briere

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: briere

Post by Pitts »

Sarcastic wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Source on the Streit deal says that his contract will not be validated by the NHL until they dump Bryz and Briere.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/17/fl ... nny-briere
That is because, by adding Streit's rumored deal, Philly sits at roughly $75 million on a $64 million cap. Idiots.
Are you serious. And they still don't have a team to compete.
Capgeek has added Streit's rumored deal into Philly's budget: http://www.capgeek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$7.8 mil over next year's cap already.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

But that's with bonuses for Schenn (especially) and Couturier that are unachievable. It also has Pronger's LTIR still, there's no IR in the offseason. I'm not sure how it is cap circumvention considering he is hurt...it's not like they broke his legs and went, "see! this is no good..." It hurts them that he's not playing...
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

It's not cap circumvention this upcoming season but after that he'll essentially be retired. Even if he could return, at some point it will be in Philly's best interests for him to remain on IR and not file his retirement papers until after his contract expires. If he is away from the game all of next season, I don't see him returning and playing anywhere near his cap hit.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Briere aint the player she used'ta be.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:It's not cap circumvention this upcoming season but after that he'll essentially be retired. Even if he could return, at some point it will be in Philly's best interests for him to remain on IR and not file his retirement papers until after his contract expires. If he is away from the game all of next season, I don't see him returning and playing anywhere near his cap hit.
Pronger says he still wants to come back. But, let's assume that's impossible. I believe the same protocols for LTIR apply if a player is forced to retire due to injury (the only case I can potentially cite is Vladimir Malakhov, who was a 35+ contract who was wiped (well, as far as LTIR goes) from New Jersey's books in 2006 as I recall). So, regardless, they are circumventing anything, they need him...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pronger's injury + ensuing cap relief is a net loss for the flyers by a large margin. they'd trade that cap space for 75% of pronger in a heart beat.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by beLIEve »

I'm going on a bit of a rant here, but I can't help myself.

The Briere situation is a perfect example of why these amnesty buyouts are crap. Absolute crap.

I remember when the Flyers signed Briere to this ridiculous deal back in 07-08. I said at the time that: they can enjoy him now, but this contract will suck for them at the end of his deal. I was of the opinion that they signed him for too much money for too long. He was signed to an 8 year deal, AAV 6.5 mil, structured as: 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 3, 2.

So they were pay a guy 10 million in year 1 while having him only count as 6.5 million against the cap. In fact, in every year he's played so far, he's made more money than his cap hit. Thats fine though, right? Things all work out in those final 2 years where he's making next to nothing but counting as 6.5, right? Nope. Compliance buyout. With 0 cap implications. That means that the Flyers enjoyed the luxury of paying a player more money than his cap hit for every single year he played for the team.

That's why I hate these compliance buyouts. They should have to suffer in some way, shape, or form. Whether that be not allowing them to sign Streit, or forcing them to unload Briere in an unfavorable trade where they have to give up additional assets in order for a team to take him. Something, ANYTHING, would be better than just letting them pay additional money to get out of this scott free. It defeats the whole idea of a cap in the first place. It lets the rich teams get away with things that the poor teams cant.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

beLIEve wrote:I'm going on a bit of a rant here, but I can't help myself.

The Briere situation is a perfect example of why these amnesty buyouts are crap. Absolute crap.

I remember when the Flyers signed Briere to this ridiculous deal back in 07-08. I said at the time that: they can enjoy him now, but this contract will suck for them at the end of his deal. I was of the opinion that they signed him for too much money for too long. He was signed to an 8 year deal, AAV 6.5 mil, structured as: 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 3, 2.

So they were pay a guy 10 million in year 1 while having him only count as 6.5 million against the cap. In fact, in every year he's played so far, he's made more money than his cap hit. Thats fine though, right? Things all work out in those final 2 years where he's making next to nothing but counting as 6.5, right? Nope. Compliance buyout. With 0 cap implications. That means that the Flyers enjoyed the luxury of paying a player more money than his cap hit for every single year he played for the team.

That's why I hate these compliance buyouts. They should have to suffer in some way, shape, or form. Whether that be not allowing them to sign Streit, or forcing them to unload Briere in an unfavorable trade where they have to give up additional assets in order for a team to take him. Something, ANYTHING, would be better than just letting them pay additional money to get out of this scott free. It defeats the whole idea of a cap in the first place. It lets the rich teams get away with things that the poor teams cant.
I agree. The flyers work the system better than anyone.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

See, if the Flyers had to suffer for Briere's contract, then they might actually learn from their mistakes. This way, they'll continue to give away bad contracts (Streit), and thus, never put together a stanley cup winning team. It's not so bad.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Flyers Statement on Danny Briere
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:pop:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Briere would look pretty good on The Isles. In fact, if he was playing for them in May we could very well have lost that series if we start choking on the PK.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Briere is going to have his choice of destinations July 5th.