LGP DIY House edition

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP DIY House edition

Post by eddysnake »

looks like the deck could use some work shafty, better get to work.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

eddysnake wrote:looks like the deck could use some work shafty, better get to work.
Oh yeah, that's on the short-term agenda. I think we are going to tear up the whole thing next spring and put it in a Trex deck. Sure, the initial investment will be higher, but so much easier to maintain.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

shafnutz05 wrote:So apparently the people that lived in our home before us planted these really lousy trees throughout the yard:

http://i.imgur.com/dfuZnKL.jpg

I guess they are some kind of crappy poplar hybrid that is designed to grow quickly, but also not hardy at all and destined to turn to crap within 10-15 years. As you can see, there are veritable jungles surrounding both of them. Not shown, several more of the same type of tree at the other corners of our 1/2 acre lot.

I'm afraid it's going to cost a pretty penny to get these things taken down, but they are an eyesore and ruin the yard, IMO. The good news is, none of them are in hard to reach areas.
From what I found, the difficulty / risk involved in getting a tree down drives up the price more than the size of the tree. If they can be dropped in your yard without much risk of taking anything out, it wont be as bad as you think.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Nice, I hope you are right.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

That is what a smaller tree company told me. The bigger the risk, the more liability for the company, so they charge you more because they have to carry the insurance to do that kind of job. Makes sense to me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

going to build a tower this weekend for the kids. I'm going to use the swing side of the current one as it's still good along with slide, ladder, swings, etc. Currently the old one is a little over 4x4 for the base. I'm either going for a 6x6 tower or 8x8. I figure the 6x6 would be roughly $280 while the 8x8 would be $335. My thoughts is go big which also saves a lot on cutting as most everything I'd get would already be 8', worth extra $50 for more space. I'd just attached the old swing side to the new one. Anyone see any issues with this?

basic design
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

heres my basic plan for the tower skeleton

4-4x4x8 posts, 2x6x8 base and floor supports, 2x4x8 top for railing-connect those to floor with 2x4s. roof is still a work in progress....
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

are you going to anchor that beast to the ground is some way? Or do you think the weight on it will suffice?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

meow wrote:are you going to anchor that beast to the ground is some way? Or do you think the weight on it will suffice?
wasn't planning on it, the one there which is half the size just sits with no problem at all, the ground is mostly flat, shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking 6" 5/16 bolts for the base as well.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

That roof seems to be a simple tarp contraption. Perhaps that is the easiest route? Take her down in the winter.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

meow wrote:are you going to anchor that beast to the ground is some way? Or do you think the weight on it will suffice?
hes making that thing pretty friggin sturdy. if anything he should support his house to it.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

eddyface, this is a kids play yard right? i mean you don't really have to build it like a deck do you? lol
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

canaan wrote:
hes making that thing pretty friggin sturdy. if anything he should support his house to it.
I would make refuge under the slide in the event of a hurricane/tornado/zombie outbreak.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

meow wrote:
canaan wrote:
I would make refuge under the slide in the event of a hurricane/tornado/zombie outbreak.
Well, the play set has just been named "Hurricane Breaker"
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Juice wrote:eddyface, this is a kids play yard right? i mean you don't really have to build it like a deck do you? lol
I have no idea what I'm doing, that seemed pretty basic yet sturdy, also if it's 8x8 I figured I could sit up there too. My wife just called and doesn't seem real happy about the 8x8 plan, says it's too big. Doesn't she know that 8x8 would save me hours of measuring and cutting, isn't that worth it in itself? The beer quality will have to go up if I'm required to do all this extra work.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

http://www.hot4cad.com/downloads/Wooden ... roject.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

that...is...awesome
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I looked at that one, but it was too small for my taste. I used a cross of that one and

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2011/07/ ... the-tower/ for my design.

went home over lunch, measured out the 6 (orange scoops) and 8 (green things and golf clubs) footer and explained how much storage room we'd have underneath

The 8 foot is a go. It will be glorious. Do you guys thing that 4- 4x4 posts will be enough support for 8 feet of essentially floating deck above? I'll probably put 3 or 4 floor joists down for the floor.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

im gonna have to go to lowes and get some more scoops, green things, and golf clubs to measure out stuff in my yard.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

4x4 posts should be enough. would you mind if i came over and parked my truck on it? it would be much easier to change my tires using this jack stand treehouse play yard.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

also, you should definitely hook a jortsline to it for those sunny summer days perfect for airing out the majestic threads
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

canaan wrote:im gonna have to go to lowes and get some more scoops, green things, and golf clubs to measure out stuff in my yard.
I've got 5 more years of fatherhood on you, you'll do it too, patience.

I'm thinking maybe the 4x4 should be 10 footers rather than 8, more ceiling height? As of now, the floor will be 54" off the ground and the top of the railing will be around 83". That would leave me around 5.5' of clearance before the roof.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Juice wrote:also, you should definitely hook a jortsline to it for those sunny summer days perfect for airing out the majestic threads
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't already thought about zip line to baby pool.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

wife keep saying it's going to look so big back there, I keep saying it's really not that much bigger. it is.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

at the rate you are going, you should just build a cabin, eddy