LGP DIY House edition

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP DIY House edition

Post by eddysnake »

Fortress went very well, took a little longer than I expected, but I am very pleased with the result. Turned out so nice, I wanted to take a little time and research roofs more, rather than a tarp up top, I'm thinking about building a gabled roof and trying to find some scraps of tin.

Here is the end result:
Spoiler:
BEFORE
AFTER
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

looks great. congrats on your new deck!
i need to go get me some orange scoops, green things and golf clubs... my work isn't nearly precise enough without them.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

So, where exactly does the tennis ball cannon go?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

Ok this might be a stupid question but I will ask anyway.

On my back storm door there are two openings and right now they are both filled in with glass panels in frames that can be removed. What would I have to do to get at least one of them to contain a screen instead?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

ajh2298 wrote:Ok this might be a stupid question but I will ask anyway.

On my back storm door there are two openings and right now they are both filled in with glass panels in frames that can be removed. What would I have to do to get at least one of them to contain a screen instead?
Measure the panes, you should be able to buy a screen one the same size. If you can't find the right size at Home Depot or Lowes just look online.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Earlier in this thread, I posted a photo of the couple annoying, dying trees in our backyard. Before I get them removed, I want to clear the inordinate amount of brush that surrounds them, a good 10-15 feet deep. It's thick, filled with ticks, some poison stuff, and I just want it out of the yard.

Everything I've read says the best time to do this is the late fall and winter, which makes sense since the leaves will be off the poison ivy, the ticks won't be bad, etc. What is the best way to go about this? I think the ultimate goal is to cut everything down to the stumps and herbicide the crap out of the area, but not sure what my tool of choice would be. I have a large set of shears I could use.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Perhaps this?
Spoiler:
BTW, do those things actually work?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

It got decent reviews on Amazon, so maybe?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:Earlier in this thread, I posted a photo of the couple annoying, dying trees in our backyard. Before I get them removed, I want to clear the inordinate amount of brush that surrounds them, a good 10-15 feet deep. It's thick, filled with ticks, some poison stuff, and I just want it out of the yard.

Everything I've read says the best time to do this is the late fall and winter, which makes sense since the leaves will be off the poison ivy, the ticks won't be bad, etc. What is the best way to go about this? I think the ultimate goal is to cut everything down to the stumps and herbicide the crap out of the area, but not sure what my tool of choice would be. I have a large set of shears I could use.
controlled fire?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Heh, I've read that elsewhere, but not sure what the statutes are in PA, and with this tree it wouldn't be a good idea. It's a nearly dead poplar hybrid that would probably go up like a book of matches.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Do you have any friends with a brush hog?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:Do you have any friends with a brush hog?
too easy.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

mac5155 wrote:Do you have any friends with a brush hog?
that would be the way to go, should be able to rent one
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Some Home Depots have them available for rent.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Hmm, thanks. I think a Brush Hog Rental might be the way to go.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

Impact wrench vs. impact driver

So, as many of you know, I built a deck last year and used lag bolts to support the structure. At the time, Lowes ran out of bolts two shy of what I needed. In staining the deck this summer, I saw the missing bolts and realized I need to take care of them before I have issues with the pergola, which they support. The impact wrench I used last summer no longer is available to me, and I have had no luck finding anyone to lend me one. I'd prefer not to buy one, as they're pricey and not something I project to use frequently.

Enter Sears, and a Lithium Ion Drill and Driver combo pack sale via SlickDeals.net. I realize it doesn't include an impact wrench, but I'm wondering if, for my job -- which includes pre-drilled holes) the impact driver will be fine? I will have much more of a use for the Lithium Ion drill and driver than a wrench, especially if I can use the driver for small projects I normally would need a wrench for.

From my reading, I'm getting that this will be okay -- but none of the stuff I have read is specific to Lithium Ion technology (I'm assuming most were electric) or Craftsman. Can anyone offer some advise? Thanks!
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

an impact wrench just "turns" the nuts and bolts. An impact driver also applies downward force on the nuts/bolts to "Drive" them into the material. I think since you have predrilled holes, the driver is actually overkill, but will work just fine. you would use an impact driver for say, setting lag bolts into concrete.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

couldn't you just use regular wrenches if it's only 2 bolts? if they are large bolts i can't see a 12v impact getting the job done.
i'm a huge huge fan of impact drivers and recommend them to everyone, but there's a time and place for a 12v impact driver, and securing structural deck bolts isn't it
heck, i don't even think i'd use a 18v impact driver to do that, i'd want an impact wrench
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

impact drivers are awesome. go for it.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

mac5155 wrote:an impact wrench just "turns" the nuts and bolts. An impact driver also applies downward force on the nuts/bolts to "Drive" them into the material. I think since you have predrilled holes, the driver is actually overkill, but will work just fine. you would use an impact driver for say, setting lag bolts into concrete.
So, what you're saying is it will be fine? The reason for buying this when I won't buy a wrench is that this deal for two tools is less than the cost of most wrenches I've found. I will get much more use out of the lithium ion drill and driver combo than I would out of just a driver or just an impact wrench.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I have an asphalt driveway that needs to be re-sealed. Got a quote from a company for $200 to pressure wash the driveway, fix a few cracks, and seal it for $200. Take it or shop for more quotes?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

invest in a pressure washer for yourself and pay them just to fix the cracks and seal.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

hell, the cracks cant be that hard to fill, they make asphalt filler in a bottle. I'd def price out buying the pressure washer and doing it yourself, unless the driveway is some asinine length and width.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Yea, you could buy all the materials to do that for half the price and you'd have a pressure washer, which is more useful than people think.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

My driveway is fairly big (can fit 4 full size pickups in it +), and the guy who owned the house before me (we just bought this house in April) should have had it real sealed a few years ago and didnt, so it is pretty dry and is going to need a lot of sealer. I figured for $200 its worth not having to do it myself this time since its pretty bad (not in terms of cracks, just in terms of needing sealed) and next time do it myself.