George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by newarenanow »

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm about 360 pages into Clash of Kings. It pretty crazy how similar the first book was with the first season. It seems like they cut some things out of the second season.
Spoiler:
In the series, Sansa seems really dumb and lovestruck with Joffrey up until Margery comes. I don't know if it was bad acting but I never got the sense that she despised Joffrey. In the book, it's much clearer that she starts hating him after Ned is beheaded. Maybe I'm just forgetting bc I haven't watched the second season in a while.

Also, Theon betraying the Starks seems to come out of nowhere. In the book, you get little hints that he may not be totally trustworthy.
Spoiler:
I'm right around the same place as you in the books (I'm on page 345) in Clash of Kings. Any book that there is a show or movie, the book always has a lot more to it, which is why I like reading them. You get what in the characters head, you get more explanation, more story line. It's just that sometimes things don't come across on TV or there just isnt' time.

Theon's story line is a lot more in depth in the book like you said, and you see how it builds.

I agree with TWC though, even in the show, Sansa was just loving him over self preservation. After he took her out to see her dad's head on the spike, I think that is where she knew she had to "pretend" to love him in order to survive.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pucks_and_Pols »

newarenanow wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm about 360 pages into Clash of Kings. It pretty crazy how similar the first book was with the first season. It seems like they cut some things out of the second season.
Spoiler:
In the series, Sansa seems really dumb and lovestruck with Joffrey up until Margery comes. I don't know if it was bad acting but I never got the sense that she despised Joffrey. In the book, it's much clearer that she starts hating him after Ned is beheaded. Maybe I'm just forgetting bc I haven't watched the second season in a while.

Also, Theon betraying the Starks seems to come out of nowhere. In the book, you get little hints that he may not be totally trustworthy.
Spoiler:
I'm right around the same place as you in the books (I'm on page 345) in Clash of Kings. Any book that there is a show or movie, the book always has a lot more to it, which is why I like reading them. You get what in the characters head, you get more explanation, more story line. It's just that sometimes things don't come across on TV or there just isnt' time.

Theon's story line is a lot more in depth in the book like you said, and you see how it builds.

I agree with TWC though, even in the show, Sansa was just loving him over self preservation. After he took her out to see her dad's head on the spike, I think that is where she knew she had to "pretend" to love him in order to survive.
Spoiler:
What makes Sansa's character so compelling to me is how quickly she has to adapt to survive a very bad situation. Her sister Arya always had a rebellious nature, which makes it easier for her to hit the ground running when the *poop* hits the fan. Sansa had grown up content to be the perfect little princess, and only slowly comes to the realization that her flowery dreams of noble knights in shining armor are nothing by juvenile fairy tales and that in this cold hard world she lives in, she must develop a thick skin and quick head in playing her role to the utmost advantage. Ironically, it is characters she begins the books viewing as ghastly monsters (the Imp and the Hound) who come to her aide along the way, while the characters with a more pious facade she begins the books idolizing (Joffrey, Ser Loras, Cersei) disenchant, disappoint, and betray her. You see a lot of growth from her character as the books go on, she begins playing the courtly game not unlike you would imagine a young Cersei might if she had been placed in a similar scenario. You also get the subtlest of hints that Sansa, like Cersei, is not exactly 100% mentally stable and it has been hinted that even her 1st person narration may not all be a totally accurate reflection of reality within the storyline.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Spoiler:
Maybe it was simply bc we don't get what Sansa is thinking in her head on the show whereas we do in the book.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Yeah, one thing reading the books gives you that is hard to convey on screen often is what the characters are thinking. Great actors can sometimes do this without dialogue, but it's certainly a skill. I went back and re-watched Season 1 after reading the first book and it definitely impacts the way you view things... Often with discussing the show with my co-worker, I've found that things I never really gave a second thought to were unclear to him or didn't seem like they were in-character... but from reading the books, you get into the mind of most of these characters due to the POV style, so you know they do actually fit.

The more you read, the more it becomes amazing that they even attempted to take this story on given the breadth of the story they are working with. I just have a bad feeling that they are going to pass up Martin in the end and spoil the ending for us. No way is HBO going to do prequel seasons or wait around. He'd better move his ass.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:No way is HBO going to do prequel seasons
didnt they say that they would do that?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I don't remember seeing that anywhere. The most recent article I saw on the subject was the producer talking about how 7 seasons would be their "sweet spot" and their were concerns about the children aging going forward.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

canaan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:No way is HBO going to do prequel seasons
didnt they say that they would do that?
Martin has a development deal with HBO beyond GoT. It was rumored that he would be interested in making the Dunk and Egg novellas into a series.

[youtube][/youtube]

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/03/grrm- ... discussed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's looking to write 9-10 more Dunk and Egg novellas... :shock:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

PS - I've FINALLY got to watch the Red Wedding episode the other night, after about 2 months.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

How was the wedding?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Idoit40fans wrote:How was the wedding?
Very red.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/17/game- ... -sherlock/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So they cast someone for... They won't say. I can't think of any roles that would require any kind of secrecy...
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pucks_and_Pols »

I can think of one role they would need to keep secret, but its not untill book 5, unless they are going to start inserting some prelude to the character now for season 4.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Just finished the first Bran chapter in GoT. I've got some catching up to do.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Spoiler:
Don't get too attached to him running around. :pop:
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh I'm a show watcher, I get the jist of what's gonna happen. After the RW, I HAD to start reading so I could see the extra details in every storyline.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

GSdrums87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh I'm a show watcher, I get the jist of what's gonna happen. After the RW, I HAD to start reading so I could see the extra details in every storyline.
Thats where i'm at right now, i'm on a storm of swords. I just thought that would be a funny spoiler. Originally I was going to post that adn then add "does this need spoiler'd".
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
Thats where i'm at right now, i'm on a storm of swords. I just thought that would be a funny spoiler. Originally I was going to post that adn then add "does this need spoiler'd".
Haha it definitely made me hesitate clicking on it...
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

GSdrums87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
samesies
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Book Spoilers
Spoiler:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

[youtube][/youtube]
Spoiler:
Lots of people have died.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:I can think of one role they would need to keep secret, but its not untill book 5, unless they are going to start inserting some prelude to the character now for season 4.
Spoiler:
Not sure who would be the secret. He doesn't seem quite old enough to be Mace Tyrell, Randall Tarley, or Anyone else I can think of.

He's only 16 years older than Natalie Dormer and Mace is fat. He would have made a great Mance Rayder.

Euron Greyjoy could fit, he makes a small appearance in SoS, Victarion too. Maybe foreshadow Griff?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Yes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If I were Jaime, i'd rather have my hand.

Also, Jon is about to go over the wall in the libro.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PensFanInDC wrote:Image
Hahaha