George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by blackjack68 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Maisie Williams' (Arya Stark) reaction to the latest episode:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
Anyone notice the red sticker behind her?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Gaucho wrote:Sam
Hey, I think he’s an interesting character. Then again, as a Big Fat Guy, I have a predisposition for characters who are also Big Fat Guys. I think Sam will have an interesting fate in the books, and I’ll make a completely unsubstantiated prediction right now: Sam will still be standing at the end.

Also, those reaction videos are just awesome. All of us book readers who saw the show-viewers' reaction to Ned getting his too-close haircut back in Season 1 have been thinking ever since, “Oh, you thought that was shocking? Killing off a main character so suddenly? Wait ’til the Red Wedding!”
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

DelPen wrote:More Major Spoilers from the rest of Storm of Swords...
Spoiler:
Tywin doesn't die until much later after the trial. I would expect that to be near the end of next season as there is still plenty of stuff to get through before the end of Strom of swords like:
The entire trial of Tyrion and Shae's betrayal
Red Viper coming to Kings Landing and the trial by combat with the Mountain
Arya and the hound traveling a bit more and then Arya eventually using the coin from Joquin to get to Bravos
Catelyn being revealed as Lady Stoneheart
Jaime and Brienne getting back to Kingslanding
Littlefinger getting Sansa to the Eyrie and marrying Lysa and then taking full control
The wildling assault on the wall
Sam and gillie meeting up with Bran and Coldhands
Stanis coming north to battle the others
Jon becoming lord commander of the watch
the sacking of mereen and Mormont's betrayal

And THEN we can kill off Tywin. So much left to go over in Storm of Swords

Guessing we just see the news of Balon Grayjoy dying, news of the Red Wedding and Joffrey choking to death as the final scene next week.
Spoiler:
I don’t think Joffrey will die this season. His death doesn’t come until after Oberyn Martell arrives in King’s Landing, and the Red Viper won’t appear until next season. Also, if they are splitting Storm of Swords into two parts, I think they’ll want to save it for next season, as they already have the incredible kicker of the Red Wedding this season. I bet the last episode will feature the death of Balon Greyjoy, Bran being led through the Wall by Sam, and the attack on Castle Black by the wildlings with the accompanying death of Ygritte. It wouldn’t surprise me if they end the season with her dying “You know nothing, John Snow…”
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Shyster wrote:
DelPen wrote:More Major Spoilers from the rest of Storm of Swords...
Spoiler:
Tywin doesn't die until much later after the trial. I would expect that to be near the end of next season as there is still plenty of stuff to get through before the end of Strom of swords like:
The entire trial of Tyrion and Shae's betrayal
Red Viper coming to Kings Landing and the trial by combat with the Mountain
Arya and the hound traveling a bit more and then Arya eventually using the coin from Joquin to get to Bravos
Catelyn being revealed as Lady Stoneheart
Jaime and Brienne getting back to Kingslanding
Littlefinger getting Sansa to the Eyrie and marrying Lysa and then taking full control
The wildling assault on the wall
Sam and gillie meeting up with Bran and Coldhands
Stanis coming north to battle the others
Jon becoming lord commander of the watch
the sacking of mereen and Mormont's betrayal

And THEN we can kill off Tywin. So much left to go over in Storm of Swords

Guessing we just see the news of Balon Grayjoy dying, news of the Red Wedding and Joffrey choking to death as the final scene next week.
Spoiler:
I don’t think Joffrey will die this season. His death doesn’t come until after Oberyn Martell arrives in King’s Landing, and the Red Viper won’t appear until next season. Also, if they are splitting Storm of Swords into two parts, I think they’ll want to save it for next season, as they already have the incredible kicker of the Red Wedding this season. I bet the last episode will feature the death of Balon Greyjoy, Bran being led through the Wall by Sam, and the attack on Castle Black by the wildlings with the accompanying death of Ygritte. It wouldn’t surprise me if they end the season with her dying “You know nothing, John Snow…”
Spoiler:
or let her live?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

the wicked child wrote:
DelPen wrote:Am I alone thinking Game of Thrones will run out of material maybe before Winds of Winter is released and most certainly before the last book is released?
Not at all... I commented on it recently... I think they only have material for 2-3 more seasons depending on how much they condense books 4 and 5. And let's be honest... A lot of those books aren't making it into the show.
This is something I see being discussed a lot, mainly because Martin writes soooooooooooo daaaaaaaaaaamn sloooooooooooooooowly, but it seems like HBO is content in having the series finish before Martin finishes the books. He's provided the producers with enough broad strokes and pertinent story details that they can finish the storyline with pretty good accuracy while Martin is busy stalling and thinking and writing and rewriting and writing side novels and short stories that no one cares about.

As a sidenote: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/05/game-o ... e-in-mind/

I haven't read the books (tried to read the first book, Martin's writing style doesn't keep my attention), but does seven seasons for seven books seem like enough to those of you that read the books? Based on the comments on that article it seems like in the more recent books Martin's wordy writing style and penchant to side track with little payoff to the main storyline has resulted in bloated books that can easily be pared down to fit seven seasons of television. The wicked child's opinion is already out there, but what say the rest of you?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
or let her live?
Spoiler:
Nah, she gotta go. Also, I believe Jon doesn't kill her himself; he finds her dying after the battle's over.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Yeah in all probability the HBO series will finish before the book series, thereby spoiling the book readers haha.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah in all probability the HBO series will finish before the book series, thereby spoiling the book readers haha.
I've just about come to peace with the idea of not reading another book in the series and letting the show take over. The last 2 have become quite the chore to get through
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah in all probability the HBO series will finish before the book series, thereby spoiling the book readers haha.
I only rarely downlo... err... I mean use my fully paid premium cable subscription to watch Game of Thrones. I can certainly avoid the show.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Seen on Facebook today:
Spoiler:
"Crows Before Hoes" ~Jon Snow
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

blackjack68 wrote:Seen on Facebook today:
Spoiler:
That's awesome! :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

It's certainly possible that the show could jump ahead of the books. It's hard to say if 7 seasons would be enough to finish the story or not. I guess if they cover the remainder of 3 and all of 4-5 within 2 seasons, it is reasonable. I think they'll condense a lot of the stuff in book 4 and 5 so I could maybe see them finishing those by the end of season 5. From there, I guess it depends how much story is left to tell.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Well, we have another year to wait...and that will get us through the 3rd book...you figure 2 more seasons for the last two books worth of material..there's a lot there, but nothing really 'happening'...I wouldn't be disappointed if the show added something major to the books to keep it a little more interesting through that material...and then by that time WoW should be released...so realistically I see it overtaking only the last book, probably the most important part of the series, but what can you do.

I bet if Martin lets HBO finish the series before him he will either switch something up in the book or append some additional material onto it. Just speculation on my part though.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Spoiler:

I saw this on FB yesterday
Spoiler:
Why doesnt GRRM use twitter? Because he killed off all 140 characters
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

stopper40 wrote:
Spoiler:

I saw this on FB yesterday
Spoiler:
Why doesnt GRRM use twitter? Because he killed off all 140 characters
Also a good one!
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I just thought about something about WoW. With all the other books, They have had multiple years to look over and plan how they are going to adapt the books to the show. With WoW, they aren't going to have much time to get everything in order unless WoW is released within a year.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Sure...but GRRM knows what he's going to write.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Spangler wrote:I just thought about something about WoW. With all the other books, They have had multiple years to look over and plan how they are going to adapt the books to the show. With WoW, they aren't going to have much time to get everything in order unless WoW is released within a year.
Well there is still the second half of Storm of Swords to round out Season 4. that I;m guessing will start filming soon. Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons can easily be at least 3 if not 4 seasons between the two, there is a lot of subject matter and the TV show can really fill in the missing pieces if they get a general sense where Martin is going to keep it fairly in line with Winds of Winter and what i think after is the final book.

So I'd guess as long as WoW comes out by July 2015 in it's final edited down version that would be right after Season 5 ends and before Season 6 starts filming and at that point we are maybe half way through the events of Books 4 and 5. I don't see a problem here.

Now Book 7/Season 9 or 10 might have a problem :scared:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Yeah, I'm half way through the second book, but I have all 5 sitting on my shelf, and I think HBO can stretch out those 5 books for 6 or 7 seasons if they needed. And who knows, by then maybe production will be too much and they cancel the show.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

There was talk of them aiming for 7 seasons, so if that holds true, I am expecting them to heavily condense book 4 and 5.

Yeah, they could do a few seasons on those alone, but let's be honest here... There are large parts of those books that are boring to read and not necessarily vital to the overall story.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:There was talk of them aiming for 7 seasons, so if that holds true, I am expecting them to heavily condense book 4 and 5.

Yeah, they could do a few seasons on those alone, but let's be honest here... There are large parts of those books that are boring to read and not necessarily vital to the overall story.
So skip Feast for Crows then? :pop:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I was thinking of a lot of ADWD... Found a way to make some of my favorite characters' stories boring... Whereas the big problem with AFFC is that it only covers part of the world and brings in 50 more characters, only some of which you actually care about.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:I was thinking of a lot of ADWD... Found a way to make some of my favorite characters' stories boring... Whereas the big problem with AFFC is that it only covers part of the world and brings in 50 more characters, only some of which you actually care about.
Does everyone agree Storm of Swords is the best book? As for material keeping in line with minimal character and plot introductions outside the main characters we still have this after season 4 wraps up:
Spoiler:
-Restoration of the Faith Militant
-Mention of siege at Dragonstone and Loras
-Cersei imprisoned for her crimes by the Faith
-Jaime's dealing with the Riverlands
-Brienne and Pod's search for Sansa and then finding Lady Stoneheart
-Littlefinger winning over the lords of the Vale
-The Kingsmoot and rise of the Crow's Eye
-Revelation in Dorne of their plans to align with Dany
-Sam traveling South
-Jon executing Janos and then being betrayed
-Bran finding the 3-eyed crow
-Tyrion making hsi way to Meereen with Griif, Auegon and eventually Jorah
-Drogon coming in during the fights and taking Dany away
-Qunetin being killed by the dragons
-Arya's transformation into an assasin
-Theon capturing Deepwood Motte
-Jayne Poole and Ramsey and then Mance coming in to rescue them
-Stannis deciding to attack Winterfell
-Cersei does her walk of shame and meets Robert the Strong
-The golden company invades the storm lands with Aegon and Griff
-Victarion's voyage to Slaver's Bay

And that's pretty much it...
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

^^This is what is killing me right now. I haven't really watched the series, but I loved the books and finished them around 8 months ago. I don't even recognize a third of the names above, much less the stories that involve them.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Well we probably have about 2,000 more pages to go in the saga...I think the story is fairly straightforward from a pacing point of view...Game of Thrones is the exposition, Clash of Kings is the rising action, A Storm of Swords is a mini-climax, A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons is the falling action, setting itself up for another upward climb in Winds of Winter and a climactic ending in the last novel.

With that said, the show will probably lose some followers if they stay true to the last two books because there isn't much happening regarding the overall story arc.