Around the League: Transactions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Post by Gaucho »

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 58s
Seguin and Peverley for sure going to Stars.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Seguin/Peverly ++ for Eriksson/Morrow? Meh. Stars must be really high on Seguin.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m
Seguin, Peverly and Button to Stars. For Eriksson, J.Morrow R.Smith and Matt Fraser.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Seguin/Peverly ++ for Eriksson/Morrow? Meh. Stars must be really high on Seguin.
Yeah, I can't believe Dallas is willing to take Peverly's contract. He's not horrible, but makes too much for a bottom-6 guy. As mikey hinted, there must be something really wrong with Seguin for Boston to want to unload him. Teams don't usually move young, top draft picks, who are producing ~.75 points/game and are locked up to pretty reasonable deals. That would me especially wary as a buyer.

It sucks for the Pens with Boston opening up cap space.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Nice job by Dallas here, really good job by both teams. Dallas has an organizational lack of centers all the way through. Peverley could be their 2nd line center, he could be 3rd line, he can play wing, he's really versatile, money isn't an issue for them anymore, they needed a quality NHLer and they got one with a winning pedigree. Tyler Seguin is their new first line center, young and talented and already locked up. Button is just another skilled d-man that they've added to go along with guys like Kevin Connauton and Joe Morrow recently...

Tough to give up a fan favorite and habitually underrated winger Loui Eriksson, but the Stars have a really terrific group of prospect wingers on the way, really good. And they even shaved off two of them here in Matt Fraser - a hired gun, really good shot, not a lot else to his game. Well, he's pretty physical, but it's hard to say if the goal scoring will translate to the NHL. Depends on the situation. Reilly Smith, like Tomas Vincour before him (Colorado, now KHL) was floundering a bit...couldn't quite find his game at the NHL level. And then Morrow getting moved twice in a few months after being a first round pick is not a ringing endorsement...granted, it was previous management that acquired him, but still, that's not usual a good sign for a player...Morrow, IIRC, was scratched in Texas' (AHL) last playoff game...that's been a kiss of death over the last few years in Dallas, as I recall...
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Not sure it's a good sign Morrow has been traded twice. I dunno.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

largegarlic wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Seguin/Peverly ++ for Eriksson/Morrow? Meh. Stars must be really high on Seguin.
Yeah, I can't believe Dallas is willing to take Peverly's contract. He's not horrible, but makes too much for a bottom-6 guy. As mikey hinted, there must be something really wrong with Seguin for Boston to want to unload him. Teams don't usually move young, top draft picks, who are producing ~.75 points/game and are locked up to pretty reasonable deals. That would me especially wary as a buyer.

It sucks for the Pens with Boston opening up cap space.

They need cap space to sign Rask to around 7.5 mill per year.

They have 0 dollars invested into goalies at the moment.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Morrow traded again?
That makes you wonder.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Well, Boston just gutted its 3rd line. But I gotta say I like this for Boston, a lot. Eriksson is underrated, signed to a great contract. He'll replace Horton.

Dallas gets its top center, though not without question marks in Seguin. I don't think he's a winner, and not who I'd want leading the way... but Dallas is gonna be in rebuild for a few years.

Still maintain the Joe Morrow is going to be a stud in this league. Having some development issues for sure. But once he grows up a little I think he'll be a winner.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

columbia wrote:Morrow traded again?
That makes you wonder.
They knew that if they kept him, the Penguin/Dallas trade curse would kick in. Brendan Morrow would sign with Pittsburgh for 2 years and become a 60+ point producer and look like he's 28 again. They couldn't bear to see that happen, so dealing Joe Morrow had to be done.

Also, they are avoiding the situation of having a defenseman nicknamed Gogo and another named JoMo. They all agreed that would just be silly.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

People that are noting it's weird that Joe Morrow has been given up on by two organizations in a short amount of time are on to something...never a good sign.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

GMRS usually seems to have a pretty good idea of who he can afford to let go (or maybe even who he should get rid of). Maybe he knew he didn't give up as much as people thought he did when he traded Morrow for Morrow.

Pure speculaton, of course.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Gaucho wrote:GMRS usually seems to have a pretty good idea of who he can afford to let go (or maybe even who he should get rid of). Maybe he knew he didn't give up as much as people thought he did when he traded Morrow for Morrow.

I remember someone who follows the Baby Pens saying this back when the trade was made - that Morrow was really struggling and that he had dropped significantly on the Pen's depth chart.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

As I tweeted earlier (in French)...the Canadiens have signed Daniel Briere. I believe it will be 2 years, $8 million. We shall see. Expect a formal announcement tomorrow early afternoon.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

pcm wrote:Well, Boston just gutted its 3rd line. But I gotta say I like this for Boston, a lot. Eriksson is underrated, signed to a great contract. He'll replace Horton.

Dallas gets its top center, though not without question marks in Seguin. I don't think he's a winner, and not who I'd want leading the way... but Dallas is gonna be in rebuild for a few years.

Still maintain the Joe Morrow is going to be a stud in this league. Having some development issues for sure. But once he grows up a little I think he'll be a winner.
Dallas got its 2nd line center I think you mean. Benn is their #1
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Benn will be moved back to wing, his natural position, where he belongs...
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

I'm not getting how Boston made out in this deal. Not a big fan of Eriksson at all to be quite honest.

I really like Tyler Seguin. I think at his age he's only going to get much, much better.

I think Dallas made out in this deal big time!
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Gaucho wrote:GMRS usually seems to have a pretty good idea of who he can afford to let go (or maybe even who he should get rid of). Maybe he knew he didn't give up as much as people thought he did when he traded Morrow for Morrow.

I think this is right. Can anyone think of an example of a prospect he moved in a trade who went on to be a very successful NHLer? I'm not counting guys he just didn't re-sign (e.g. Moulson) or fringe NHLers (e.g. Carcillo). The Pens might have problems with their scouting leading into the draft, but it seems like they do a pretty good job assessing the prospects they actually get into the system.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

mikey287 wrote:As I tweeted earlier (in French)...the Canadiens have signed Daniel Briere. I believe it will be 2 years, $8 million. We shall see. Expect a formal announcement tomorrow early afternoon.
An upgrade, but I do find it funny that they shed Gomez and pick up Briere. Gotta love a team obsessed with dwarfism.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I get Erickson replacing Horton but how are they replacing Seguin and Peverly now?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

largegarlic wrote:

I think this is right. Can anyone think of an example of a prospect he moved in a trade who went on to be a very successful NHLer? I'm not counting guys he just didn't re-sign (e.g. Moulson) or fringe NHLers (e.g. Carcillo). The Pens might have problems with their scouting leading into the draft, but it seems like they do a pretty good job assessing the prospects they actually get into the system.
Well Shero hasn't been around long enough to really say (small sample size). Esposito is the classic case of a prospect smartly moved... But Lovejoy and Letestu have both gone on to fill solid roles in the NHL. The case is still out on Tangradi (despite what 99% of LGP'ers say).
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

@Russostrib 14m
Two-year, $3 million deal for Keith Ballard with #mnwild
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

mikey287 wrote:As I tweeted earlier (in French)...the Canadiens have signed Daniel Briere. I believe it will be 2 years, $8 million. We shall see. Expect a formal announcement tomorrow early afternoon.
Wow....can MTL get any smaller? MT will be saying "pfffttt" a lot this year with another collection of real smurfs. I question this signing for them and their team as it is now composed.

MTL doesn't need a "name player" to fill up their building but this looks like after GM Bergevin lost in the VL sweepstakes, he was going to get a name. 2 years/8mil is a real gamble with Brier's declining production and health history too.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Good trade for both teams. Eriksson is real underrated and Seguin could turn out to be a stud in Dallas.

And Morrow being moved again is really telling. If the Stars gave up on him that quickly something is wrong.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Sounds like Horcoff is going to Dallas.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 12m
Sounds like DAL and EDM still finalizing Horcoff deal and as @DarrenDreger reports, more than one piece is involved.