Franchise Hockey Manager (PC/MAC) - Open Beta

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Brugrabud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Franchise Hockey Manager (PC/MAC) - Open Beta

Post by Brugrabud »

For those of you that want to be the "GM, Coach" and/or have enjoyed games like Hockey League Manager (90's), Eastside Hockey Manager (2000's), and GM mode in the NHL console games this is for you.

Personally these kind of simulators are addicting for me, and I just found this one to feed my fix as the console GM modes are terrible.

This is an "Open Beta" so you can play it, find the bugs and report them, and make suggestions to make the game better and more realistic.

Also you can help rate players/staff, correct errors, ect.. in the forums.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/f ... scussions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (download links are in there)

Report Data issues here (Player positions, ratings, stats, history.. along with Staff ratings, history, postions, ect..)
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/f ... ta-issues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Report Game bugs, suggestions, ect.. here

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/f ... g-reports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The game goes live in September 2013.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager (PC/MAC) - Open Beta

Post by Puffymuffin »

Is the like the Championship Manager / Football Manager series for soccer? I play those religiously since about 1994 :P
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

You should post this in the NHR vidya game thread. I will definitely check it out.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Eastside Hockey Manager 2005 ruined my life (and the final year of my studies) back in 05. 07 was even better, but the series died. This looks very similar, and I'm dreading it. Considering just staying away.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

tried to play but I don't have a key.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I bought into the beta, but the game kind of sucks right now. There is no trading engine implemented yet which kind of kills it right now, but there is still about 2 months until release.

The bigger worry though is that the sliders are poo-poo. You cannot pick something basic like the type of forecheck or defensive zone system, just man or zone, with a bunch of sliders like aggression and what not. And the game coaching is terrible. You only see where the shots come from, not the players moving around so you cannot tell if your breakout is working or how your team is playing other than the box score. You also cannot hire a head coach, just assistants and scouts.

I'm kind of disappointed, because their baseball management sim game is regarded as excellent, and indeed I grabbed the iOS version (iOOTP) and it is really good. Hopefully they have a bunch of tricks up their sleeve before release. But as of right now I don't recommend this game, even with the $10 off you get if you purchase it early.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Care to give a brief review with any major criticisms on the baseball game, APK? I have been wanting a baseball sim for a couple years now. The Show is pretty bad for simming/GM Mode.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Kraftster wrote:Care to give a brief review with any major criticisms on the baseball game, APK? I have been wanting a baseball sim for a couple years now. The Show is pretty bad for simming/GM Mode.
Out of the Park 8 (2007) is free if you want to give it a go.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

AlexPKeaton wrote:I bought into the beta, but the game kind of sucks right now. There is no trading engine implemented yet which kind of kills it right now, but there is still about 2 months until release.

The bigger worry though is that the sliders are poo-poo. You cannot pick something basic like the type of forecheck or defensive zone system, just man or zone, with a bunch of sliders like aggression and what not. And the game coaching is terrible. You only see where the shots come from, not the players moving around so you cannot tell if your breakout is working or how your team is playing other than the box score. You also cannot hire a head coach, just assistants and scouts.

I'm kind of disappointed, because their baseball management sim game is regarded as excellent, and indeed I grabbed the iOS version (iOOTP) and it is really good. Hopefully they have a bunch of tricks up their sleeve before release. But as of right now I don't recommend this game, even with the $10 off you get if you purchase it early.
Its much much much better than it was.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Kraftster wrote:Care to give a brief review with any major criticisms on the baseball game, APK? I have been wanting a baseball sim for a couple years now. The Show is pretty bad for simming/GM Mode.
There are some youtube reviews of the desktop version. I don't own it *yet*, I might get itchy and pull the trigger soon. The iOS version for $5 is a blast, but the rosters are a year old on the iOS one. It is much lighter than the desktop one obviously, but very deep compared to the typical iOS garbage.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Must. Stay. Away.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I bought their baseball game last night, and it is extraordinarily good. If the hockey version turns out like this, it will destroy East Side Hockey manager. Might take them a couple iterations to get it as good as their baseball sim. Although in baseball, the management part of the game is really fun, since picking pitchers and picking whether to pitch around or steal a base has a more direct impact on the game than say, just adjusting some aggression slider like in hockey. That is why they need to beef up the coaching part of their hockey game and allow for the choosing of systems like breakout and neutral zone D.

Edit: Also the way they handle scouting is much more pro in the baseball sim. You just hire/fire a head scout, give him a budget, and allocate how much of the budget should be spent on scouting the majors, minors, amateur, and international. That is simpler and more elegant than both East Side Hockey manager and their hockey version at this time.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

The game is a little rough still (as would any beta be) but this game has more upside than Eastside (a game that I've spent more time playing than possibly any game ever besides Tecmo Super Bowl for NES, and even now it's getting close, as I'm still an EHM player and so is my roommate as a result).

It's not EHM quality yet, but it's getting there. I've been in on the project since nearly the very beginning, the game was much rougher than it is now. The finer details are to be implemented later in the summer. Then, of course, there will be some bugs, and then the updated release will fix all that and include online play and we should be off and running.

I had been summoned to head up the NHL research side of things, I also was involved in the attribute selection, how the leagues are ranked relatively on a worldwide scale (with some help from many Euros, of course) and will be very involved in the scouting and tactical details - two of my favorite parts of the game, of course.

I'd encourage any hockey enthusiast to keep this on their shortlist and monitor its progress. You are going to buy it anyway, so you can get it now at a discount or wait and pay more for it later, whichever you prefer ;)
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Can you give those devs some advice on how to beef up the coaching? I think I read on the forums that they are going to have a game view overhaul, which is definitely sorely needed because right now I cannot tell what is going on the game other than the boxscore stuff. But they need to implement hockey related systems like 1-2-2 et. al. instead of just having those meters which are too abstract in hockey terms. I don't see any mention of this on the forums, but to me this is not a hockey game if you don't have hockey systems.

My other sort of criticism is the scouting. I realize that it is a lot like EHM, but I actually think the way OOTP 14 does it is far superior and actually much simpler. I think my biggest issue is that, as a fan of the NHL but not a super fan of all the leagues, I have no idea what all of these leagues are and which ones I should be scouting. I think as a GM, it is more realistic to set a budget and have your scouts figure this out for you.

But that is my only real criticism of the game now that I have had more time with it. The AI definitely needs work but that is definitely coming. I don't care about mistakes in the player ratings because the game ships with an editor and you can just fix that.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Can you give those devs some advice on how to beef up the coaching? I think I read on the forums that they are going to have a game view overhaul, which is definitely sorely needed because right now I cannot tell what is going on the game other than the boxscore stuff. But they need to implement hockey related systems like 1-2-2 et. al. instead of just having those meters which are too abstract in hockey terms. I don't see any mention of this on the forums, but to me this is not a hockey game if you don't have hockey systems.

My other sort of criticism is the scouting. I realize that it is a lot like EHM, but I actually think the way OOTP 14 does it is far superior and actually much simpler. I think my biggest issue is that, as a fan of the NHL but not a super fan of all the leagues, I have no idea what all of these leagues are and which ones I should be scouting. I think as a GM, it is more realistic to set a budget and have your scouts figure this out for you.

But that is my only real criticism of the game now that I have had more time with it. The AI definitely needs work but that is definitely coming. I don't care about mistakes in the player ratings because the game ships with an editor and you can just fix that.
I thought I saw that coaching was going to be one of the later things they worked on. I just want the ability to hire a head coach. I like player management and doing contract negotiations and being concerned with how the team is molded rather than how the team plays day to day. I was playing the other day and was trying to hire a head coach and it wouldn't let me. That was one of my favorite things of EHM where getting a coach and trying to get the players that would thrive in his system. The damage that is done from a situation like parting ways with a coach is always interesting is a dynamic I wish FHM had right now.

I really like your scouting idea. I agree that scouting is slightly confusing and I never know if its being effective or not.

I am excited for the potential of the game with the historical leagues and the present day, there is so much that will be available and that is exciting. Give the game more polish after smoothing out the rough edges and this definitely could be a really good game.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

mikey287 wrote:The game is a little rough still (as would any beta be) but this game has more upside than Eastside (a game that I've spent more time playing than possibly any game ever besides Tecmo Super Bowl for NES, and even now it's getting close, as I'm still an EHM player and so is my roommate as a result).

It's not EHM quality yet, but it's getting there. I've been in on the project since nearly the very beginning, the game was much rougher than it is now. The finer details are to be implemented later in the summer. Then, of course, there will be some bugs, and then the updated release will fix all that and include online play and we should be off and running.

I had been summoned to head up the NHL research side of things, I also was involved in the attribute selection, how the leagues are ranked relatively on a worldwide scale (with some help from many Euros, of course) and will be very involved in the scouting and tactical details - two of my favorite parts of the game, of course.

I'd encourage any hockey enthusiast to keep this on their shortlist and monitor its progress. You are going to buy it anyway, so you can get it now at a discount or wait and pay more for it later, whichever you prefer ;)
Have you played their baseball simulator? How close will that game compare to the hockey manager?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Crankshaft wrote:
mikey287 wrote:The game is a little rough still (as would any beta be) but this game has more upside than Eastside (a game that I've spent more time playing than possibly any game ever besides Tecmo Super Bowl for NES, and even now it's getting close, as I'm still an EHM player and so is my roommate as a result).

Have you played their baseball simulator? How close will that game compare to the hockey manager?
Their baseball sim is amazing. I recommend it to anyone who likes management sims even if they don't particularly care for baseball. I haven't watched a complete MLB game in years and I'm hopelessly addicted to this game.

They likely won't hit this level of polish with their first attempt at FHM. But there is a super high level of awesomeness that they can hit in maybe their 2nd attempt or with patches and updates. So I want people to support this game so they keep making it in the future, these guys are doing great work.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Their baseball sim is amazing. I recommend it to anyone who likes management sims even if they don't particularly care for baseball. I haven't watched a complete MLB game in years and I'm hopelessly addicted to this game.

They likely won't hit this level of polish with their first attempt at FHM. But there is a super high level of awesomeness that they can hit in maybe their 2nd attempt or with patches and updates. So I want people to support this game so they keep making it in the future, these guys are doing great work.
I've played OOTP baseball, which is why I asked how close the FHM will be. I will probably bite the bullet and go with the beta.

Are they starting with NHL names and players or is it generic teams/players like in OOTP?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Crankshaft wrote: I've played OOTP baseball, which is why I asked how close the FHM will be. I will probably bite the bullet and go with the beta.

Are they starting with NHL names and players or is it generic teams/players like in OOTP?
There are real names for all the leagues. OOTP has real names as well, I don't know what version you played haha.

OOTP 14 is 50% off for the all star break, so $20 right now. You sim junkies should jump on this haha.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

EHM -- what a game. Haven't fired that up in a year or so. May need to soon.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Can you give those devs some advice on how to beef up the coaching? I think I read on the forums that they are going to have a game view overhaul, which is definitely sorely needed because right now I cannot tell what is going on the game other than the boxscore stuff. But they need to implement hockey related systems like 1-2-2 et. al. instead of just having those meters which are too abstract in hockey terms. I don't see any mention of this on the forums, but to me this is not a hockey game if you don't have hockey systems.

Coaching/scouting is next in line and I plan to be vocal.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Crankshaft wrote:

I have downloaded the baseball game, but was too overwhelmed because I don't know enough about baseball. I can't speak to their similarities at any meaningful level I'm afraid.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

mikey287 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote: Have you played their baseball simulator? How close will that game compare to the hockey manager?
I have downloaded the baseball game, but was too overwhelmed because I don't know enough about baseball. I can't speak to their similarities at any meaningful level I'm afraid.
There are 3 video tutorials you can watch. The link is displayed in the opening splash screen. I highly recommend the 2nd one, which describes MLB roster management, which is a beast. That is the biggest difference, as MLB has a weird and highly complex roster system, which is fun once you get the hang of it.

I guess the other differences:
- The roster system described above. Totally different in baseball. You have AAA, AA, three A teams, plus an international development squad. You can micro manage all of this if you want as far as setting who is starting and what not.
- OOTP has a different and (imo) superior scouting system to FHM and EHM.
- MLB and NHL have totally different financial realities. In OOTP you don't have a cap, your cap is set by your owner's budget which varies team by team.
- OOTP is baseball, so coaching during the game is currently way more fun, since a baseball coach can make discrete decisions on a pitch-by-pitch bases. It isn't so granular as to tell your pitcher what pitches to pitch, but you can tell them to pitch out or intentional walk. You can pick infield configurations and outfield shifts. You can choose when to steal, hit and run, bunt, etc. And obviously when to put in relief pitchers and DHs and pinch runners.
- OOTP is just a lot more refined, since it is in its like 5th iteration I guess. The UI, the AI, everything is just refined, as you would expect.
- FHM supports a million different playable leagues. OOTP is only the MLB and minors IIRC.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

So I gave in and got the beta. Once this thing gets going, would anyone be interested in having an online league? Maybe do a smaller league/fantasy draft?