Joe Morrow now a Bruin

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Joe Morrow now a Bruin

Post by Penspal »

Part of the Loui Ericsson - Seguin trade. Why do I think this is going to come back to haunt the Pens....
shootinthepuck

Re: Joe Morrow now a Bruin

Post by shootinthepuck »

Really respect the fact that Boston will make gutsy moves.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Penspal wrote:Why do I think this is going to come back to haunt the Pens....
I don't know. *shrug*
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I think it's just as likely that he busts than it is that he haunts the Pens. Between the fact that he was getting scratched in the AHL to completely rework his defensive game and now getting traded twice in a few month span doesn't really speak to him being a top prospect. Not to say he's definitely going to fail, I can see him having an NHL career but the Pens' willingness to trade him was a red flag for him. Shero generally knows when to sell high on a prospect.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Henry Hank wrote:I think it's just as likely that he busts than it is that he haunts the Pens. Between the fact that he was getting scratched in the AHL to completely rework his defensive game and now getting traded twice in a few month span doesn't really speak to him being a top prospect. Not to say he's definitely going to fail, I can see him having an NHL career but the Pens' willingness to trade him was a red flag for him. Shero generally knows when to sell high on a prospect.
I don't know, Shero had to move one of these defensive prospects in order to make a move. Joe Morrow was the closest to the NHL, and thus most likely to get held back in his development, while also being the most attractive to another team. Plus he's the most similar to what we already have in Letang and Despres, and therefor redundant and expendable.

Just because he was traded doesn't mean he's a bad player. Shero has more of a history of trading guys to give them an opportunity than he does of selling high on prospects he thinks will bust.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

pcm wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I think it's just as likely that he busts than it is that he haunts the Pens. Between the fact that he was getting scratched in the AHL to completely rework his defensive game and now getting traded twice in a few month span doesn't really speak to him being a top prospect. Not to say he's definitely going to fail, I can see him having an NHL career but the Pens' willingness to trade him was a red flag for him. Shero generally knows when to sell high on a prospect.
I don't know, Shero had to move one of these defensive prospects in order to make a move. Joe Morrow was the closest to the NHL, and thus most likely to get held back in his development, while also being the most attractive to another team. Plus he's the most similar to what we already have in Letang and Despres, and therefor redundant and expendable.

Just because he was traded doesn't mean he's a bad player. Shero has more of a history of trading guys to give them an opportunity than he does of selling high on prospects he thinks will bust.
Getting traded twice in four months as a prospect, especially from a team like Dallas to a team like Boston, is typically a bad sign.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

pensfan1989 wrote:
pcm wrote:

Getting traded twice in four months as a prospect, especially from a team like Dallas to a team like Boston, is typically a bad sign.
Unless he was needed to pry away a more pressing need that they filled with Seguin. I know we are hoping Morrow busts so we can feel better about the Morrow for Morrow trade, but if he was a red flag, why would Boston take him for 2 important pieces of their team?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I won't lie. It's going to sting if he turns out good.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I don't think Shero trades J Morrow for two months of B Morrow if he feels strongly that he's going to develop as hoped. J Morrow's stock has dropped. Regardless of what Shero will say about him publicly, I think he was willing to trade him because he knows that there's a pretty good chance that he is selling high on him. Same with when they traded Esposito.

I think in today's NHL it's always a red flag when a prospect is traded. The truly good ones just don't get traded much. They certainly don't tend get traded to rent a third line player. And then get shipped off as part of a big trade package shortly after.

Morrow may very well get his game together but I wouldn't waste time worrying about how he might come back to bite the Pens. The odds are against that happening.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Joe Morrow is Ross Lupaschuk.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

pcm wrote: Just because he was traded doesn't mean he's a bad player. Shero has more of a history of trading guys to give them an opportunity than he does of selling high on prospects he thinks will bust.
RS has quite a history of trading prospects away that turn into nothing elsewhere. Whether that's coincidence, giving the player an opportunity elsewhere, or that he truly thinks the guy will bomb, no one but RS knows and he sure isn't talking. When you are moving guys like Esposito, Noah Welch, Caputi, Tangradi, etc. and they fail miserably elsewhere, don't think if I'm a NHL GM I want anything to do with what prospects RS is trying to sell.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Joe Morrow is Ross Lupaschuk.
Rick Berry.

Remember when everyone lost their minds when we lost him on waivers?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I won't get too much satisfaction out of seeing Morrow become a bust.
It will just leave me wondering why the **** they drafted him in the first place.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

columbia wrote:I won't get too much satisfaction out of seeing Morrow become a bust.
It will just leave me wondering why the **** they drafted him in the first place.
I remember him looking great in the '11-'12 preseason. There was even talk of him cracking the lineup.

For some reason he just fell off. He was a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs for the Texas Stars...
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

I find it hilarious that people laud our drafting strategy and then think it must be that he sucks because Morrow was traded twice.

If PMD are in demand, this is a perfectly reasonable trade for a 21 year old center with potential and signed for a reasonable contract for a bunch of years.

Despres was scratched in WBS this year. PMDs develop slow in the defensive zone. He is no less a prospect than Despres.

Morrow may still end up a bust but if this boards thoughts on our strategy are true and this is how you get young skilled forwards then its really a non issue.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I find it hilarious that people laud our drafting strategy and then think it must be that he sucks because Morrow was traded twice.

If PMD are in demand, this is a perfectly reasonable trade for a 21 year old center with potential and signed for a reasonable contract for a bunch of years.

Despres was scratched in WBS this year. PMDs develop slow in the defensive zone. He is no less a prospect than Despres.

Morrow may still end up a bust but if this boards thoughts on our strategy are true and this is how you get young skilled forwards then its really a non issue.
No one is openly saying "Joe Morrow sucks". That would be an unintelligent statement, as the guy hasn't had much time to prove himself. We're just stating the facts of what's been released. When he was dealt, it was mentioned that the Pens felt that he hadn't been progressing. On top of that, he was scratched in a playoff game at the AHL level.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

topshelf wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I find it hilarious that people laud our drafting strategy and then think it must be that he sucks because Morrow was traded twice.

No one is openly saying "Joe Morrow sucks". That would be an unintelligent statement, as the guy hasn't had much time to prove himself. We're just stating the facts of what's been released. When he was dealt, it was mentioned that the Pens felt that he hadn't been progressing. On top of that, he was scratched in a playoff game at the AHL level.
Are you purposely trolling me today in every thread and taking everything I say as I direct response to your thoughts and therefore out of context of what I mean?

I was speaking in general of this thread - he was compared to an ex pen prospect who never made it. In other words he is not very good, he stinks. It was stated.

He was just involved in a trade for a 21 year old, center, 2nd overall pick with a reasonable contract and loads of potential. Everyone agrees that PMD are of high value, and that they take long develop. The fact he was traded twice was circumstance.

Yes, he may have fallen out of favor a bit here but he wouldnt have been traded if we didnt have other similar players. yes he was scratchedin the AHL (as we're Despres and Doumlin), yes he struggles in his own zone (as does about 8/10th of the last 20 years Norris candidates). But he was traded because he has talent and potential at a hard to find position for a quality potential star, not because the Stars got him and said "wow, he stinks hope someone out there doesn't it realize it yet".

That's our entire plan isn't it?
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
topshelf wrote:

Are you purposely trolling me today in every thread and taking everything I say as I direct response to your thoughts and therefore out of context of what I mean?

I was speaking in general of this thread - he was compared to an ex pen prospect who never made it. In other words he is not very good, he stinks. It was stated.

He was just involved in a trade for a 21 year old, center, 2nd overall pick with a reasonable contract and loads of potential. Everyone agrees that PMD are of high value, and that they take long develop. The fact he was traded twice was circumstance.

Yes, he may have fallen out of favor a bit here but he wouldnt have been traded if we didnt have other similar players. yes he was scratchedin the AHL (as we're Despres and Doumlin), yes he struggles in his own zone (as does about 8/10th of the last 20 years Norris candidates). But he was traded because he has talent and potential at a hard to find position for a quality potential star, not because the Stars got him and said "wow, he stinks hope someone out there doesn't it realize it yet".

LOL... take it easy man. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean I'm trolling you.

I am a huge fan of Shero's drafting method and I believe getting stud defensemen and then either developing them or trading them is a good method. We're defensively stacked for years to come.

I'm just stating what was mentioned about him in the media and him getting scratched. No one knows how the kid will develop.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

topshelf wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
topshelf wrote:

LOL... take it easy man. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean I'm trolling you.

I am a huge fan of Shero's drafting method and I believe getting stud defensemen and then either developing them or trading them is a good method. We're defensively stacked for years to come.

I'm just stating what was mentioned about him in the media and him getting scratched. No one knows how the kid will develop.
I was half joking, my fault. I was just referring to other posts on here where it specifically stated they think these trades went through somehow because he basically stinks. When other than maybe falling behind on our depth chart of similar players he was actually part of important deals he wasn't just dumped off.

I agree with Shero's plan long term. My concern is that it's aiding in costing us some of our cores prime years based on a few factors. But either way Morrow trades are a more validation of what everyone is saying when defending Shero so I find it ironic.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Red flag one is that he was not just getting scratched but they were said to be completely reworking his defensive game. Players aren't always going to turn pro and not hit any bumps but that's a pretty sizable bump. Red flag two is that he's traded, obviously getting traded means that he has value but again teams typically don't just trade top prospects anymore, top prospects tend to get to the NHL quickly and give teams a few years of good, cheap production. That's so valuable in the salary cap era that you don't trade a great prospect lightly. Shero trading him tells me they have some doubt about what he's going to develop into and think it's worth the risk to give him up now while he has value still. He's generally dealt the prospects that bust and has hung on to the good ones. Red flag three is getting traded again. It does mean that he still has value that he's part of a package to get a guy like Seguin but Eriksson is currently the best player involved in the deal for either team, Morrow is just one additional piece to complete the overall package. Getting traded for a third line rental and being a secondary part of a bigger package doesn't speak a lot good about his status.

None of that means he sucks or isn't a prospect or has no chance of succeeding. I do think the most likely outcome is that he busts, number one because he's a prospect and that's probably always the most likely outcome of someone drafted where he was, number two because he's had big problems adjusting to the pro game. I think the odds are starting to stack against him making it, certainly against him being a star. Still he can certainly develop into a regular NHL player, perhaps even a good one. The door isn't closed on that but I'd say his stock has dropped since he was drafted.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

topshelf wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Joe Morrow is Ross Lupaschuk.
Rick Berry.

Remember when everyone lost their minds when we lost him on waivers?
That was hilarious, but my reference was more about style of play. Lupaschuk could never be trusted in the defensive zone. His offensive talent could never overcome his defensive deficiencies.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

Apparently, the new Dallas regime "was not as committed to the direction" taken by former GM. Not saying J Morrow bad, in fact Boston wanted him. Boston seem to be able to turn Dmen into something more than others thought (Chara, Siedenberg, Ference, Boychuk?). I had a good feeling about J Morrow, and now that he's on Boston, that's where my hockey gods are going to make you pay feeling comes from