briere

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: briere

Post by mikey287 »

Hartnell is a quality complementary winger on a scoring line. He definitely has value. Plus, he's a big fan favorite. Apples and gorillas comparing Briere and Hartnell, not close in terms of buyout odds...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hartnell's heel act is good for the league; there's too many personality-free players.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There is nothing wrong with Hartnell's cap hit. He's worth that.

I agree. Actually many people felt he took a significant discount at the time that he signed that deal.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/08/2 ... hes-worth/
Hartnell would be flayed as a Pen on LGP with that contract after this past season. Projected over 82 game, his production would have been 20G, 8A. By no reasonable standard was his season representative of good value for the price paid. Take away his production and he's a dime a dozen player. There are a lot of fruity acts like his in the minors.
Last edited by Desiato on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

mikey287 wrote:Hartnell is a quality complementary winger on a scoring line. He definitely has value. Plus, he's a big fan favorite. Apples and gorillas comparing Briere and Hartnell, not close in terms of buyout odds...
Maybe not in the two years that Briere is still signed, but Hartnell is signed for 6 more years, which makes him 37 years at the end of this contract. He's been super durable to this point, but power forward don't generally last that long. Maybe its just me, but I would want to get the most money off my books with a buyout. Good point about being a fan favorite though.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I've seen a few people on the boards mentioning Briere and the Pens. Who do you see him fitting in with here? and at the expense of whom? curious. I never thought about Briere. To me he was always a center...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Desiato wrote:Take away his production and he's a dime a dozen player.
I just wanted to pull that out of the post so you can see it.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Getting To My Game »

Kaizer wrote:briere is a playoff performer. not everyone needs to be a bone crushing checker to win. he's got about as much toughness as Neal, with a much better hockey mind, and passing ability. I'd rather have him than keep watching Iginla enter the zone, lose the puck, exit the zone.
I agree with this, Briere is unbelievable in the postseason. People here can mock his smurf size and whatever else they want about him, but the midget shows up when it counts.

His 2010 postseason was one of the best in NHL history.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Yeah it was, if you compare the 09 and 10 playoffs, he had maybe the 3rd best postseason in a 2 season stretch...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Getting To My Game wrote:His 2010 postseason was one of the best in NHL history.
Jesus Christ...it wasn't even the best performance in the 2010 playoffs. So, unless that was the only playoffs you ever watched, that's a ridiculously strong kick to the sack of NHL history...and for no reason at all either...
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

mikey287 wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:His 2010 postseason was one of the best in NHL history.
Jesus Christ...it wasn't even the best performance in the 2010 playoffs. So, unless that was the only playoffs you ever watched, that's a ridiculously strong kick to the sack of NHL history...and for no reason at all either...
I'm sorry. I know that not all of us can be the authority of everything NHL, all the time. I bow down to your supreme hockey wisdom, I'm honored just to be on the same forum with such a hockey mind, honestly.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Two choices:
Rylan wrote:lol
or

You know what you said is wrong...why say it? I mean, there's two things: if you know history, you know it's not true. If you don't, then you shouldn't really make the claim because of how outwardly silly it sounds in a vacuum anyway. Granted, I shouldn't have bothered...but it really was a pretty egregious thing to say...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I didn't even post and mikey knew exactly what I would have typed. Weird.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Rylan wrote:I didn't even post and mikey knew exactly what I would have typed. Weird.
I use that quite frequently now. So simple, yet so fitting in so many cases...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

It gets points across without hurting feelings most often.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Rylan wrote:It gets points across without hurting feelings most often.
One of the best "getting your point across without hurting feelings most often" performances in board history. Unless, Mikey wants to chime in and tell me otherwise.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Getting To My Game wrote:
Rylan wrote:It gets points across without hurting feelings most often.
One of the best "getting your point across without hurting feelings most often" performances in board history. Unless, Mikey wants to chime in and tell me otherwise.
Actually it is. Went down in the annals of LGP history as one of the most concise responses without anyone negativity. There was a parade and everything.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

mikey287 wrote:
Plus, counting this up coming season, it will have been 4 years ago. Some people seem to forget that players age and become significantly less effective as that happens.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Pitt87 »

Source on the Streit deal says that his contract will not be validated by the NHL until they dump Bryz and Briere.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/17/fl ... nny-briere
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pitt87 wrote:Source on the Streit deal says that his contract will not be validated by the NHL until they dump Bryz and Briere.

That is because, by adding Streit's rumored deal, Philly sits at roughly $75 million on a $64 million cap. Idiots.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Pitts wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Source on the Streit deal says that his contract will not be validated by the NHL until they dump Bryz and Briere.

That is because, by adding Streit's rumored deal, Philly sits at roughly $75 million on a $64 million cap. Idiots.
Are you serious. And they still don't have a team to compete.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pronger comes off the books at some point with his LTIR
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I wonder if the NHL will allow the Flyers to keep Pronger on LTIR for the duration of his contract. if it is clear he isn't returning, at some point the league needs to treat it as cap circumvention.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Frodo ends up in Detroit
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Pitt87 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I wonder if the NHL will allow the Flyers to keep Pronger on LTIR for the duration of his contract. if it is clear he isn't returning, at some point the league needs to treat it as cap circumvention.
Its the union you'd have to deal with, since the player is legitimately injured and what they are doing is not outside the bounds of the CBA.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Pitt87 »

shmenguin wrote:pronger comes off the books at some point with his LTIR
He doesn't come off the books, but you could argue that he basically gives you Coburn for 82 games at cap-neutral.