Long Term Contracts

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Long Term Contracts

Post by Beveridge »

Didn't know where to put this so new thread!

Pretty funny read.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... ood-idea-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What were they thinking?: “We’re the Flyers and this is a decision involving goaltending so WHEEEE!”
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Long Term Contracts

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'm not sure what cap circumvention means to them. If the player is going to play out the whole contract, its not cap circumvention. They think Hossa, Keith, Crosby, Zetterberg, Weber are going to get bought out? Stop giving your opinion to people.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Cap Circumvention, to most I think and in the case of this writer, would be if the deal is structured in such a way to bring the cap hit down by longer years and front loading a contract.

I would consider any contract where the AAV differs by quite a bit from year to year salary as circumvention.

If the NHL didn't think these were circumvention they would have never put in the recapture rule.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Posted this in PR thread...

The Flyers have signed 6 players to 61 years for $374.5 million since 2007. None of them will be playing for them next season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Beveridge wrote:Cap Circumvention, to most I think and in the case of this writer, would be if the deal is structured in such a way to bring the cap hit down by longer years and front loading a contract.

I would consider any contract where the AAV differs by quite a bit from year to year salary as circumvention.

If the NHL didn't think these were circumvention they would have never put in the recapture rule.
Which is exactly why i cited specific contracts that were very clearly not cap circumvention...the ones that the NHL didn't even look at because they ended well within a reasonable playing career of a star player.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

GSdrums87 wrote:The Flyers have signed 6 players to 61 years for $374.5 million since 2007. None of them will be playing for them next season.
That is an amazing stat. Wow.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Sounds like most of them weren't unmanageable since other teams were willing to take 4 of them. :pop: