Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by CERV96 »

Here are my thoughts. The program should be held accountable due to the fact that they covered this up to protect the football program therefore the program should be punished in some capacity.

Do I believe the student atheletes who are under scholarship and current football players deserve to be punished? No, but it is a wrong place at the wrong time kind of thing. You have to find some common ground and I believe the NCAA has done that given any student athelete can transfer with out penalty.

These are my thoughts and that is all they are. If I missed some things I apologize.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

CERV96 wrote:Here are my thoughts. The program should be held accountable due to the fact that they covered this up to protect the football program therefore the program should be punished in some capacity.

Do I believe the student atheletes who are under scholarship and current football players deserve to be punished? No, but it is a wrong place at the wrong time kind of thing. You have to find some common ground and I believe the NCAA has done that given any student athelete can transfer with out penalty.

These are my thoughts and that is all they are. If I missed some things I apologize.
i'm on board with this. the alternative is waiting 4 or 5 years to implement any scholarship cuts. That's not the most outrageous plan i've ever heard, but it's a bit unrealistic
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Why is it so difficult for people to understand that punishing the students is stupid? punish the inept adminstrators who were responsible, not the kids that did nothing wrong.
so you're saying that cutting scholarships is never appropriate for any offense committed by administrators?
Man you are really teaching those adminstrators a hard lesson by not helping an underprivileged kid go to college :thumb:
That's a bit naive. Are there really any scholarship players that would have gone to PSU that would end up nowhere else?
ummm no it isn't naive. every school has an allotment of scholarships. so there is a finite number. Take away any of those from any school you are affecting people.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Why is it so difficult for people to understand that punishing the students is stupid? punish the inept adminstrators who were responsible, not the kids that did nothing wrong.
so you're saying that cutting scholarships is never appropriate for any offense committed by administrators?
Man you are really teaching those adminstrators a hard lesson by not helping an underprivileged kid go to college :thumb:
That's a bit naive. Are there really any scholarship players that would have gone to PSU that would end up nowhere else?
That's a bit naive. How many of those players would end up at a program that don't care about their academics and end up without a real education or a degree?
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:
Are you talking about the athletes, or the student body in general, or both?

both.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DontToewsMeBro wrote: That's a bit naive. How many of those players would end up at a program that don't care about their academics and end up without a real education or a degree?
wait whaaaat?

i'm sure PSU is a nice school, but i'm curious what you think happens to most of their football players after they graduate (who don't make it to pro football) compared to any given school. i'm willing to wager they all end up in very similar places.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:

both.
If you are a football player, you had the option to transfer. A scandal of any sort is the risk an athlete takes when they sign with a school. And the student body is being punished how? By having a less successful football program? I guess I just don't see how that is a big deal. Maybe I'm missing something.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the student body being punished isn't worth any consideration from the NCAA or any governing body.

the athletes who get the chop - i feel very bad for them.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:

both.
If you are a football player, you had the option to transfer. A scandal of any sort is the risk an athlete takes when they sign with a school. And the student body is being punished how? By having a less successful football program? I guess I just don't see how that is a big deal. Maybe I'm missing something.

If you think this is just affecting the football program you a seriously misinformed.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eh. you could say that about any team that gets punished. it doesn't negate the validity of the punishment.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
MWB wrote: That's a bit naive. Are there really any scholarship players that would have gone to PSU that would end up nowhere else?
That's a bit naive. How many of those players would end up at a program that don't care about their academics and end up without a real education or a degree?
You are really putting PSU and its athletes on a pedestal. Maybe they'd end up somewhere else and get a better education.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:
If you think this is just affecting the football program you a seriously misinformed.
Expand and enlighten.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
MWB wrote: That's a bit naive. Are there really any scholarship players that would have gone to PSU that would end up nowhere else?
You are really putting PSU and its athletes on a pedestal. Maybe they'd end up somewhere else and get a better education.
Penn State has the best graduation rate in div 1... So they are getting a top rate education.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Expand and enlighten.
Really...? Lost revenue is ne thing. The revenue stream that it generates funds a lot of programs.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

CERV96 wrote:Here are my thoughts. The program should be held accountable due to the fact that they covered this up to protect the football program therefore the program should be punished in some capacity.

This is pretty much how I feel.

It sucks for the kids who were on the team that did nothing wrong, but I don't see how you could not punish the football program in some sort of way based on the fact that the person who did these horrible things was part of that department for so many years.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Penn State has the best graduation rate in div 1... So they are getting a top rate education.
You're making a pretty large jump in logic there.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

That's it right there. No cover-up, just a very crafty pedofile and some minor allegations all handled by
strictly proper protocol. :roll:
Last edited by rasbatch on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Well, those programs benefited for what like 20 years with undisturbed funding while the administration thought it better to ignore the pedophile?

Pretty sure that argument will fall on deaf ears to everyone outside the state college universe.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Graduation rate doesn't necessarily equate to a good education. But I'm not disputing that an athlete would get a good education at PSU. I'm disputing that PSU is the only place they could get a good education. That, and that an athlete who was headed to PSU but ended up elsewhere is now in a bad situation.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

I hate psu with a passion, i am a ND fan. But i can still put biased opinions behind and still see the **** that others just gloss over.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
you'll have to do better than some graduation stat to say that PSU is "top rate".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Troy Loney wrote:Well, those programs benefited for what like 20 years with undisturbed funding while the administration thought it better to ignore the pedophile?

Pretty sure that argument will fall on deaf ears to everyone outside the state college universe.
This.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Expand and enlighten.
Really...? Lost revenue is ne thing. The revenue stream that it generates funds a lot of programs.
So which programs are being cut?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:I hate psu with a passion, i am a ND fan. But i can still put biased opinions behind and still see the **** that others just gloss over.
I have no bias against PSU, but some people seem to be going to extremes in what PSU actually is and what it provides.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MWB wrote:Graduation rate doesn't necessarily equate to a good education. But I'm not disputing that an athlete would get a good education at PSU. I'm disputing that PSU is the only place they could get a good education. That, and that an athlete who was headed to PSU but ended up elsewhere is now in a bad situation.
What about the athlete that doesn't get that education bc that psu athlete transfered to that school taking a potential scholarship for them?