Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Mango Salsa »

shafnutz05 wrote:On the turnpike today...

"CRUISE CONTROL MOTHER **** DO YOU USE IT? "

Seriously, I love passing the same dirt bag 7 times because he doesn't know how to drive at a consistent speed. Are some people afraid to use it? I just don't understand.

Or the people that just ride the left lane, and when you finally lose patience and go to pass on the right, they ALWAYS speed up

Jump ahead to about 1:50 :thumb:

[youtube][/youtube]
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Hot enough for ya? :pop:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Hot enough for ya? :pop:
I got a new trick. I take off my shoes and socks, then put a fan on the floor to blow at my feet. It's the coolest thing ever.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

tomarrow :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

The price of beer in airport bars.
I'm sitting here on a three hour layover in Detroit and ordered a Fat Tire.

Guess the price?
Spoiler:
$10.60. Before any tip.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Just expense them. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:Just expense them. :pop:
Technically I'm not supposed to expense alcohol.
But whether its the company's money or mine, it still ticks me off. Cost them maybe $1.25 and there's no way there's $9 of overhead.
But you're a captive customer, like at a sporting event, and they know it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Thats not terrible considering it is a micro brew and you're at the airport where rent is garbage.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

It always seems like when I'm standing in line, whether there's 3 feet between me and the next person or 3 inches, people always want to squeeze through. Actually it seems like the closer of a gap, the more likely they are to walk through. And it's never somebody who is 5 foot nothing and 130 lbs. Oh no, it's usually somebody who has the build of a sumo wrestler with 6 equally wide sumo wrestler kids in their wake.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

At concerts...this is always happening to me. For some reason I always have a trail in front of me.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Hockeynut! wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:On the turnpike today...
"CRUISE CONTROL MOTHER **** DO YOU USE IT? "
Seriously, I love passing the same dirt bag 7 times because he doesn't know how to drive at a consistent speed. Are some people afraid to use it? I just don't understand.
I can totally relate to this. I love when I have cruise around 69 and some guy passes me, pulls in front of me, and then slows down to 65, forcing me to pass him, only to have him do it again, and again, and again. :face:
This, this, a thousand times this. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Back when I was commuting to work from Slippery Rock (and drove over 100 miles every workday) I was practically guaranteed to run into one of these persons on a daily basis. I would usually come up on someone with my cruise set at maybe 73 or so (my experience is that the police on that stretch of 79 won't even look at you twice for going less than 75). The person driving that car (let's call him MORON) is going slower than I am. I tap my turn signal for no less than 3 blinks and pull into the left lane to pass. Right around the time I draw abreast of his car, MORON speeds up and is now going faster than I am. MORON pulls ahead. I move back into the right lane. Usually within a minute, MORON will slow back down and is again going slower than I am. Rinse and repeat.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

That's a weird phenomenon. I've done that in the past to people trying to pass me on the right, but never in the left. I've never even seen someone do that.

My guess is that you guys were tailgating, and the dude in front of you went vigilante about it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shmenguin wrote:That's a weird phenomenon. I've done that in the past to people trying to pass me on the right, but never in the left. I've never even seen someone do that.

My guess is that you guys were tailgating, and the dude in front of you went vigilante about it.
This merely circles back to the cruise control thing. There are drivers that will vary their speeds from 65 to 80 mph and back repeatedly with no rhyme or reason. When you go to pass them, they decide they are ready to go fast again.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:That's a weird phenomenon. I've done that in the past to people trying to pass me on the right, but never in the left. I've never even seen someone do that.

This merely circles back to the cruise control thing. There are drivers that will vary their speeds from 65 to 80 mph and back repeatedly with no rhyme or reason. When you go to pass them, they decide they are ready to go fast again.
I try very hard not to tailgate, and I only pass on the right if I absolutely have no other choice. I believe passing on the right is a moving violation and a ticketable offense in PA, although I doubt the police actually issue many citations for doing it. I agree with shaf that there's a non-trivial cohort of drivers who are not very good at maintaining a consistent speed on the highway. Heck, I'm not so sure I'm good at it; that's why I use the cruise control.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I'm a territory rep over western pennsylvania, and I've seen plenty of people who are complete idiots on the road. What is the endgame of not letting someone pass? Is it to cause an accident?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Depending on what I think the average speed of the see-saw driver is, I will either slow down or speed up. Specifically, if I think they are wanting to go on average faster than me, I on many occasions have slowed down for a few miles so that I don't catch up to them at the low end of their see-saw throttle pattern. Conversely, if I'm going on average faster, I often have no choice but to speed up to 80 or even 90 mph to get far enough in front of them that they won't catch up to me at high end of the see-saw.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Passing on the right on a highway is legal in PA.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/vehi ... 4.000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

When a caption of a photo has the people's names out of order.
Spoiler:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

What a piece of **** that movie was.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

people bringing bikes onto subways
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Pretty irrational here... I use the inclines as part of my commute, and i hate tourists riding it like it's some kind of low rent rollercoaster. I'm trying to get to work!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Passing on the right on a highway is legal in PA.
http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/vehi ... 4.000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Odd. You are absolutely correct. I'm not sure why I thought it was illegal. I am of the understanding that passing on the passenger side of a car (I think it's called undertaking) is illegal in a number of European nations. I don't like the practice and try to avoid doing it.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Shyster wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Passing on the right on a highway is legal in PA.
Odd. You are absolutely correct. I'm not sure why I thought it was illegal. I am of the understanding that passing on the passenger side of a car (I think it's called undertaking) is illegal in a number of European nations. I don't like the practice and try to avoid doing it.
It may be legal, but PA definitely encourages you to pass on the left. The state even post signs when you cross the boarder into PA in certain places that say "Pass left". Not just the normal signs that say "Slower cars keep right".
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

They're trying to keep the slow pokes out of the left lane. Nothing enrages me more than a 3 lane highway with no one in the right lane, someone putzing along in the center lane, and 2-3 cars in the left lane slowly passing the car in the center lane. I have no problem passing all of them in the right lane.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

The trend on Facebook: "HEY, HERE ARE A PICTURE OF MY FEET, AND LOOK, THERE IS A BODY OF WATER BEHIND THEM!! AHHH, PARADISE."