Expansion

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Expansion

Post by pcm »

I hadn't heard anything about this for a while, but it sounds like there's actual action on expansion plans in Seattle... depending on the outcome of Phoenix.

A real article from thefourthperiod: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnis ... 30616.html
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Expansion

Post by Getting To My Game »

Makes sense, with 32 teams, you could evenly divide the conferences and divisions to eliminate any concerns about the new playoff format.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

However, if they expand to Seattle and Quebec, they have to re-align. One again, it made zero sense to bring the Red Wings to the Eastern Conference.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Red Wings have a lot of pull. Have always wanted to be back in the East and the league told them if they ever had the chance to, they would do it.

TFP isn't exactly a great source, but there is a little chatter around the league about expansion. But anything can happen in situations like this...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

ugh no expansion por favor.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

Could we keep TK just so we could give him up in an expansion draft?
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

The US Pacific Northwest is the biggest hole in the NHL's geographical coverage. KC would make a lot of sense too, hopefully the Isles will be there soon. Houston is a tough sell with the NBA already in town.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

KC, Seattle would be my targets to try and just balance the league. Quebec would be my target because I want Quebec to have a team.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Getting To My Game »

A Seattle-Vancouver rivalry has the possibility of being pretty awesome.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Put a team in Portland; organic ice would be a big selling point.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

A majority of the teams in the league shouldn't share a time zone as they do currently. Westward expansion just barely happened in this league.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:Red Wings have a lot of pull. Have always wanted to be back in the East and the league told them if they ever had the chance to, they would do it.
You know why it makes zero sense...because the travel is basically the same. No matter what, they still have to go to every city once now. Ruined the CHI-DET rivalry. **** Detroit.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

For Detroit is was because of the timezone issues.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

pcm wrote:I hadn't heard anything about this for a while, but it sounds like there's actual action on expansion plans in Seattle... depending on the outcome of Phoenix.

A real article from thefourthperiod: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnis ... 30616.html
They did not get the NBA team, which means they are desperate for a tenant if they intend to actually build a new arena. It seems that the Coyotes are more likely than expansion at this point: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-roundu ... --nhl.html
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Seattle Oysters
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

I was thinking more like the Seattle Fog.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by TheGhostofGoulet »

The Seattle Hipsters, playing on ice before it's cool.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

columbia wrote:Put a team in Portland; organic ice would be a big selling point.
Just started watching Portlandia.... funny stuff
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

how did the last expansion draft work with teams protecting their players? did you have to volunteer X amount of players or were you allowed to protect X amount? did pending UFAs/RFAs count towards the players you were allowed to offer?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

shmenguin wrote:how did the last expansion draft work with teams protecting their players? did you have to volunteer X amount of players or were you allowed to protect X amount? did pending UFAs/RFAs count towards the players you were allowed to offer?
Here are the cliff's notes from the 2000 expansion draft:

Each team was allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

At least one defenseman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

Obviously, it's pretty slim pickins...especially when you factor in that teams will sometimes "bribe" expansion teams not to take an "unprotected" player. Like the Sharks traded Andy Sutton, a 3rd and a 7th to Minnesota for an 8th and the promise that they don't select Evgeni Nabokov in the expansion draft. Interesting how that changes history right there...now the Sharks starter for all these years is Miikka Kiprusoff, not Evgeni Nabokov...

Free agents are probably a case by case thing. I believe qualifying offers have to be submitted in advance of July 1 (I think a week before), so I doubt pending UFAs or as-of-yet unqualified RFAs would count, plus an expansion has little chance to sign them anyhow...but in terms of protected lists, I doubt they would credit for that...but there hasn't been an expansion draft in a while in the NHL, so who knows...the Predators selected Mike Richter as a pending UFA in '98, obviously he didn't sign there...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Do you know where the cutoff was for players/prospects ineligible for the expansion draft? For instance, would Bennett have to be protected? (I'm guessing yes) But what about a guy like Bortuzzo or a guy who's maybe played a couple games in the NHL and then sent back down?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

pcm wrote:Do you know where the cutoff was for players/prospects ineligible for the expansion draft? For instance, would Bennett have to be protected? (I'm guessing yes) But what about a guy like Bortuzzo or a guy who's maybe played a couple games in the NHL and then sent back down?
In my head, I envisioned it as a "waiver draft" then and now. That may or may not be totally accurate, but if you're old enough (and paid close enough attention to actually remember them) to remember the old waiver drafts, I believe it was one of those but the proceeds benefited the expansion team(s).

So, in your scenario specifically. Neither Bennett nor Bortuzzo would need to be protected this past year. I believe Bortuzzo is waiver eligible next year (off hand, could be wrong...), so he would require protection...that's my best guess at it. I honestly don't recall all the details of the process then...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

That makes sense. An expansion draft would be cool... I'd target young players as much as possible. But waiver eligibility would cover a lot of that talent.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

My question for a expansion draft now would be do the new teams have to be salary cap compliant the first year. Lets face it the players they will get in the draft will be making close to league min.

Now with the Eastern confrence having 8 and 8 teams. It would be harder to grant expansions teams in the east unless you just put Detroit and Colombus bavk in the west. Qubec and a 2nd Toronto team are the most rumored to get a franchise. Seattle and KC are most likely rumored to get a relocating franchise. Phoenix and FLorida seems to be most likely to be moved.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I bet you Atlanta learned their lesson. They should have a team if there is expansion