LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by PensFanInDC »

Possible breakthrough in Fibromyalgia research.

http://americannewsreport.com/nationalp ... 20525.html
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/29/44774 ... e-fracture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is pretty cool
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Memorial to be held for 50,000 dead bees
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Memorial- ... 37921.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

http://www.space.com/22002-comet-ison-t ... flyby.html
If the icy dust ball doesn't get ripped apart by extreme solar forces, some astronomers have said it could be the "comet of the century," possibly shining brightly enough to be seen during the daytime.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

This is a cool story. She found them on google earth, scientists all laughed, now they may be bigger than the giza pyramids.
Mysterious, pyramid-like structures spotted in the Egyptian desert by an amateur satellite archaeologist might be long-lost pyramids after all, according to a new investigation into the enigmatic mounds.

Angela Micol, who last year found the structures using Google Earth 5,000 miles away in North Carolina, says puzzling features have been uncovered during a preliminary ground proofing expedition, revealing cavities and shafts.

"After the buzz simmered down, I was contacted by an Egyptian couple who claimed to have important historical references for both sites," Micol said.

The couple, Medhat Kamal El-Kady, former ambassador to the Sultanate of Oman, and his wife Haidy Farouk Abdel-Hamid, a lawyer, former counselor at the Egyptian presidency and adviser of border issues and international issues of sovereignty, are top collectors of maps, old documents, books and rare political and historical manuscripts.

For the site near the Fayum, they cited three maps in particular -- a map by Robert de Vaugoudy, dating from 1753, a rare map by the engineers of Napoleon Bonaparte, and a map and documents by Major Brown, general of irrigation for Lower Egypt in the late 1880s.
http://news.discovery.com/history/archa ... 130715.htm
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

PensFanInDC wrote:http://www.space.com/22002-comet-ison-t ... flyby.html
If the icy dust ball doesn't get ripped apart by extreme solar forces, some astronomers have said it could be the "comet of the century," possibly shining brightly enough to be seen during the daytime.

I can't wait for this.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Psychopathic criminals have empathy switch
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23431793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think I'm a psychopath....
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

eddysnake wrote:This is a cool story. She found them on google earth, scientists all laughed, now they may be bigger than the giza pyramids.
Mysterious, pyramid-like structures spotted in the Egyptian desert by an amateur satellite archaeologist might be long-lost pyramids after all, according to a new investigation into the enigmatic mounds.

Angela Micol, who last year found the structures using Google Earth 5,000 miles away in North Carolina, says puzzling features have been uncovered during a preliminary ground proofing expedition, revealing cavities and shafts.

"After the buzz simmered down, I was contacted by an Egyptian couple who claimed to have important historical references for both sites," Micol said.

The couple, Medhat Kamal El-Kady, former ambassador to the Sultanate of Oman, and his wife Haidy Farouk Abdel-Hamid, a lawyer, former counselor at the Egyptian presidency and adviser of border issues and international issues of sovereignty, are top collectors of maps, old documents, books and rare political and historical manuscripts.

For the site near the Fayum, they cited three maps in particular -- a map by Robert de Vaugoudy, dating from 1753, a rare map by the engineers of Napoleon Bonaparte, and a map and documents by Major Brown, general of irrigation for Lower Egypt in the late 1880s.
Aliens
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

Scientists Reprogram Adult Cells to a Pluripotent State
http://www.lifenews.com/2013/07/24/scie ... ent-state/
This is big news in the stem cell arena.

Scientists from China have reprogrammed adult mouse cells to a pluripotent state with a few chemicals. Previously, researchers used genes inserted into the cells by an engineered virus which raised concerns about the safety of the technique for use in treating patients. But now these small molecules can cross the cell membrane without the aid of a virus and can reprogram the cell without the insertion of genes. The Scientist has the details:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

eddysnake wrote:This is a cool story. She found them on google earth, scientists all laughed, now they may be bigger than the giza pyramids.

That is super cool. I'm surprised that the Google founders aren't ponying up some money for an expedition. That would be huge PR haha.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

MIT scientists plant false memory in mouse’s mind
http://www.boston.com/news/science/blog ... /blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

A star is born. No, really, a star is born!

http://www.space.com/22434-stunning-bab ... scope.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

In Completely Unforeseeable Coincidence, Anti-Vaccine Church Hit By Measles Outbreak
Kenneth Copeland, is not a fan of vaccines, instead urging his flock to “teach our children to eat right” as part of “God’s health and wellness plan.” (And yes, in that video, Copeland promotes the completely discredited notion that vaccines cause autism.)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

The title of that article is fantastic.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-behavior" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Across all these different measures, the researchers found consistent results. Simply being primed with science-related thoughts increased a) adherence to moral norms, b) real-life future altruistic intentions, and c) altruistic behavior towards an anonymous other. The conceptual association between science and morality appears strong.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

I can get behind this.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Man...the marine biologist at my church must be super moral then....
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

interesting... i reread the article and it didn't mention church a single time.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

count2infinity wrote:interesting... i reread the article and it didn't mention church a single time.
I was commenting that, if those with "science-related thoughts" tend to have an "...adherence to moral norms" then my friend should be super moral given that he has both Christ-like thoughts and actions as well as science-related thoughts.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Man...the marine biologist at my church must be super moral then....
I TELL YOU HE WAS 10 STORIES HIGH IF HE WAS A FOOT!!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

PensFanInDC wrote:
count2infinity wrote:interesting... i reread the article and it didn't mention church a single time.
I was commenting that, if those with "science-related thoughts" tend to have an "...adherence to moral norms" then my friend should be super moral given that he has both Christ-like thoughts and actions as well as science-related thoughts.
every experiment has their outliers...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shafnutz05 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Man...the marine biologist at my church must be super moral then....
I TELL YOU HE WAS 10 STORIES HIGH IF HE WAS A FOOT!!
lol. He works for NOAA and studies migration patterns of Carribean sea life. He basically scuba dives for a living....
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

count2infinity wrote:every experiment has their outliers...
Indeed. I have a B.S. in biology and I generally don’t give a crap about other people. It certainly didn’t increase my sense of altruism.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

First Genetic Evidence That Humans Choose Friends With Similar DNA
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;