RIP Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by newarenanow »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
JS© wrote:RIP Jokichi Ikarashi. who was briefly thought to be the world's oldest verified living man at 111 years and 178 days. Upon his death, it was discovered that 112 year old Salustiano "Shorty" Sanchez now holds the title, born on June 8, 1901 or six months before Ikarishi.
How many people who were born in the 1800s are left? We should be getting down to the last 10 or so.
There are eight left. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_li ... ntenarians
That is just strange to me in a way. Out of 6 billion people left, there are 8 from the 19th century. Just think if you were one of those 8.

Probably within the next year, there will be none.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

newarenanow wrote:Probably within the next year, there will be none.
Methuselah lived to be 969.

So right there is documented historical precedent ...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

redwill wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Probably within the next year, there will be none.
Methuselah lived to be 969.

So right there is documented historical precedent ...
With the way the world is fat and unhealthy today, no way any of these people make to even 900.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Go gluten free and you'll live to be a 1000.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Hockeynut! wrote:From DD's link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeralean_Talley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty awesome!
As reinforcement of how old she is, her mention that she gave up driving after going in reverse by pushing the wrong pedal is likely a reference to a Ford Model T, which had a separate floor pedal that engaged reverse. Darn, lady, you gave up early. :lol:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

RIP George Scott at 69.

I have this card:

and am feeling pretty old now.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Factorial wrote:RIP George Scott at 69.

I have this card:

http://cardboardgods.files.wordpress.co ... 9_1080.jpg

and am feeling pretty old now.
RIP. Glad you posted the pic, so no one will confuse him with
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

RIP Michael Ansara

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

RIP.

One of a only a few to play the same character in three incarnations of Star Trek.

Born in Syria, he played numerous Native American and Mexican characters and appeared in countless tv shows in the 50's, 60's, 70's.

Also married to Jeanie's Barbara Eden.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

RIP former WWII veteran and NFL Hall Of Famer Art Donovan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... dies-at-88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fatso."

That's what everyone called him. And for those of you sitting with an iPad on your lap or scrolling down on your cell phone, finding out who Fatso was -- former Baltimore Colts defensive tackle Art Donovan -- makes for time well spent.

One of the funniest professional athletes you'll ever meet, Donovan could hold court as well as any player ever seen (or heard) in a post-game locker room. Unfortunately, Donovan died Sunday night at the age of 88, the Baltimore Ravens announced.

Art Donovan through the years
Take a look at the best photos of Art Donovan through the years.
His wasn't solely the story of a cutup. Donovan was a veteran of the Pacific Theatre in World War II. He also was a disruptive force in the middle of pro football's best team of the late 1950s.

How disruptive was Donovan? Enough to make the Pro Football Hall of Fame in just his second year of eligibility. That was in 1968, the Hall's sixth class ever, meaning there was a backlog of players from the '20s, '30s and '40s waiting to get in. We're talking first-ballot material here.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

JS© wrote:RIP former WWII veteran and NFL Hall Of Famer Art Donovan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... dies-at-88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fatso."

That's what everyone called him. And for those of you sitting with an iPad on your lap or scrolling down on your cell phone, finding out who Fatso was -- former Baltimore Colts defensive tackle Art Donovan -- makes for time well spent.

One of the funniest professional athletes you'll ever meet, Donovan could hold court as well as any player ever seen (or heard) in a post-game locker room. Unfortunately, Donovan died Sunday night at the age of 88, the Baltimore Ravens announced.

Art Donovan through the years
Take a look at the best photos of Art Donovan through the years.
His wasn't solely the story of a cutup. Donovan was a veteran of the Pacific Theatre in World War II. He also was a disruptive force in the middle of pro football's best team of the late 1950s.

How disruptive was Donovan? Enough to make the Pro Football Hall of Fame in just his second year of eligibility. That was in 1968, the Hall's sixth class ever, meaning there was a backlog of players from the '20s, '30s and '40s waiting to get in. We're talking first-ballot material here.
"How much does this guy weigh?"

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

RIP former Red Wings/Lighting/Sharks forward Shawn Burr.
DETROIT - Shawn Burr, whose upbeat personality made him a fan favorite during his time with the Red Wings, has passed away.

Burr was 47. He had battled cancer in recent years, but died Monday evening after an accident during the weekend.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... 7/2621921/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

RIP musician, songwriter, and producer “Cowboy” Jack Clement at age 82. Over his career, Clement wrote songs or produced records for an astounding array of artists, including Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Roy Orbison, Louis Armstrong, Ray Charles, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Tom Jones, and Townes Van Zandt. He arguably “discovered” both Jerry Lee Lewis and Charlie Pride, and he recorded the songs “When Love Came To Town,” “Angel of Harlem,” and “Love Rescue Me” on U2’s album Rattle and Hum at the specific request of the band’s members. He also produced and recorded Johnny Cash's blockbuster hit “Ring of Fire.”

http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1 ... e-82.jhtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Go gluten free and you'll live to be a 1000.
I tried gluten-free beer a week or so ago. Apparently 'gluten' is a German word that best translates as 'flavor'. Wife and I took one sip each and threw out the rest of the bottle. It was one of the most terrible things I've ever tasted in my life. I think I'll keep the gluten and die happy somewhere between 80 and 100. :wink:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

tifosi77 wrote:
I tried gluten-free beer a week or so ago. Apparently 'gluten' is a German word that best translates as 'flavor'. Wife and I took one sip each and threw out the rest of the bottle. It was one of the most terrible things I've ever tasted in my life. I think I'll keep the gluten and die happy somewhere between 80 and 100. :wink:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I should remind everyone that when I say gluten-free beer was one of the worst things I've ever tasted, that is coming from a person who has eaten balut and natto.

(I now return the thread of death back to its intended purpose)
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Gluten free beer is usually rice based so it tasted like sake to me. Can't stand it and wont drink it. I also wont eat gluten free again. Sure it's better for you but some things I wont sacrifice.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

tifosi77 wrote:
I tried one of Dogfish's gluten free beers and it was one of the few Dogfish beers that I was not impressed with, perhaps even bordering on awful.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

PensFanInDC wrote:Gluten free beer is usually rice based so it tasted like sake to me. Can't stand it and wont drink it. I also wont eat gluten free again. Sure it's better for you but some things I wont sacrifice.
Response posted in JTOR.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ident.html

RIP the guy that did the James Bond parachuting at the London Olympics. Apparently he was wing-diving....you couldn't pay me a million dollars to do something that insane.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

RIP Lisa Robin Kelly from That 70's show

GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

That's a weird one.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by TheGhostofGoulet »

Was she the one that had a drunk driving arrest in the recent past?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

That's a shame.... she became very methy at the end.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:Was she the one that had a drunk driving arrest in the recent past?
Yep.

According to reports, she died in her sleep at rehab.