HGH in NHL

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

HGH in NHL

Post by Factorial »

After Braun's recent suspension from MLB, I wondered whether the NHL players were being tested for HGH.

No current testing for HGH.
The new NHL CBA talks about a limited number of tests in the off-season. Not good enough. To truly deter cheating, testing protocols have to be comprehensive, year-round programs.

This also bugs me: The new NHL CBA agreement calls for a program committee “to study the issue of HGH testing” and whether or not to establish a testing program for HGH.

What the hell is that?

Of course HGH testing should be included.

Why is the NHL dragging its feet on this? Mark my word. As a result of this lax protocol, there will be drug scandals in the NHL. Hockey people who think that NHL players wouldn’t use PEDs have their heads buried in the sand.

You don’t use PED’s just to bulk up. You also use them to train harder, recover quicker, etc.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: HGH in NHL

Post by SolidSnake »

Ovechkin
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

SolidSnake wrote:Ovechkin
I'd like to see what the dates were when he was tested this and last year. I think there are three per season.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Would HGH really help an NHL player? Hockey is more about speed and agility more than just brute strength.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Crankshaft wrote:Would HGH really help an NHL player? Hockey is more about speed and agility more than just brute strength.

This seems to be the common reason why people don't think this is an issue in the NHL but see above about training and recovery. Also, the brute strength can allow you to get off one wicked slap shot (see OV).
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

I don't know so much about Ovie. He is not what one would call "ripped". Kinda flabby really. And while PEDS do not necessarily get you "ripped". Neither Braun, A-Rod nor Palmeiro would fit into that catagory but Bonds, McGwire, and Canseco certainly would. But I'm thinking that the NHL is certainly not leading the field on patrolling PEDS, that's for sure.

BEPF
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I definitely assume that they are being used in the NHL.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Crankshaft wrote:Would HGH really help an NHL player? Hockey is more about speed and agility more than just brute strength.
Wouldn't strength in quick-twitch muscles that work for agility make a player quicker, along with a harder shot?

Explosive players would most definitely benefit. More power down to accelerate and hit top speed faster.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

HGH would be extremely beneficial in recovery rather than physical strength for the NHL.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Rylan wrote:HGH would be extremely beneficial in recovery rather than physical strength for the NHL.
This is my thought as well. There's more technical ability in hockey than physical strength. You can have the biggest arms in the world and still not have a good slapshot.

I'm not going to get into any sort of libel situation here, but just from what I know (what little that is)...is this kind of thing out there? Yes, juniors and pros. Is it an epidemic? No, not to the best of my knowledge. To my knowledge, they do not test in the playoffs...ahem.

Touchy subject...I won't have more to add I don't believe...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

SolidSnake wrote:Ovechkin
Doesn't enhance your giving a **** muscles....
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Rylan wrote:HGH would be extremely beneficial in recovery rather than physical strength for the NHL.
Never thought of that. Interesting concept.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Crankshaft wrote:
Never thought of that. Interesting concept.
Especially with the game-to-game grind that would happen in an 82 game season. I can tell you if I had 3 hockey games a week, I'd be completely wiped.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pucks_and_Pols »

If you think noone in the NHL is using PEDs you are fooling yourself. I would *guess* that the type of cheating that you see in cycling for quick recovery times would be more valuable for hockey players then muscle bulging steroids. I could definitly see 4th line enforcer/grinder types trying to bulk up some to get an edge that can keep them collecting NHL paychecks. I also have been highly suspect of Ovie being on something since a doctor associated with the Caps was arrested for peddling peds and his numbers fell off the cliff.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

MRandall25 wrote:
Wouldn't strength in quick-twitch muscles that work for agility make a player quicker, along with a harder shot?

Explosive players would most definitely benefit. More power down to accelerate and hit top speed faster.
Have you ever thought, "I'd be a better hockey player if I was bigger and stronger.". Of course it helps.