Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by eddysnake »

canaan wrote:dont mean to open old wounds, but i dont have cruise control and am probably guilty of the pass and brake method that you have a hatred for. sorry. will probably happen again, but sorry.
that's OK, after reading this thread, I now do this on purpose on the slim chance that it would be funny meeting someone else on here via pass & brake
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Currently 70 degrees in Pittsburgh, and some idiot on my facebook page is going on and on how excited she is that its hoddie weather. She is probably the same person that puts shorts and a tank top on in March when it hits 50.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

People who dont close their parenthesis (you know who you are

Asteriks without footnotes
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Billboard advertisements for jewelry companies that feature watches that only a millionaire could reasonably afford. For example, on the way back from getting my hair cut in Oakland today, I passed a billboard for Orr’s Jewelers on Fifth Avenue that featured a Patek Philippe wristwatch. Pateks are some of the most expensive watches in the world, and looking up that particular model it has a list price of nearly $90,000. Now, I’m sure there are people in Pittsburgh who can afford to drop $90 grand on a watch, but are those people going to be influenced by roadside billboards?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Shyster wrote:Billboard advertisements for jewelry companies that feature watches that only a millionaire could reasonably afford. For example, on the way back from getting my hair cut in Oakland today, I passed a billboard for Orr’s Jewelers on Fifth Avenue that featured a Patek Philippe wristwatch. Pateks are some of the most expensive watches in the world, and looking up that particular model it has a list price of nearly $90,000. Now, I’m sure there are people in Pittsburgh who can afford to drop $90 grand on a watch, but are those people going to be influenced by roadside billboards?
I assume this bill board was on the edge of the Hill District.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Shyster wrote:Billboard advertisements for jewelry companies that feature watches that only a millionaire could reasonably afford. For example, on the way back from getting my hair cut in Oakland today, I passed a billboard for Orr’s Jewelers on Fifth Avenue that featured a Patek Philippe wristwatch. Pateks are some of the most expensive watches in the world, and looking up that particular model it has a list price of nearly $90,000. Now, I’m sure there are people in Pittsburgh who can afford to drop $90 grand on a watch, but are those people going to be influenced by roadside billboards?
Indeed it was.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Shyster wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Indeed it was.
Lots of folks there can afford 90K for a watch I'm sure. :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Billboards aren't necessarily to drive an action, in this case being purchase. They are more just to place the name out there so that when a potential consumer is considering purchasing a watch, the name Patek will likely be in their mind.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Rylan wrote:Billboards aren't necessarily to drive an action, in this case being purchase. They are more just to place the name out there so that when a potential consumer is considering purchasing a watch, the name Patek will likely be in their mind.
The absolute cheapest, most basic Patek Philippe runs about $9,000 (the most expensive ones cost more than $200,000). They actually makes Rolexes look like bargain-bin watches. What percentage of people can even afford to drop $9,000 on a cheap one? I sure as heck can't. (Although I must admit that if the item in question were, say, a Krieghoff K-80 competition shotgun, I could probably rationalize that cost).
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Those hill district folk keep me gainfully employed thank you.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Shyster wrote:
Rylan wrote:Billboards aren't necessarily to drive an action, in this case being purchase. They are more just to place the name out there so that when a potential consumer is considering purchasing a watch, the name Patek will likely be in their mind.
The absolute cheapest, most basic Patek Philippe runs about $9,000 (the most expensive ones cost more than $200,000). They actually makes Rolexes look like bargain-bin watches. What percentage of people can even afford to drop $9,000 on a cheap one? I sure as heck can't. (Although I must admit that if the item in question were, say, a Krieghoff K-80 competition shotgun, I could probably rationalize that cost).
$200k? Are you sure?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PATEK-PHILIPPE- ... 2ec830528b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if that's just an unreal markup or the standard price on that watch.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

JS© wrote:$200k? Are you sure?
Hey, I did say more than $200,000. :wink: In fact, I found a version of the watch in your Ebay link that comes with two more sub-faces showing day and month that retails for $1.1 million. That’ll show all the guys down at the country club, eh?*

*Unless maybe the country club in question is Augusta National and the “guys” are Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

JS© wrote:
Shyster wrote:
$200k? Are you sure?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PATEK-PHILIPPE- ... 2ec830528b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if that's just an unreal markup or the standard price on that watch.
$50 for shipping? THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Bad manners in kids. Please and thank you, children of the world.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Excuse me for a minute while I vent... I'm so tired of people who take pride in being verbally and physically abusive.

We all get angry from time to time, but it's how we choose to deal with that anger that's important.

'nuff said.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Excuse me for a minute while I vent... I'm so tired of people who take pride in being verbally and physically abusive.

We all get angry from time to time, but it's how we choose to deal with that anger that's important.

'nuff said.
I totally support this post.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Does anybody have a thing with falling asleep while laying down for a few minutes? Been happening to me lately. I want to lay down for 10 minutes just to regain some strength to finish what I'm doing, lets say around 11 or midnight and - boom - I wake up at 7am in my clothes and with contacts in my eyes. It's pretty annoying. Not even having brushed teeth before 'sleep'... yuck.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sarcastic wrote:Does anybody have a thing with falling asleep while laying down for a few minutes?
I'm thinking everyone...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sarcastic wrote:Does anybody have a thing with falling asleep while laying down for a few minutes? Been happening to me lately. I want to lay down for 10 minutes just to regain some strength to finish what I'm doing, lets say around 11 or midnight and - boom - I wake up at 7am in my clothes and with contacts in my eyes. It's pretty annoying. Not even having brushed teeth before 'sleep'... yuck.
That is kind of normal.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Thank god. I thought I was on my way out or something. But seriously, it never used to occur to me, just falling asleep like that. Just recently. Good thing is... I lay down and go to sleep. No problemo. Some people need 3 hours to fall asleep.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

does anyone else have a thing with not eating for a while then their stomach starts to growl? been happening to kenny the kangaroo a lot lately
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:does anyone else have a thing with not eating for a while then their stomach starts to growl? been happening to kenny the kangaroo a lot lately
A growling stomach is suppose to be because of thirst, apparently. Not the common thought of hunger.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:does anyone else have a thing with not eating for a while then their stomach starts to growl? been happening to kenny the kangaroo a lot lately
Some Facts on the Kangaroo Diet
Wild Kangaroos eat grass, broad-leaved ground plants, and shrubs.

Like other macropods (and other Australian animals that are herbivores like koalas), they are well adapted to deal with a diet that is high in fibre but low in nutrients.

Being grazing animals, they regurgitate their food to chew, just like cattle chew the cud.

The type of plants they eat is known to worn down their molars (back teeth) quite quickly.

Kangaroos do drink water, but they can go without it for quite a while – an adaptation to Australian dry inland where finding water can be unpredictable.

Living in captivity, they also eat other things like a piece of bread or a carrot, and in Australian wildlife parks you can buy a bag of kangaroo food and feed them.

It looks similar to the dry food you feed your dog, but it’s vegetarian.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

eat something ^
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

A few things that irritated me lately

People who pull all the way through the stop bar at either a stop sign or traffic light and end up in the crosswalk or they're pulled so far forward that it's difficult for traffic to get around them. This especialy annoys me when I ride my bike at South Park

When you're driving on a main road and a light changes, then no one turns off of the side street. WTH did it change in the first place if no one was turning.