Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by shafnutz05 »

Factorial wrote:
count2infinity wrote:okay okay... no one is saying this poll shows you that the majority of people in the nation think it was unfair. I'm just saying it's not the 99/1 split you were talking about, I believe it to be much closer to 50/50
I didn't say it was a 99/1 split. My guess is in a random poll, it would be 80/20.
Here's the problem. I could turn around and say that in a random poll, the vast majority of the people in the poll don't know much about the case except "SANDUSKY = CHILD MOLESTER = PATERNO = PENN STATE = BAD."

They won't even consider the validity of the sanctions imposed by NCAA, nor whether NCAA has the jurisdiction to enforce them. It's like asking some stranger if a person convicted of murdering someone should be given the death penalty, without revealing the details about police mishandling of evidence.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Bioshock wrote:The people who defend this are sick.
The people who believe the NCAA sanctions went too far are "sick"? In what way, if you don't mind me asking?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Factorial wrote:
count2infinity wrote:okay okay... no one is saying this poll shows you that the majority of people in the nation think it was unfair. I'm just saying it's not the 99/1 split you were talking about, I believe it to be much closer to 50/50
I didn't say it was a 99/1 split. My guess is in a random poll, it would be 80/20.
apologies, it was cheesesteakwitegg that said that.
Bioshock wrote:The people who defend this are sick. If Paterno was alive, he would be going to court and then prison.

No, the NCAA will never lift their sanctions and i say good. Drive home the fact that every time you place entertainment above all else, you get burned.
Defend what? The sanctions on people that had absolutely nothing to do with the situation that occurred? I'm not saying that Paterno's statue should be returned and everyone involved with the case should be let free. I'm just saying the NCAA overstepped their bounds. How is that sick?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pennsylvanians Are Split on Penn State Penalties
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/sport ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My guess is that a PA poll would have a higher than average number of people who objected to it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

BTW, today ends the "Free Agency" sanction of allowing any Penn State player to transfer to another school with no loss of a year of eligibility. I think that, above all other sanctions was to be the one to drive a steak into the heart of the football program and shut it down for years to come. Luckily most stayed, and those that did leave were easily replaced (aside from Ferra who left because his mother was sick back in Texas and he wanted to be closer to home)
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Bioshock wrote:The people who defend this are sick. If Paterno was alive, he would be going to court and then prison.

No, the NCAA will never lift their sanctions and i say good. Drive home the fact that every time you place entertainment above all else, you get burned.
No charges were taken out against Paterno when he was alive and everyone else involved was charged. It's not entirely clear anyone will actually go to prison other than Sandusky. You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

lol... drive a steak.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

all you joepoligists need to ask yourself if this had happened at Michigan, Ohio State, or WVU
would you feel the same way about the NCAA penalties and the criminal proceedings?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

rasbatch wrote:all you joepoligists need to ask yourself if this had happened at Michigan, Ohio State, or WVU
would you feel the same way about the NCAA penalties and the criminal proceedings?
I don't give two **** about Paterno right now. I'm talking about the university, the players past and present, and the community as a whole and what the sanctions have done to them.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

rasbatch wrote:all you joepoligists need to ask yourself if this had happened at Michigan, Ohio State, or WVU
Who is apologizing for Joe Paterno, and what does that have to do with the validity and fairness of the NCAA sanctions?

The first three words in your question show pretty clearly what your opinion is, and nothing would sway it.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:The people who defend this are sick.
The people who believe the NCAA sanctions went too far are "sick"? In what way, if you don't mind me asking?
Wait, who's defending what? Did I miss somebody saying Jerry Sandusky is a good guy for molesting vulnerable children?

You are one of those people that follow the logic Jerry Sandusky -> Joe Paterno -> Penn State -> satan worshipers, aren't you?

Is it really that difficult to distance Sandusky's actions and their consequences from what is happening between PSU and the NCAA?
columbia wrote:Pennsylvanians Are Split on Penn State Penalties
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/sport ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My guess is that a PA poll would have a higher than average number of people who objected to it.
doubtful. Either way, PA would probably be the worst state to gather any meaningful data about the country's view on this matter due to the extreme biases on both sides of the subject.
Last edited by DontToewsMeBro on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

count2infinity wrote:
I don't give two **** about Paterno right now. I'm talking about the university, the players past and present, and the community as a whole and what the sanctions have done to them.
Life ain't fair, and people paint with a broad brush get over it.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Lol... go back to your shanty. Geeze. You have obviously done ZERO reading of the last few pages of this thread and have no idea what is even being discussed here.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

GSdrums87 wrote:Image
this genuinely made me lol
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Penn State Alumn and fan.

I think anyone involved in hiding it under the rug, keeping quiet, etc should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I also think that the NCAA overstepped their boundaries on this. It wasn't a matter for them to deal with, I feel. I think Penn State should have been the ones to sanction themselves. Whether they would have done a whole lot can be left up for debate. I think this whole matter, despite happening with individuals in an athletic department, is outside the scope for the NCAA.

I actually have no issue with the sanctions but more where they came from.

And no matter what school this would have came from, I would have said the same for both the criminal and NCAA side of things.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Beveridge wrote:Penn State Alumn and fan.

I think anyone involved in hiding it under the rug, keeping quiet, etc should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I also think that the NCAA overstepped their boundaries on this. It wasn't a matter for them to deal with, I feel. I think Penn State should have been the ones to sanction themselves. Whether they would have done a whole lot can be left up for debate. I think this whole matter, despite happening with individuals in an athletic department, is outside the scope for the NCAA.

I actually have no issue with the sanctions but more where they came from.

And no matter what school this would have came from, I would have said the same for both the criminal and NCAA side of things.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: pretty much this. but you're still a satan worshiper for thinking the NCAA overstepped their bounds.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that punishing the students is stupid? punish the inept adminstrators who were responsible, not the kids that did nothing wrong.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

count2infinity wrote:Lol... go back to your shanty. Geeze. You have obviously done ZERO reading of the last few pages of this thread and have no idea what is even being discussed here.
I know enough to recognize whining when I see it. I also know the actions of a few don't degrade
the reputation of an excellent university. Shanty? pfft.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Grunthy wrote:Why is it so difficult for people to understand that punishing the students is stupid? punish the inept adminstrators who were responsible, not the kids that did nothing wrong.
Well for the most part it's because many think there is a problem with the school's "culture"--right on down from the admins to the students. I'd like to slap whoever started the bs about "culture" being the problem directly in the face. That is a cop out, not to mention a complete farce. Our student athletes handle themselves very well. It's not their fault that they believed in "success with honor" without knowing some admins added "sometimes" at the end of it.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

In no particular order:

The postseason ban I thought was a couple years too long.
The reduced scholarships I thought was dumb.
The vacated wins is dumb everytime they do it to any school - the games were played, just makes no sense - more of a politics move
-These would be used for actual sanctions when it had something to do with the program not people connected to the program

I thought the open transfers with no sitting a year out was great
I thought the fine fell a little short but I think over the years, Penn State will give more than just the fine.

I think those were the big 4. Might be missing smaller ones.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Grunthy wrote:Why is it so difficult for people to understand that punishing the students is stupid? punish the inept adminstrators who were responsible, not the kids that did nothing wrong.
so you're saying that cutting scholarships is never appropriate for any offense committed by administrators?
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

shmenguin wrote:
so you're saying that cutting scholarships is never appropriate for any offense committed by administrators?
Man you are really teaching those adminstrators a hard lesson by not helping an underprivileged kid go to college :thumb:
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Are you talking about the athletes, or the student body in general, or both?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Grunthy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Man you are really teaching those adminstrators a hard lesson by not helping an underprivileged kid go to college :thumb:
That's a bit naive. Are there really any scholarship players that would have gone to PSU that would end up nowhere else?