Predict the Compliance Buyouts

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Predict the Compliance Buyouts

Post by Beveridge »

tfrizz wrote:Gotta figure Luongo to PHI is the next move we'll hear of.

I will buy a Luongo Flyers jersey if they are stupid enough to trade for him with his contract.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller 34s
By the way ... I heard Bryz had 4 blowouts last season with Lavy. And I heard players couldn't stand him.

Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller
Bryz personally asked me several times if and when I thought the Flyers would fire Lavy

And #Flyers fans, you might as well know this: Bryz ripped fans to me, ripped his coach and ripped other members of media

And ... I personally witnessed two Flyers people arguing about Bryz in a bar this year. One was destroying him, calling him a cancer
Last edited by tfrizz on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Beveridge wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Gotta figure Luongo to PHI is the next move we'll hear of.

I will buy a Luongo Flyers jersey if they are stupid enough to trade for him with his contract.
Well, his contract does fall perfectly inline with typical Flyers signings.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

So no matter who Bryz signs with, he still gets the full money from the Flyers right?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

AlexPKeaton wrote:So no matter who Bryz signs with, he still gets the full money from the Flyers right?
He gets $1.6-million per year for 14 years from the Flyers, which means he can sign at a discount somewhere if he wants to.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

AlexPKeaton wrote:So no matter who Bryz signs with, he still gets the full money from the Flyers right?
2/3 of the remaining value since he is 26+

Without looking, I think its 1/3 under 26 and 2/3 26 and over.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

tfrizz wrote:
He gets $1.6-million per year for 14 years from the Flyers, which means he can sign at a discount somewhere if he wants to.
Or sign for full money and make a killing haha.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 28m

Bryzgalov will end up making about $40-million for his two years for the Flyers.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

philly gets two free passes as far as i'm concerned with this buyouts.

Total **** that this is even in place.

Basically Philly (and not many other teams) can be total idiots and just buy out two players if they were "too dumb".

Just ridiculous.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

So whoever signs him has to at least pay him 2/3's of his previous contract?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

pens2005 wrote:So whoever signs him has to at least pay him 2/3's of his previous contract?
Philly pays him 2/3 of the remaining value on the contract over the next 14 years.

Bryz becomes a FA and can sign for w/e his heart desires.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by since1970 »

.....I guess it woild've been too hard to get in the CBA anything that said you can buy him out but you still get a cap hit for whatever the compliance amount, in this case 1.6 for whatever the remainder of Bryz's original contract would've been, that way the team doesn't get a free pass.....
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

That defeats the purpose of the compliance buyout. The CBA does state that about the cap hit, but we're not talking about a regular buyout. The purpose of the compliance buyout is to allow teams to come into compliance with the new CBA, which includes getting in under the cap.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

but also to rid themselves of bad contracts. if it were strictly for cap compliance, they wouldn't allow it after next season as everything anyone has ever said about the cap after next season, it will rise a decent amount.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

They'll never admit that they worked that in just to free some teams of bad contacts.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by since1970 »

wouldn't his hit have been a lot more if they wouldn't buy him out, so I'm not getting with they couldn't come into compliance with just a hit of 1.6, instead of 5 or 6 mil, or whatever he was supposed to make. I gotta agree this is a get out of jail card.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

tfrizz wrote:Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller 34s
By the way ... I heard Bryz had 4 blowouts last season with Lavy. And I heard players couldn't stand him.

Bryz personally asked me several times if and when I thought the Flyers would fire Lavy

And #Flyers fans, you might as well know this: Bryz ripped fans to me, ripped his coach and ripped other members of media

And ... I personally witnessed two Flyers people arguing about Bryz in a bar this year. One was destroying him, calling him a cancer
This Randy Miller reminds me of Mark Madden, telling tales out of school. Could be true, could not be.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Idoit40fans wrote:They'll never admit that they worked that in just to free some teams of bad contacts.
IIRC, they did the same thing after the last lockout. They've got to let teams get out of some contracts so they can comply with the lower salary cap. Of course teams are going to use them to get out of bad contracts - if the contracts weren't bad, they wouldn't want to buy them out.
since1970 wrote:wouldn't his hit have been a lot more if they wouldn't buy him out, so I'm not getting with they couldn't come into compliance with just a hit of 1.6, instead of 5 or 6 mil, or whatever he was supposed to make. I gotta agree this is a get out of jail card.
In terms of Bryzgalov, here's how it works:

He was set to earn $34,500,000 over the remaining 7 years of his contract. Since he's in the 26+ group, a buyout costs 1/3 the cap hit ($1,642,857) over twice the remaining length (14 years). Under a regular buyout, they would also be charged with an equivalent cap penalty ($1,642,857 per year for 14 years); but since they used one of their two compliance buyouts, they are only responsible for the money and won't receive the cap penalty.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Flyers to buyout Bryz

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id= ... l:topheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Even without Briere and Bryz, the Flyers still have only $5 million in cap space (after Pronger's LTIR is taken off the books--they should have really changed that rule).
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3h
Ray Emery will have options. Among them, the Philadelphia Flyers. Nabokov will likely be of some interest to the Flyers as well.

Not going to lie. I'm more excited to see what Flyers do for the goalie than I am on what Pens do with Letang, Dupuis, etc.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Beveridge wrote:Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3h
Ray Emery will have options. Among them, the Philadelphia Flyers. Nabokov will likely be of some interest to the Flyers as well.

Not going to lie. I'm more excited to see what Flyers do for the goalie than I am on what Pens do with Letang, Dupuis, etc.
I can truly say that I don't give a flying #$%^ what the Flyers do for a goalie or anything else.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

offsides wrote:
Beveridge wrote:Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3h

I can truly say that I don't give a flying #$%^ what the Flyers do for a goalie or anything else.

I mean it from a pure humor standpoint. They keep digging themselves deeper and deeper with their handling of goalies. They one up themselves every year.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Could the Flyers attempt to get Ryan Miller?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Kovy27 wrote:Could the Flyers attempt to get Ryan Miller?
They could attempt to, yea. Ain't happening though.