia wrote:The scholatship argument is like saying that you shouldn't put a criminal in jail because they have children to support.
that's not a bad analogy
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

shmenguin wrote:
MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:

off the cuff, i'd reserve the term "top rate" for a school like harvard, yale, princeton, etc.

PSU is a good school from what i know, but let's not go nuts

IVy league schools are no better except that they have name recognition.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If a company looks at a prospective employee with a PSU degree and a Penn degree, they're gonna think the person with the Penn degree is better. Perception is reality.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

My whole point is that PSU is not the only school that can provide a good education and field a decent teams.

I didn't really think it was a controversial opinion.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:

IVy league schools are no better except that they have name recognition.
Couldn't one just as easily say PSU is no better, it just has name recognition?
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Idoit40fans wrote:If a company looks at a prospective employee with a PSU degree and a Penn degree, they're gonna think the person with the Penn degree is better. Perception is reality.
read my post again. I said they have name recognition.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

MWB wrote:My whole point is that PSU is not the only school that can provide a good education and field a decent teams.

I didn't really think it was a controversial opinion.
Obviously you're not affliated with PSU
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Grunthy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If a company looks at a prospective employee with a PSU degree and a Penn degree, they're gonna think the person with the Penn degree is better. Perception is reality.
read my post again. I said they have name recognition.
Read my post again, name recognition breeds a real difference in value.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

When I read that a post is from Idoit40fans, my expectation of said post is immediately raised. Name recognition, bro.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Not even true. I've interviewed at places that recruit exclusively from Princeton, Penn, and PSU. All of the big banks recruit here, all of our Lion Fund managers land jobs on Wall Street, kids in our CS dept. go to Google, Apple, Facebook, etc. Maybe the kid from Wharton who goes into Private Equity right out of undergrad (read: 1 kid) has an advantage, but for the most part that's just plain wrong. On the average, of course the kid with the Penn degree will fare better--but if a kid gets into both Penn and PSU then he won't have a disadvantage for picking either school. PSU has an astounding number of resources to take advantage of as an undergraduate and plenty of world class researchers that make this place what it is.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I've somehow done ok in life without a Penn State degree...I know, it's shocking.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

columbia wrote:I've somehow done ok in life without a Penn State degree...I know, it's shocking.
Well think how much better it could have been. Beautiful women throwing themselves at you, the greatest football team and tailgate parties in the country, corner office at any wall street investment bank?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

I just want to come in and say this is a really stupid argument.

You can get a good education pretty much anywhere. It's mostly on the student, not the school.

There is also no criteria for "good education" in this argument. What counts as a good education?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Not even true. I've interviewed at places that recruit exclusively from Princeton, Penn, and PSU. All of the big banks recruit here, all of our Lion Fund managers land jobs on Wall Street, kids in our CS dept. go to Google, Apple, Facebook, etc. Maybe the kid from Wharton who goes into Private Equity right out of undergrad (read: 1 kid) has an advantage, but for the most part that's just plain wrong. On the average, of course the kid with the Penn degree will fare better--but if a kid gets into both Penn and PSU then he won't have a disadvantage for picking either school. PSU has an astounding number of resources to take advantage of as an undergraduate and plenty of world class researchers that make this place what it is.
psu is super duper, we get it. it's not "top rate".
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Cool, PSU students can get jobs.

The average PSU degree is worth less than the Average Penn, Princeton, or any other Ivy school's degree. I'm also sure that my Duquesne degree got me a job, but thats probably because I spent abotu 20 hours on PSU's campus once.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.